Prospect Info: Prospects Part 5: IceHogs/Fuel/College & Juniors/Int'l

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
You have to find a way to get him signed. Send down Car bomb and Carry 8 Dmen. We traded away AC and Dahlback. TVR sounds like he got slowed down quite a bit. Let him sit on the roster for 9 games and play a few. It would make him $100K this year. He can compete for 1 of the 3 open spots on the D next year.

If TVR does not get back to where he was, After Pokka and Johns who is our next best D prospect? We went from loaded to thin really quick if he does not sign.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
20mil? Most he can sign for is 3.75mil (approx.) per year, and he would only get paid a majority of that if he reaches his bonuses. (Other wise it's like 925k/yr).

He could want to get his degree, and play for a contender when he get's out of College. I know it's unlikely that happens, but there's a possibility. Just pointing out how broke that system is.

Or he passes up being #2 selected and gets hurt

Then is drafted in 4th/5th round and never recovers

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I don't remember when but didn't we have a debate last summer about NCAA drafting obsession of Stan

After Hayes debacle some of us said we hoped Stan would cut back on NCAA picks. If we lose Paliotta as well then Stan better change his drafting

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
You can't and shouldn't stop drafting American players. They are constantly being underdrafted. Russians and Collegians.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
I think it's fine drafting NCAA players, but you probably need to sign them after their sophomore year, when most of them would probably bite. Even if you think they still need a little more development. Kevin Hayes signing elsewhere is going to haunt us for a long time. He looks ridiculously promising.

Nothingman*

I think it's fine drafting NCAA players, but you probably need to sign them after their sophomore year, when most of them would probably bite. Even if you think they still need a little more development. Kevin Hayes signing elsewhere is going to haunt us for a long time. He looks ridiculously promising.

This. If you let them go to their junior year they probably think screw it. Make it one more year, get my degree, and my choice of teams if I perform well enough.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
If they want to keep drafting college players they're going to have to look much harder at getting them signed after two years, as others have said. Especially if they lose Paliotta, it's proven to be much too risky to try and get these guys to sign after four years. I think perhaps there was an assumption that guys would just want to be part of this organization, period, no questions asked, and that's clearly not the case at this point. They're going to have to take a good, hard look at how they handle these types of prospects from here on out if they want to continue to draft them as heavily as they do. I get wanting to have players develop a little bit longer and play against more mature competition, but you can't continue to lose them, either. Have to find a better balance and middle ground.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Bowman needs to pull out all the stops to sign Paliotta. Buy him a lama, take him to Disney World, become besties with Mike's parents. Whatever it takes to get him to sign.

Hell, bring Kane along to try smooth things over (not like he's doing much at the moment anyways).

I do not want to see us in another Kayes situation.

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
Why not sign them after there JR year? That would mean you get them 1 year and 4 months before they would become Free agents.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Bowman needs to pull out all the stops to sign Paliotta. Buy him a lama, take him to Disney World, become besties with Mike's parents. Whatever it takes to get him to sign.

Hell, bring Kane along to try smooth things over (not like he's doing much at the moment anyways).

I do not want to see us in another Kayes situation.

exactly.

we are not talking about elite elite players, but these guys are still difference makers, and having Kayes on this team right now would be a massive upgrade. Paliotta is on that same level where we lose him, we will regret watching him for 10 years on another team in the NHL...just sickens me to think this. especially considering we get nothing in return.

and I still remember all the fools laughing at the compensation pick we would get for Kayes as that was going to be better than him..:rant:

cant even imagine how this will feel, finding a stud in the 3rd round only to lose him and get nothing back...this is ********.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
Why not sign them after there JR year? That would mean you get them 1 year and 4 months before they would become Free agents.

Junior year works, too. I only said after two years more for the sake of conversation. Some suggested that some players may want to just stay their for their Senior year at that point cuz it's only one more year. That very well may be the case for some. Everyone's got different situations, wants, etc.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012

Why would a Jr. Paliotta have signed with the Hawks last year? We had 6D locked in for this season and Clendening, Dahlbeck, Johns and like 5 overseas Swedes playing great.

At this rate I'm shocked Johns signed last summer.

By the time the guys are Jrs there is light at the end of the tunnel

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Maybe I am losing my mind but why is there no comp for him (I think I am losing my mind).

I still think he signs with us because I think Stan tells him he will be a Hawk and not a Hog. I would be ok with taking the chance with this going forward next year.

Keith - Seabs
Hammer - Pokka
Johns - Paliotta

TVR

Nothingman*

Maybe I am losing my mind but why is there no comp for him (I think I am losing my mind).

I still think he signs with us because I think Stan tells him he will be a Hawk and not a Hog. I would be ok with taking the chance with this going forward next year.

Keith - Seabs
Hammer - Pokka
Johns - Paliotta

TVR

That would've a pretty decent D corps.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
Here's the difference between signing a sophomore and trying to sign a Junior. I'll use Hayden as an example. As a Sophomore you are probably going to the WJC, you are with all these stars ready to jump to the NHL, be drafted, or leave college. Hayden's at Yale and his major is... drumroll... undecided.

Next year he will be all Yale's. He will be a star and leader of the team. He will have a major (you must declare by then) he knows and loves. He's the man of that program. He leads his team to the NCAA tournament or close and he gets a call from Stan. Why would he leave? He's 15 credit hours from graduating from Yale, he's the captain of the team. He's the star. He'll just hold off for one more year thank you very much.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
This has less to do with getting a degree than it is about picking where you start your NHL career. Guys play years to get that right and this loophole is going to be exploited more frequently now that precedent has been set. These guys will live nearly the same lifestyle they would if they were in a deep organization and likely to play in the AHL. So, it's really not that risky to stay an extra year and get your degree/gain ufa status.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad