Rumor: Rangers looking to deal for D

Dec 8, 2010
Well, folks can say what they want about you, Dagoon. You are an interesting character and stand by your opinions and that's a good thing.

But what you've proven in the past is, you have connections, and more often then not when you post something like this, it comes true. Most recently, you posted something about Clowe, about a week or so later, there was Clowe in a Rangers uniform. Tortorella. Boom, no more Tortorella.

So, IMO, if we do trade Staal, it's gotta be Carolina i'd assume. Tlusty+McBain+1st. Or, if Tyler Seguin is available, how about Staal for Seguin? Franchise D for franchise C. Or how about to Colorado for Matt Duchene? Edmonton for Eberle +1st.

A LOT of options in a Staal trade.

Scuderi? Ehhhhhhhhh they could do much better.

Omg, can you imagine if they dealt Staal for Seguin? I would have fits seeing Staal in a Bruins jersey and he would make that team so much better! Scary. Bruins win that trade hands down.

Scuderi CANT be enough. I hope it isn't true. Now Kopitar ... now we're beginning to talk. Staal and Richards for Kopitar. Get 'er done!

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
Omg, can you imagine if they dealt Staal for Seguin? I would have fits seeing Staal in a Bruins jersey and he would make that team so much better! Scary. Bruins win that trade hands down.

Scuderi CANT be enough. I hope it isn't true. Now Kopitar ... now we're beginning to talk. Staal and Richards for Kopitar. Get 'er done!

God no. We can't buy him out then and will get bent over for recapture.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Am I going to be the only one reaaaally interested when the canes come up at 5?

Gonna say polak and Perron from stl are targets for dz , Boyle, Pyatt

Last edited:

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
If Staal were traded, Id like to see Scuderi here. Hell, if Del Zotto is moved, I'd like to see Scuderi here. Great bottom-pairing defenseman, excellent penalty killer, tough as nails, and a veteran with two cup rings.

Now, I'd be intrigued as to what Staal could return. I could honestly see #5 for Staal, it makes sense; not because his name is Staal and because it's the Hurricanes, it's because the Rangers effectively clear cap space with this move and also secure an asset that is most likely NHL ready next year in a third/fourth line role (READ: Sean Monahan, Valeri Nichuskin, potentially Elias Lindholm). The Hurricanes also get what they're looking for in a top-notch defenseman. Could probably get Caroline to throw something else in there, as well.

I don't see how this makes sense for either team. The Rangers are trading Staal to create cap space? We could have bought out Richards and had tons of cap space. Richards is still expected to be bought out next summer, barring an injury, and we don't need additional cap space to sign our current RFAs.

Carolina has cap issues of their own. Why would they trade the #5 pick for a player that may or may not be able to return to form following an eye injury? If anything, they would want to trade someone like Skinner (whose name has been mentioned in trade rumors) because he makes a lot of money and has had injury concerns as well.

OrbitalDynamics

#Unsurprised
May 22, 2008
Stalag Luft JFK
You would think with Staal returning from a serious eye injury his value would be lower at this point than Delzotto's.

D in general seem to be garnering a premium this year as witnessed by Streit in Philadelphia.

Also, everyone seems to automatically assume Staal wants to go play with his family and live in North Carolina.He's a single 20 something year old making several million dollars a year living in Manhattan.I love my brothers but I would have zero interest in working with them, I grew up with them.Making your own name for yourself can't be discounted.

Never mind the other two in Carolina already have their name on the cup.

SupersonicMonkey*

Seguin is a franchise center. He's the center we haven't had since Messier. Maybe more accurately, since we traded Ratelle to Boston.

Seguin would be just about the best possible return you could get for Staal. No #5 pick, no depth players, would come close.

Seguin is available for the right package. Rumors. Is Staal the right package? It makes Boston stronger. It also makes us stronger. And then maybe the Rangers change their minds and buyout Richards afterward.

Seguin
Stepan
Brassard

Now thats a core of centers to build on.

SupersonicMonkey*

You would think with Staal returning from a serious eye injury his value would be lower at this point than Delzotto's.

D in general seem to be garnering a premium this year as witnessed by Streit in Philadelphia.

Also, everyone seems to automatically assume Staal wants to go play with his family and live in North Carolina.He's a single 20 something year old making several million dollars a year living in Manhattan.I love my brothers but I would have zero interest in working with them, I grew up with them.Making your own name for yourself can't be discounted.

Never mind the other two in Carolina already have their name on the cup.

Marc Staal is married.

Quick google search: Marc Staal married =
http://hockeyfortheladies.blogspot.com/2011/08/another-staal-down-only-two-to-go.html?m=1

SupersonicMonkey*

Okay great.Does his wife want to go from Manhattan to Raleigh? :laugh:

The point remains, does he have this compulsion to go play hockey with his brothers? Something he literally grew up doing?

He has no say in the matter.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
Wow, thanks for info. So beaver stays and staal is possibly dealt partially due to lack of cap room.
Lololololololol this sounds appropriate. So sad.......

LOL, that's a good way of looking at it!

Keep the overpaid 3C ahead of the underpaid first pairing defenseman. :)

Jan 8, 2012
NY
Seguin is a franchise center. He's the center we haven't had since Messier. Maybe more accurately, since we traded Ratelle to Boston.

Seguin would be just about the best possible return you could get for Staal. No #5 pick, no depth players, would come close.

Seguin is available for the right package. Rumors. Is Staal the right package? It makes Boston stronger. It also makes us stronger. And then maybe the Rangers change their minds and buyout Richards afterward.

Seguin
Stepan
Brassard

Now thats a core of centers to build on.

Have people not learned yet that Tyler Seguin has been playing RW his entire NHL career?

Kershaw

This would be fantastic. Staal or no Staal, we desperately need a good RS dman like Scuderi. I've wanted to sign him since the end of last season. I know Machinehead is foaming in his mouth too at the thought of him coming to the Rangers.

Last edited by a moderator:

The New Originals

Feb 10, 2006
A.V. Land
ROB SCUDERI
From the kings may be heading to ny.

Nice. Solid player with plenty of playoff experience.

Staal may be in play because of cap space.

Who in the world are they trading for/signing that would necessitate moving Staal for cap space? :laugh:

Watch for the devils to make a big splash Sunday bobby Ryan or Vinny L.

Bobby Ryan would be a great addition for them. Wonder what they'd have to give up for him, though.

Kershaw

Have people not learned yet that Tyler Seguin has been playing RW his entire NHL career?

Not to mention damaged goods like Staal won't return Seguin. I have a feeling the Rangers are better off riding out his contract because I don't think there is much demand for him IMO.

Jabroni

The People's Champ
Jun 1, 2008
I'd assume this wouldn't be a 1 for 1 trade. Staal straight up for Scuderi sounds like it's missing something.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
If Staal is in play because of cap space issues, my guess is that they aren't looking for an NHL player in return for him.

SupersonicMonkey*

Hes a natural center. Because he slots there now doesnt mean thats where his career will be.

"Entire NHL career" all 203 games of it, at the age of 21.

SupersonicMonkey*

If Staal is in play for cap issues, they shouldn't have kept Richards' awful contract.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
We would move Staal for cap reasons why? To sign 3rd and 4th liners? You don't trade Staal for anything just to shed cap smfh

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad