Prospect Info: Prospects Part 5: IceHogs/Fuel/College & Juniors/Int'l

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Hawks need to start locking kids up earlier. This UFA loophole is nonsense and they have to avoid it anyway possible if that means signing players earlier. We should at least get a comp pick for what round the player was selected in. This loophole will become more exploited in the future. Justin Schultz kinda started this on an NCAA level.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
Guys play years to gain UFA status and these guys are exploiting loopholes to gain it. :help:

Did you feel this way when the organization exploited a loophole to sign the contracts for Hossa and Keith?

Besides, it's not a loophole, it's a right to exercise per the CBA.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
Did you feel this way when the organization exploited a loophole to sign the contracts for Hossa and Keith?

Besides, it's not a loophole, it's a right to exercise per the CBA.

You mean the NHL will retroactively apply new rules to compensate us further for losing Hayes and potentially Paliotta even though the rules allowed for them to leave based on the rules and the league approved it?!

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
You mean the NHL will retroactively apply new rules to compensate us further for losing Hayes and potentially Paliotta even though the rules allowed for them to leave based on the rules and the league approved it?!

That would be nice.

It absolutely is a joke that you can be penalized for something done before a rule was changed. It's absurd.

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013
Bummed reading the agent comments although someone asked Scott Powers on Twitter whether it was another Kevin Hayes situation and Powers said he didn't think so.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
That would be nice.

It absolutely is a joke that you can be penalized for something done before a rule was changed. It's absurd.

It's also a joke that players you drafted can leave a prospect pool without any compensation because your pool is "too deep". So the Hawks get penalized for doing their jobs well and another team gets rewarded for doing their job badly.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
It's also a joke that players you drafted can leave a prospect pool without any compensation because your pool is "too deep". So the Hawks get penalized for doing their jobs well and another team gets rewarded for doing their job badly.

I just don't see the benefit to him not signing. He cant sign anywhere else until next season losing out on some cash right now. If he signs with the Hawks he can play right away which should be a given seeing who our 5/6 are right now. I know some cap movement would be needed but promise this kid playing time until the damn playoffs. Like you said at best he shows some skill and fills in nicely like TVR did, at worse..well he is Rozy 2.0 for now...need this kid signed asap, and I will puke if we somehow lose another one.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago

I don't necessarily disagree but as it stands, the CBA gives players that right so that's just how it goes, unfortunately.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
I don't necessarily disagree but as it stands, the CBA gives players that right so that's just how it goes, unfortunately.

The player should have the right. But why does a transfer of a players from one teams ownership to another not require a transfer of assets?

60 games played in the NHL your rookie year, 1st round pick from the acquiring team.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I just don't see the benefit to him not signing. He cant sign anywhere else until next season losing out on some cash right now. If he signs with the Hawks he can play right away which should be a given seeing who our 5/6 are right now. I know some cap movement would be needed but promise this kid playing time until the damn playoffs. Like you said at best he shows some skill and fills in nicely like TVR did, at worse..well he is Rozy 2.0 for now...need this kid signed asap, and I will puke if we somehow lose another one.

No cap room I believe and unless Stan is going to waive his boy Rundblad that isn't happening. Do you believe Stan would waive Rundblad to let Paliotta have a few games?

Also if he hits FA he will have teams like Oilers who promise him the Schultz path of stepping right into NHL

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
I think they should Close this in the CBA. Like I said before... if a Team wants to sign him, they have to give up a compensation. Just like Offer Sheets.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
No cap room I believe and unless Stan is going to waive his boy Rundblad that isn't happening. Do you believe Stan would waive Rundblad to let Paliotta have a few games?

Also if he hits FA he will have teams like Oilers who promise him the Schultz path of stepping right into NHL

Even though I am a Rundblad supporter I would not be against waiving him to sign Paliotta so he can play now. I honestly think he would be better than Rosi or Rundblad. In saying that I will admit I see a high ceiling for Paliotta (higher than most) in that I think he can be a #3 to #4 dman.

Central PA Hawk Fan

Apr 16, 2007
York, PA
Paliotta is only a junior right? He would still have to go back to Vermont next season to become a UFA correct? I'm with AD, there is no benefit to Paliotta returning to school for another season when the Hawks are willing to sign him right now.

ploppsdman

Don't stand for the Blackhawks. Stand for Kyle.
Feb 5, 2004
Paliotta is only a junior right? He would still have to go back to Vermont next season to become a UFA correct? I'm with AD, there is no benefit to Paliotta returning to school for another season when the Hawks are willing to sign him right now.

Senior.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Just read a post on twitter, and it had me thinking.

Could you imagine if, Jack Eichel was drafted by a team this year and then decides he wants to go to his senior year at college, and then decides he wants to test College UFA status when his college career is done? And all that team would get for it is a pick at the beginning of the 2nd round.

That's how broke the system is.

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
He would miss out on 20 mil to do that. Better to sign right away and only do bridge deals till your a FA in 6 years.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
Just read a post on twitter, and it had me thinking.

Could you imagine if, Jack Eichel was drafted by a team this year and then decides he wants to go to his senior year at college, and then decides he wants to test College UFA status when his college career is done? And all that team would get for it is a pick at the beginning of the 2nd round.

That's how broke the system is.

That might be his best path if he has the misfortune of getting drafted by Edmonton. It would also be hilarious. Too much money to pass over though. I think the problem is when teams let these guys get to within a year of their degree. It's probably hard to not just finish your degree after all that work. And as a bonus you can exploit the loophole to become a free agent.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
He would miss out on 20 mil to do that. Better to sign right away and only do bridge deals till your a FA in 6 years.

20mil? Most he can sign for is 3.75mil (approx.) per year, and he would only get paid a majority of that if he reaches his bonuses. (Other wise it's like 925k/yr).

He could want to get his degree, and play for a contender when he get's out of College. I know it's unlikely that happens, but there's a possibility. Just pointing out how broke that system is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad