Prospect Info: Prospects, Marlies and Others: 2015-2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
Because players under 20 that go to the NHL are elite prospects and are less likely to bust?

The CHL wouldn't even be losing everyone in their draft year + 2. They would at most be losing half of their players in their draft year + 2, and a good chunk of those players wouldn't go up to the AHL anyway.

Also, maybe add a rule that says that if a player who starts the year in the CHL can't be called up to the AHL until the season is over. Then they won't have AHL teams taking their key players at inopportune times.

They would be losing a lot of players to the AHL. Let's be real. NHL teams would probably keep all their draft picks in the AHL at 19. There are scrubs in the AHL only there to fill hockey jerseys.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
They would be losing a lot of players to the AHL. Let's be real. NHL teams would probably keep all their draft picks in the AHL at 19. There are scrubs in the AHL only there to fill hockey jerseys.

the proposition was each team could only put 1 player from the CHL into the AHL, and they added that they would have to be a draft+2 player.

That limits it to 30 players.

You could put a further restriction on in that only 1st round picks could receive this exemption to go to the AHL.

Suddenly this limits it to only 30 players who qualify, and a bunch of those aren't even drafted out of the CHL, maybe 10 players end up using it per year, I don't see the harm in that.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
the proposition was each team could only put 1 player from the CHL into the AHL, and they added that they would have to be a draft+2 player.

That limits it to 30 players.

You could put a further restriction on in that only 1st round picks could receive this exemption to go to the AHL.

Suddenly this limits it to only 30 players who qualify, and a bunch of those aren't even drafted out of the CHL, maybe 10 players end up using it per year, I don't see the harm in that.

You don't see the harm from a NHL/AHL standpoint but losing your 7-8 best players per year in a league is a lot.

Like I said, why fix what isn't broken?

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
You don't see the harm from a NHL/AHL standpoint but losing your 7-8 best players per year in a league is a lot.

Like I said, why fix what isn't broken?

Some of these players who would be put in the AHL instead are now being put int he NHL. Marner for example. The Leafs next year may say, we'd like to have him in the AHL, but we can't, and we don't want him back down in the CHL again, so he comes to the NHL.

say 10 players, that's roughly 3 per league unless you're including the entire CHL as the league.

How do you know it's not broken? We don't know how these players would develop if they had a chance to be in the AHL. Imo it is broken, some players can go to the AHL to develop while other can't, that's not fair.

You don't think it's broken from a CHL perspective, but from a player development perspective I think there's a better solution.

Looking at the 2014 draft, these follow players might be in the AHL instead of the CHL now if their NHL team wanted them to be given the proposed rule

Dal Colle or Ho-Sang, Fleury, Perlini, Sanheim, Bleackley, Quenneville

6 guys. The CHL can live with these 6 guys potentially in the AHL.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Hes a member at my golf club and he came in for dinner the other night, his foot was in a cast and he was on crutches. My guess is hes gonna be out for at least a few months.

huh? a few months? You do realize there are injuries that can put people in a cast and on crutches that heal in less than a few months?

He broke his ankle a couple weeks ago, he'd still be in crutches, but I doubt he'll be out for a few months. Here's an article about his injury

http://tipofthetower.com/2015/11/02/connor-brown-fractures-ankle-out-indefinitely/

Generally, ankle fractures take four-to-six weeks to heal, so we could see Brown back in action near the end of December.

So little over a month maybe? Depending on how quickly it heals.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
huh? a few months? You do realize there are injuries that can put people in a cast and on crutches that heal in less than a few months?

He broke his ankle a couple weeks ago, he'd still be in crutches, but I doubt he'll be out for a few months. Here's an article about his injury

http://tipofthetower.com/2015/11/02/connor-brown-fractures-ankle-out-indefinitely/

So little over a month maybe? Depending on how quickly it heals.

The article likens the Brown's fracture to Jaden Schwartz's ankle which is projected to be 12 weeker,

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
The article likens the Brown's fracture to Jaden Schwartz's ankle which is projected to be 12 weeker,

It gives the Schwartz example of how a fracture could mean longer than 4-6 weeks out but I don't think it compares their injuries directly.

It appears they didn't have any info on how bad the fracture was and just said most fractures are 4-6 weeks but there are worse cases like Schwartz's where it could be longer.

But I don't think seeing Brown in a cast and on crutches means he's going to be out that sort of length. I'd imagine a 4-6 week fracture would see a player in a cast and crutches too. But maybe not, I'm not a doctor.

LeafsTop6

Jan 9, 2009
Markham
It gives the Schwartz example of how a fracture could mean longer than 4-6 weeks out but I don't think it compares their injuries directly.

It appears they didn't have any info on how bad the fracture was and just said most fractures are 4-6 weeks but there are worse cases like Schwartz's where it could be longer.

But I don't think seeing Brown in a cast and on crutches means he's going to be out that sort of length. I'd imagine a 4-6 week fracture would see a player in a cast and crutches too. But maybe not, I'm not a doctor.

Healing time depends on a variety of things
mainly - type of injury, diet and smoker non smoker, age, vascularity to region,

communinated fractures tend to take longer

also ankle and feet take longer than hands due to difference in bone healing times.

highslot

Jul 10, 2012
Ah, I always thought fracturing was cracking the bone but not all the way through, whereas a break was a clean break all the way through.

no a fracture is the medical term for any crack in the bone. if it's completely cracked, it's still a fracture. you can have a stress fracture, comminuted fractures, spiral fractures, etc. 'break' is a media term, just like things like hip pointers, buzzers, etc.

it should be 8 weeks of healing with probably another month to get the range back, depending on the rehab. Many protocols may take several months.

bullseye link is perfect. i just noticed it.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
https://m.soundcloud.com/bnwt-podcast/season-1-episode-12-craig-button

Button gets into Neilsen and other prospects too, it's good. Buttons segment starts at about 51:04 in.

Nylander is total package.
Marner is an assassin.
Piccinich skilled but not high skilled.
Johnson is a nhl player.
Bracco gifted but needs work on his pace of play.
Nielsen very underrated due to late start in hockey. Will be complete package. Compared to Hutton.
Timashov needs work on skating and speed to be able to keep and create space.

Button talks a bit about size and how it's not that important, training and development.

Last edited:

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I had previously made a suggestion of this with some restrictions. Allowing the draft +2 year, 1st round pick players to move to the AHL with a "purchase" of their early release.

Cost of purchasing the release? Maybe $500,000, enough that the OHL teams will make up lost revenue, make up for the lost asset, make up for losing their top player & season or playoff success & high enough that NHL clubs will not just do it, because they can.

Why would the AHL want to pay for CHL players when they can just get players from every other league?

We should be clear here, the CHL is a business, and hockey players are people.

It should be up to the player (human) to decide whether he wants to stay in junior or pursue his career elsewhere, unless he has signed a contract compensating him appropriately.

Perhaps we'll see more Matthews going forward as the best prospects pack up and move where they retain more ownership to their own playing rights.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Is kapanen injured or getting benched? I have been stat watching and he doesn't show up on every score sheet.. Any word?

OvenMittz*

Is kapanen injured or getting benched? I have been stat watching and he doesn't show up on every score sheet.. Any word?

Last game he was rested. The Marlies have crazy depth so Keefe is trying to give as much players ice time as possible.

Kapenen has been pretty solid. Hes scored goals. Hes a good finisher.

Just checked his Shot% hes at 33% which is high, he capitalizes on his opportunities.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad