Prospect Info: Prospects, Marlies and Others: 2015-2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Perhaps the Leafs will take heed of what has happened to players like RNH and Hall.

It isn't about skill or ability as much as strength, and physical maturity.

There really is zero reason to rush Marner, or try and ignore genetics. If he takes another 2-3 years to become strong enough to play against men so be it. His biological clock is his and his alone.
Correct! Let's see what our new sports science/fitness team can do.
Nylander did what was asked expected and put on 15lbs and didn't slow down at all. If marner could put on 15lbs this off season I wouldn't have any issue with him on the team.

Pokecheck Prayer

Jan 21, 2015
I don't t see why they can't have a single player exemption of the CHL-AHL-NHL rule. Allow one player per AHL team under the acception that they've played one post draft year. Something like that. So they don't bleed the CHL of talent but still have a rare spot for rare players. It'll also allow the AHL to have better progression of their prospects when you get the odd Droiun or Marner.

because the chl won't agree to it and I don't blame them

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I don't t see why they can't have a single player exemption of the CHL-AHL-NHL rule. Allow one player per AHL team under the acception that they've played one post draft year. Something like that. So they don't bleed the CHL of talent but still have a rare spot for rare players. It'll also allow the AHL to have better progression of their prospects when you get the odd Droiun or Marner.
The draw of most CHL games is to see a handful of drafted players, not really the teams.

If you remove the top drafted players there becomes a lot less reason to see games and hurts the league as a whole.

bigdirty

Mar 11, 2010

One problem would be that you could have one CHL team that loses four or five players to different AHL teams. It would be great if there was some way to let 19 year olds who've outgrown junior into the AHL, but there really seems to be no practical way to do it.

In Marner's case I don't think we've got anything to worry about. Worst case, maybe he's not quite ready for full-time NHL duty next year. So we just bring him along slowly. Give him sheltered minutes, maybe alongside someone like Komarov who is good at getting the other team's attention and keeping it off his linemates. Marner gets to make a slower adjustment to the NHL, and he gets to hit the gym with Leafs trainers full time. It's not a perfect solution, but it gives the Leafs full control over his development.

And this is all assuming that Marner can't step in and make an impact next year, and I really believe he will.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
There are also people (and I'm one of them) who think 18-19 yo should stay in junior to get stronger physically because they're still growing and aren't ready physically for the NHL. Even if you are 6'3 and 200 lbs, it doesn't mean you have the pjysical strength to play higher.

Of course, there are exceptions. If they don't have the impact of a top 6 player in the NHL, they should stay out of the league. I believe brining them too fast is far more damaging than letting them dominate their peers. Confidence is a big part of the game.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
It's a CHL-NHL agreement. The NHL also has a say and they see the point in not bringing 18-19 yo too fast in the NHL.

Hockey is a physical game just like football and you don't see players under 20 in the NFL.

Players that young aren't eligible for the NFL draft. You have to be out of high school for 3 years to be eligible for the NFL draft.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
You don't see players under 20 in NFL because they usually are drafted until they're in their 20s. If 18 year olds were playing in the NFL it would be a disaster for many of them because how physical the game is.

Even if the NHL isn't as physical, it's still a physical game and 18-19 yo are still growing.

There is also the argument you want your future prospects (16-17 yo) to play against the best 18-19 yo. Stories of the past have proved bringing up a player too fast is more damaging than letting an 18 yo dominate in junior hockey.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
You don't see players under 20 in NFL because they usually are drafted until they're in their 20s. If 18 year olds were playing in the NFL it would be a disaster for many of them because how physical the game is.

Players that young aren't eligible for the NFL draft. You have to be out of high school for 3 years to be eligible for the NFL draft.

It's not really my point and I know that. But if the NFL wanted to have them at 18 yo, they would just change the rule.

Just like the NHL, if they wanted all 18-19 available for the AHL, they would make them available.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
It's not really my point and I know that. But if the NFL wanted to have them at 18 yo, they would just change the rule.

Just like the NHL, if they wanted all 18-19 available for the AHL, they would make them available.

You lost me but ok.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Perhaps the Leafs will take heed of what has happened to players like RNH and Hall.

what has happened to them other than being awesome?

it's not their fault their management and coaching is incompetent.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
You lost me but ok.

Why?

If the NFL wants 18-19 yo players, they just have to change the rule on the age eligibility. NCAA doesn't make the rules, the pro league does.

Just like the NHL with the NHL-CHL agreement. If tomorrow the NHL decides 18-19 yo players from the CHL can go in the AHL, they can do it.

There's a reason why both the NFL and the NHL don't change the rule.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Why?

If the NFL wants 18-19 yo players, they just have to change the rule on the age eligibility. NCAA doesn't make the rules, the pro league does.

Just like the NHL with the NHL-CHL agreement. If tomorrow the NHL decides 18-19 yo players from the CHL can go in the AHL, they can do it.

There's a reason why both the NFL and the NHL don't change the rule.

NHL has 18 year old Players, NFL doesn't.

Yes both leagues can change/set whatever rules they like, it's always been the case.

I don't see your point. What the NHL does with preventing younger Players to play in the AHL is to help keep the CHL strong, it has nothing to do with how the NFL runs it's draft.

MrClutch86

Aug 23, 2013
Tampa
Hey guys - this may not be the right place for this, but I may be visiting downtown Toronto in March and I would really like to see an OHL game. What team(s) would be the best to go see driving from downtown toronto (in terms of closeness)?
thanks

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
Stop this nonsense with Marner. He's in the NHL next year and there's no doubt about that. They won't send him to Sweden or some ****.

He'll be in the NHL in either a limited role like Drouin or he'll bring it and earn a big time role.

I think Marner will be with the Leafs next year. He really is at another level in the OHL so far this year & I think he's just warming up.

The AHL would be my preference, but the rules don't allow it. The NHL will have to be the choice & with possible limited roles & icetime, until he's feeling more comfortable & adjusted. By the end of the year he should be fitting in & more so.

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
what has happened to them other than being awesome?

it's not their fault their management and coaching is incompetent.

Exactly. Hall had an 80 point season as a 21 year old. He didn't have his development ruined, it just wasn't enough to overcome terrible support from the rest of the team. RNH putting up 56 points as a 20 year old is also impressive. Neither of those guys are close to being done developing.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Hey guys - this may not be the right place for this, but I may be visiting downtown Toronto in March and I would really like to see an OHL game. What team(s) would be the best to go see driving from downtown toronto (in terms of closeness)?
thanks

The closest team is Mississauga. Not some bad players to check out in Nylander and Day.

There are ways to get around via train or bus.

ScJeff

Jun 15, 2010
Id like to see an exception in the NHL-CHL agreement for Draft+2 years. In those cases I think they should be able to play in the AHL. I get the reasoning and it still gives the CHL a year to market seeing the player. But draft+2 is excessive in a case like marner.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
The problem is - the CHL relies on revenue from the crowds drawn to see NhL prospects. You take those away and league wide revenues drop.

If the CHL collapses financially it's no good for the NHL as it is one of its main developmental leagues - which is another reason why you don't see the NHL pushing to alter the exemption rules for top prospects.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
Id like to see an exception in the NHL-CHL agreement for Draft+2 years. In those cases I think they should be able to play in the AHL. I get the reasoning and it still gives the CHL a year to market seeing the player. But draft+2 is excessive in a case like marner.

The rule isn't really Draft+2 years, it's under 20 by December 31st.

Timashov will be eligible a year after his draft.

Why change what isn't broken?

There are more busts stories about players under 20 going to the AHL than players under 20 going to the NHL.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015

I had previously made a suggestion of this with some restrictions. Allowing the draft +2 year, 1st round pick players to move to the AHL with a "purchase" of their early release. Cost of purchasing the release? Maybe $500,000, enough that the OHL teams will make up lost revenue, make up for the lost asset, make up for losing their top player & season or playoff success & high enough that NHL clubs will not just do it, because they can.

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
The rule isn't really Draft+2 years, it's under 20 by December 31st.

Timashov will be eligible a year after his draft.

Why change what isn't broken?

There are more busts stories about players under 20 going to the AHL than players under 20 going to the NHL.

Because players under 20 that go to the NHL are elite prospects and are less likely to bust?

The CHL wouldn't even be losing everyone in their draft year + 2. They would at most be losing half of their players in their draft year + 2, and a good chunk of those players wouldn't go up to the AHL anyway.

Also, maybe add a rule that says that if a player who starts the year in the CHL can't be called up to the AHL until the season is over. Then they won't have AHL teams taking their key players at inopportune times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00