Prospect Info: Prospects, Marlies and Others: 2015-2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Kinda wish he was up with the Leafs learning then. He's a little older and it'd be good to see him rotating with Harrington for playing and NHL development time. It's not like we can promote 10 rookies next year.

I think he'll be here the moment we trade Polak, but really should be here now, he's better than Marincin.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
I think he'll be here the moment we trade Polak, but really should be here now, he's better than Marincin.

During the offseason Dubas mentioned that they did Percy a disservice last year by bringing him up and sending him down too often and they feel it effected his play. So I would assume the moment there's a full time role available, that's when he'll be given his shot. They rolled the dice on Marincin to see if there's any potential there. Despite his lackluster play they'll probably give him a large enough sample size to work himself into a groove. If not, they have options.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
During the offseason Dubas mentioned that they did Percy a disservice last year by bringing him up and sending him down too often and they feel it effected his play. So I would assume the moment there's a full time role available, that's when he'll be given his shot. They rolled the dice on Marincin to see if there's any potential there. Despite his lackluster play they'll probably give him a large enough sample size to work himself into a groove. If not, they have options.

And that is exactly how they should do it. It is good to have depth on 2-way contracts in the AHL that can be called up but it should be older guys with limited potential that jojo between the leagues, since that is their only realistic chance of getting NHL games they will be ok with it.
The ones like Percy who has legit longterm potential to stick in the league should come up once ready and once there is a roster spot for him so that he can stay up.

Tyler Biggs*

I don't know if Mitch Marner should or will be playing with the Leafs next season, but I don't see how he could improve with yet another season in the OHL.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden

And that is exactly how they should do it. It is good to have depth on 2-way contracts in the AHL that can be called up but it should be older guys with limited potential that jojo between the leagues, since that is their only realistic chance of getting NHL games they will be ok with it.
The ones like Percy who has legit longterm potential to stick in the league should come up once ready and once there is a roster spot for him so that he can stay up.

Well said, both of you.

I don't know if Mitch Marner should or will be playing with the Leafs next season, but I don't see how he could improve with yet another season in the OHL.

To a certain degree, what he needs to develop is something he can do no matter where he plays. He needs to get better physically. He needs explosiveness and lower body strength. They have gyms in all the leagues, but I'd actually prefer to see him in Sweden or something where the smaller amount of games gives him more time to bulk up.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
To a certain degree, what he needs to develop is something he can do no matter where he plays. He needs to get better physically. He needs explosiveness and lower body strength. They have gyms in all the leagues, but I'd actually prefer to see him in Sweden or something where the smaller amount of games gives him more time to bulk up.

Perhaps the Leafs will take heed of what has happened to players like RNH and Hall.

It isn't about skill or ability as much as strength, and physical maturity.

There really is zero reason to rush Marner, or try and ignore genetics. If he takes another 2-3 years to become strong enough to play against men so be it. His biological clock is his and his alone.

bobbyt 91*

Well said, both of you.

Yup I really think Marner could benefit playing in Europe next year. Then the year after We should look decent with Nylander, Marner, Rielly, (Chychrun,A.Nylander), Kap, Brown etc all ready.
My dream draft is getting Chychrun@2 then somehow moving up to get A.Nylander but that may be tougher now cuz he has moved up to top 5 in the rankings. I hope if we miss on Chychrun we get A.Nylander but with Hunter it will prob be Tkachuk or Jones or maybe that Jujovli(sp?) London D-man

ToneBone03

Trust the Shanaplan
Dec 11, 2008
Central Newfoundland
We need to sign Nikolas Brouillard (was an invitee to our camp, but got injured) he is too good for this level 17pts in 9 games as Dman

I thought he really stood out at camp - you could see the skill oozing out of him. I believe if he hadn't gotten injured he would have received a contract from us. 17 points in 9 games is absolutely ridiculous! LOL You know, too, that with Timashov playing with the Remparts & the fact we invited him to our camp that we have our eyes on him. I just hope no other teams do as well!!

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Leafs were going to sign Brouillard before he got injured. One would think they will pursue him once again.

LeafsMonster

Marlanderthews
Feb 3, 2012
Toronto
I hate how a rookie can play in the NHL but not in the AHL until he's 20 (?). With marner I think he could benefit from staying in the OHL next year but I really wish we could put in on the marlies instead, even if only in the beginning to see if he can elevate his play to that level. A challenge like that, getting their feet wet, could be very beneficial to some players.

Some aren't ready for the NHL but have nothing new to learn in junior, its a shame they have to be stuck in one or the other

Shwaguy*

Stop this nonsense with Marner. He's in the NHL next year and there's no doubt about that. They won't send him to Sweden or some ****.

He'll be in the NHL in either a limited role like Drouin or he'll bring it and earn a big time role.

No player that produces like him and has his pedigree gets sent back twice. Giroux is the closest and even he didn't produce as well as Marner in a higher scoring league and at the time did not have Marner's defensive game (We can only hope he takes off in the NHL like Giroux did. But letting him rot in the OHL for another year won't help that cause.)

ScJeff

Jun 15, 2010
I haven't really focussed on him but he's playing on the top pairing for the Marlies is he not? and has been for like 3 years now.
I think he's good enough to be on the Leafs right now.

Pretty sure Holl/Brennan are top line. Justin Holl has played well concidering I had no clue who he was before this year (And I dont think hes on a NHL contract either)

Holl/Brennan are top pair and this past weekend it was:
Percy/Loov
Valiev/Campbell. I think both those two pairs were used about the same. Its hard since they dont do TOI in AHl that I can find. I think it was ~24 min Brennan pair ~18 min each for Percy and Campbell pairs last weekend.

Drew75

Sep 5, 2005
Stop this nonsense with Marner. He's in the NHL next year and there's no doubt about that. They won't send him to Sweden or some ****.

He'll be in the NHL in either a limited role like Drouin or he'll bring it and earn a big time role.

No player that produces like him and has his pedigree gets sent back twice. Giroux is the closest and even he didn't produce as well as Marner in a higher scoring league and at the time did not have Marner's defensive game (We can only hope he takes off in the NHL like Giroux did. But letting him rot in the OHL for another year won't help that cause.)

It will be interesting to see what they do. I'm wondering if the success that Arizona is having from sending Domi and Duclair back will raise eyebrows on other teams? I'm not saying they'll do it - but it hasn't seemed to hurt Domi who needed strength the same as Marner.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
It will be interesting to see what they do. I'm wondering if the success that Arizona is having from sending Domi and Duclair back will raise eyebrows on other teams? I'm not saying they'll do it - but it hasn't seemed to hurt Domi who needed strength the same as Marner.

Both are far inferior as prospects. Maybe that has something to do with it.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
I hate how a rookie can play in the NHL but not in the AHL until he's 20 (?). With marner I think he could benefit from staying in the OHL next year but I really wish we could put in on the marlies instead, even if only in the beginning to see if he can elevate his play to that level. A challenge like that, getting their feet wet, could be very beneficial to some players.

Some aren't ready for the NHL but have nothing new to learn in junior, its a shame they have to be stuck in one or the other

I have put a lot of thought into the CHL-NHL agreement, and honestly, I think its for the better. By that I mean, there will be players who are hurt by the system, but ultimately it protects a lot more.

The advantage of the system is it prevents many prospects who are talented, but need development time from being rushed into pro hockey in the American league when they might not be ready, just because they put up big junior numbers. A prevalent example I can think of would be Michael Dal Colle. If Dal Colle was AHL eligible, he probably would have started the year there. But considering his start with Oshawa, my guess is he wouldnt have lasted there long. Probably would spend some time in the press-box before being sent back to Oshawa, so he ends up in the same place, but his confidence is likely even lower.

Another type of player who could be hurt are the smallish types. Lets say a Brayden Point. Brayden Point could be a candidate for the AHL this year, but long-term its probably best he dominates junior. If the AHL was an option, the player (and his agent) would probably push for that, because its another option + they would get paid + all the other stuff you dont consider, like not needing a billet family etc.

Lastly, when you send a prospect back to the CHL, you let them develop but not having the temptation of the NHL as an option. Look at the fact that some of us are clamouring for Nylander to be called up -- thankfully the Leafs are ruling it out, but other organizations would heed that temptation, especially if injuries take hold. Now I know Nylander can probably handle the AHL, but Kasperi Kapanen cant.

The main players who suffer in this system are the tweeners -- the Brayden Schenns, the Jonathan Drouins etc. In the end though, they generally end up where they should be

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph

While it might suck on occasion for a guy like Marner, the rule really does exist in the best interested of hockey in general and especially Canadian hockey. Part of the reason the CHL is so successful and producing NHL talent is because of it competitiveness and the talent level that exists there, which would be undermined by NHL teams pulling their prospects out early and sending them along different paths.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
I think Marner is on the Leafs next season. This kid is unreal, I think his overall game is a lot better than Nylander's was last season. Less to improve on, his raw skill though is amazing and I believe he'll get a look with the Leafs

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
I think Marner is on the Leafs next season. This kid is unreal, I think his overall game is a lot better than Nylander's was last season. Less to improve on, his raw skill though is amazing and I believe he'll get a look with the Leafs

Im not so sure about that - I agree he probably has more raw skill, but I think he has a fair bit more work on than William.

His shot, skating, and of course strength. In those three aspects I think he is behind were Nylander was last year. I will give Marner the edge on stick handling, hockey IQ and passing though

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

Could be really crowded with young kids next year.

Leivo doing great this year. Nylander, maybe Brown. Percy and Loov are right there. Then you have Kapanen who may get in the picture as well. Soshnikov..

Couple that if we win the lottery Chychrun and Matthews would be strong candidates to make the jump out of Jr to the NHL. OH...also Marner.

It could be a young group.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
How has Stuart Percy been looking this year? Is he a guy who can get back on the Leaf roster or is he going the way of Matt Finn and Jesse Blacker?

He had a tough game last game, but he's been pretty consistent so far. You pretty much know what you're gonna get from him every game. Strong first pass, high hockey IQ, safe plays. Last game he couldn't make a first pass to save his life. But there were a few other marlies defence with the same problem that game especially Brennan.

To be honest, as a whole, I don't think the marlies defence are all that good in puck management. Holl, Percy and Corrado make it passable, but Brennan turns the puck over a lot, I've already voice my opinion on Valiev (although he' a great skater and getting better in the puck management department) and Cambell is too inconsistent imo.

They look great offensively though.

The Magic Man

With God given hands
Sep 1, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
I don't t see why they can't have a single player exemption of the CHL-AHL-NHL rule. Allow one player per AHL team under the acception that they've played one post draft year. Something like that. So they don't bleed the CHL of talent but still have a rare spot for rare players. It'll also allow the AHL to have better progression of their prospects when you get the odd Droiun or Marner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA