Prospect Info: Prospects Part 5: IceHogs/Fuel/College & Juniors/Int'l

Status
Not open for further replies.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
McNeill is a RW who hasn't played in the NHL even though he scores alot. Hawks have Hossa and Kane in the top 6 and McNeill isn't necessarily a bottom 6er. Could get Pirri'd easily in favor of a more protoypical bottom 6er like Baun supposedly is.

Uhh.. McNeill isn't a one-dimensional scorer. He's a solid all-round player that can contribute in a lot of ways, but doesn't have a real standout ability. He's got size, is a good skater, solid playmaker with a good shot but he projects as a complimentary top-9 forward in a Brouwer-ish style, that can play solid two-way hockey and play on the PK.

The biggest reason why he didn't get his shot this year was his injury when Hartman got called up. I have no doubt it would've been McNeill if he was healthy.

If the Hawks are going to move Bickell this off-season, McNiell comfortably slots into the bottom-6 as a replacement.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
Uhh.. McNeill isn't a one-dimensional scorer. He's a solid all-round player that can contribute in a lot of ways, but doesn't have a real standout ability. He's got size, is a good skater, solid playmaker with a good shot but he projects as a complimentary top-9 forward in a Brouwer-ish style, that can play solid two-way hockey and play on the PK.

The biggest reason why he didn't get his shot this year was his injury when Hartman got called up. I have no doubt it would've been McNeill if he was healthy.

If the Hawks are going to move Bickell this off-season, McNiell comfortably slots into the bottom-6 as a replacement.
McNeill is not what I would call a 2way player. And McNeill was healthy when Hartman got the callup.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
McNeill is a RW who hasn't played in the NHL even though he scores alot. Hawks have Hossa and Kane in the top 6 and McNeill isn't necessarily a bottom 6er. Could get Pirri'd easily in favor of a more protoypical bottom 6er like Baun supposedly is.
McNeill is as much of a bottom 6er as he is top 6er, meaning he can play up and down your line up and not be out of place. He could easily take Bickells spot next year as a 3rd line depth scorer.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
McNeill is great, don't get me wrong, but this team has a ton of RW's.

No one will overtake Hossa or Kane at the moment, and we now have McNeill, Baun, and Hartman who all predominantly play RW.

It's an embarrassment of riches at the moment, and Bowman would be wise to at least feel out the market in regards to McNeill.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Hawks have given

Carey
Nordstrom
Danault
Hartman
Baun (Soon)

All looks before McNeill ,, Says enough about how Hawks front office feels about McNeill

At this point he has been disappointment as prospect

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Hawks have given

Carey
Nordstrom
Danault
Hartman
Baun (Soon)

All looks before McNeill ,, Says enough about how Hawks front office feels about McNeill

He's outplayed all of them to this point at the AHL level, hard to hold him not getting a look in the NHL against him.

Hawkscap

Jan 22, 2007
Hawks have given

Carey
Nordstrom
Danault
Hartman
Baun (Soon)

Baun and Carey didn't earn call ups. Call it a lucky timing contract.
Nordstrom- 4th liner for life
Danualt C
Hartman- still puzzled for this call up

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
I thought it was clear at the time Hartman was called up to bring energy to the lackluster team at the time. He filled that role pretty well his first few games coming in. I'm not sure why they would want to add McNeil to this team and what spot he would fit in if they did.

Should they of called him up earlier and played him next to Bickell & Shaw? That doesn't seem to make sense. Earlier before Kane's injury they sent down TT because he didn't fit the roles open and playing limited to the lowest roster time on the 3rd line didn't fit him. So why would they of swapped him with another none fit for the roster spot? It wouldn't seem to make sense for the team or McNeil. I know people also complained he didn't get called up when Rasmussen did for the west coast trip as an emergency player. It seems smarter to keep your guys who had consistency questions int he past consistently playing and not getting jumped around to not even play a fit spot.

And have they really ever traded an NHL prospect before Q has gotten him in at least a few NHL games? I don't see the rationale leaps by some.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Btw, everybody root for the following Frozen Four to happen:

North Dakota, Yale, Omaha, and either Miami or BC.

If that happens, that maximizes the playing time of six of our prospects.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN

Yes please but we will choke like normal. (cough "2 goals in the last minute" cough)

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012

Or I could cheer for all 4 of those teams to lose so that there is enough season left to lure them to leave school. Never understood rooting for your prospects teams in the tournament, bc's run hurt us badly in trying to sign Hayes.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Or I could cheer for all 4 of those teams to lose so that there is enough season left to lure them to leave school. Never understood rooting for your prospects teams in the tournament, bc's run hurt us badly in trying to sign Hayes.

I feel like Kayes mind was already made up regardless.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
I feel like Kayes mind was already made up regardless.

If Vermont won 1 more game this season, Paliotta is still playing and he could have been gone.

Hope the players have great seasons and their playoff runs are short n

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Hawks have given

Carey
Nordstrom
Danault
Hartman
Baun (Soon)

I don't think anyone really takes your posts seriously because you just look at stats and call ups to determine what you think of players.

How has he been a disappointment for a prospect? He leads the Hogs in points/game, goals, is a pretty good 2 way player, and is the 4th youngest F in Rockford.

But yeah, he's terrible.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
I don't think anyone really takes your posts seriously because you just look at stats and call ups to determine what you think of players.

How has he been a disappointment for a prospect? He leads the Hogs in points/game, goals, is a pretty good 2 way player, and is the 4th youngest F in Rockford.

But yeah, he's terrible.

McNeill is fine but he is a disappointment to this point. He's one of 5 2011 first rounders who hasn't played an NHL game.

When I watch him I don't see a difference maker and the fact that you keep calling him. A 2 way player really makes me question whether you have seen him play.

He can still be a 3rd liner.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois

Not sure how many of the guys in play are planning on jumping to the pros this year, though.

And Hayes didn't want to join the Hawks regardless of what his school did.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
McNeill is fine but he is a disappointment to this point. He's one of 5 2011 first rounders who hasn't played an NHL game.

When I watch him I don't see a difference maker and the fact that you keep calling him. A 2 way player really makes me question whether you have seen him play.

He can still be a 3rd liner.

I have seen McNeill enough to know he can play at both ends of the ice, he has killed penalties in the AHL. He has always been known as a two-way player. Maybe not quite as strong defensively as a Toews or Hossa, but he certainly knows both ends of the ice.

Here is a quote from Dent after last years season.

“Defensively and on the penalty kill in the last five minutes of games, he was one of the forwards we relied on to block shots and lay down,†IceHogs coach Ted Dent said in a recent phone interview. “He had a commitment to winning. That showed signs of maturity, showed me signs of being an all-around player. It’s hard to teach these young players the sacrifice, the two-way game you have to have. He made a lot of strides in that respect.â€

And his all around game has only improved from last year. He is killing penalties in Rockford every once in a while.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
I think it's more accurate to call McNeill a #6-7-8 forward in the NHL with a Bickell motor. He disappears in AHL games consistently. For him to have not played a game in the NHL is a giant red flag. It's the Dahlbeck/Pirri/Clendening treatment.

At a certain point you have to ask, how has the leading scorer for the farm team not played an NHL game throught 2 full AHL seasons? Anyways, the point is that for a 1st round pick he is disappointing but he still has plenty of time to be useful. But you don't draft a player at #18 to be a fringe top 6er.

Anyways, I just think if Hawks need to sweeten the pot in a deal this summer, he's the guy.

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013
Baun and Carey didn't earn call ups. Call it a lucky timing contract.
Nordstrom- 4th liner for life
Danualt C
Hartman- still puzzled for this call up

I thought Hartman may have been a showcasing call up but he just wound up not being part of any deals.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I think it's more accurate to call McNeill a #6-7-8 forward in the NHL with a Bickell motor. He disappears in AHL games consistently. For him to have not played a game in the NHL is a giant red flag. It's the Dahlbeck/Pirri/Clendening treatment.

At a certain point you have to ask, how has the leading scorer for the farm team not played an NHL game throught 2 full AHL seasons? Anyways, the point is that for a 1st round pick he is disappointing but he still has plenty of time to be useful. But you don't draft a player at #18 to be a fringe top 6er.

Anyways, I just think if Hawks need to sweeten the pot in a deal this summer, he's the guy.
That's what we have been saying, he is a guy who can play top 6, or on your 3rd line. And the way we employ our 4th line, he could play there as well.

Teravainen disappeared in AHL games as well, doesn't mean he can't find consistency eventually. I don't think him not getting a call is a red flag, it's only his second full AHL season, and he had a knee injury that held him out for a few weeks derailing some of his progress he made.

He was a mid 1st round pick, lots of players draft at that spot or later don't even become NHLers at all, so you should be happy if he can make it. Nobody calls Danault a disappointment, yet he was a 1st rounder and will be a bottom 6 forward.

I have no problem sweetening the pot with him if it gets us a great return on one of our forwards, but to call him a disappointment at this stage is silly.

Nothingman*

Nothing for Schmalz thought UND are up 3-0 through 2 periods. Sorry.....I am watching the NCAA over the Hawks tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad