Prospect Info: Prospects in Sweden 2022-23 Season! (CHL and SHL Schedules, highlights and more)

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
For me, it's more evaluating them at the NHL level playing against NHL talent and coaching. End of season games are to me more indicative of NHL competition than a split roster exhibition game or AHL or whatever league they are in.

Being out of the hunt makes these free NHL games to check on how kids are doing. Show them what the NHL level is like and then send them off in the summer to work on whatever it is these games tell us they need to work on. No one is going to get a "you were perfect don't worry about sweating in the offseason" report card.
The greatest benefit comes from exposure to Detroit's coaching and training staff. I would think a better off-season training regimen could be developed for these players. Also, starting the acclimation process to new surrounding would be helpful.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
The greatest benefit comes from exposure to Detroit's coaching and training staff. I would think a better off-season training regimen could be developed for these players. Also, starting the acclimation process to new surrounding would be helpful.
Why not just be honest and say you guys want it for your own entertainment lol. Which is actually a solid argument. Giving fans something to be excited about down the stretch isn't a bad thing by any means.

But I think it's pretty unsubstantiated that rushing a player over for a handful of games is something that actually helps their development. Seider and Raymond are just two recent examples of guys that got great NHL starts despite a lack of some "9 game look" at the end of the previous season (with Raymond actually citing his long offseason as a major reason he was able to be so NHL ready).

Reactions: tyhee

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Why not just be honest and say you guys want it for your own entertainment lol. Which is actually a solid argument. Giving fans something to be excited about down the stretch isn't a bad thing by any means.

But I think it's pretty unsubstantiated that rushing a player over for a handful of games is something that actually helps their development. Seider and Raymond are just two recent examples of guys that got great NHL starts despite a lack of some "9 game look" at the end of the previous season (with Raymond actually citing his long offseason as a major reason he was able to be so NHL ready).
I'm not talking Kasper or Wally. Ed and AlJo are an Uber ride away. And both are expected to make a strong push in camp. What sense does it make to not take a look at them now?

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I'm not talking Kasper or Wally. Ed and AlJo are an Uber ride away. And both are expected to make a strong push in camp. What sense does it make to not take a look at them now?
You just want to drive the Uber to see your man crush Edvinsson in person. :laugh:

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
First time I’ve seen him mentioned in this capacity before. He’d be lucky to make my top 20 prospects. The guy peaked at 18.
As bottom d, why not, energy guy, who brings a lot of physicality. Haven't seen him playing lately though

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
As bottom d, why not, energy guy, who brings a lot of physicality. Haven't seen him playing lately though
He's disappeared off most radars this year, after getting sent to Toledo, which allowed his critics to say, "Ah ha! See? He sucks!" But he's still a kid who wore an "A" for Canada in the WJC, was the first kid from his draft class to be signed by Detroit, and made the AHL as a just-turned 19yo. He has advanced attributes and just turned 21. He's a low-ceiling prospect who probably never cracks an NHL top-4, but I think he has as good a chance as any of our prospects to carve out a home on the bottom-pair in the future, even with the bevy of LHDs we have in the system.

It's estimated he has another 2 years of waiver exemption, so there's no rush with him, and he's not the type anyone should be worried about getting "ruined" by playing too long in the AHL. I've still got him 10th on my prospect board.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
He's disappeared off most radars this year, after getting sent to Toledo, which allowed his critics to say, "Ah ha! See? He sucks!" But he's still a kid who wore an "A" for Canada in the WJC, was the first kid from his draft class to be signed by Detroit, and made the AHL as a just-turned 19yo. He has advanced attributes and just turned 21. He's a low-ceiling prospect who probably never cracks an NHL top-4, but I think he has as good a chance as any of our prospects to carve out a home on the bottom-pair in the future, even with the bevy of LHDs we have in the system.

It's estimated he has another 2 years of waiver exemption, so there's no rush with him, and he's not the type anyone should be worried about getting "ruined" by playing too long in the AHL. I've still got him 10th on my prospect board.
He can replace Maatta when Maatta is done.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Kasper didn't factor into scoring but he was pretty huge defensively. Can't see Rögle winning another round though, they were outplayed most of this series.

GarlicbreadTB

Apr 16, 2015
Kasper didn't factor into scoring but he was pretty huge defensively. Can't see Rögle winning another round though, they were outplayed most of this series.

From the little I saw. He had a great play to set up a chance, but they didn't score.

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
I think we got a good one.
You can say it, we have a good one.

There is nothing about his overall game that doesn't translate well to the NHL. Sure, there are some attributes that could be better. However, the total package looks special. I am looking forward to the time when he plays with higher skilled players to really show case his ability. He will make any line better.

Reactions: SirloinUB

wingerdinger

Oct 21, 2018
Marco looking a little leggy of late. He's clutching and grabbing a lot more recently.

William is just going from strength to strength. He defended extremely well harassing opponents non stop keeping them to the outside and pushing them backwards.

Wish he was a little more physical, hopefully that will come.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
The arguments against it are probably weak.

1. You really don't learn anything worthwhile watching them in garbage time, when your team isn't playing for anything but pride and the games only matter to some of the opponents.

2. If Edvinsson gets 10 NHL games this season you've given him arbitration and offer sheet rights at the end of the 2024-25 season when otherwise he won't have them.

3. Each game he plays in the NHL reduces the time that the club will be able to send him to the AHL without putting him on waivers. (No, I really don't expect the team to be waiving him after

The great argument in favour of getting him a little time with the big club is that it can be useful, if he or the club don't already know, in deciding what he needs to work on in the offseason and letting him know that.

A secondary argument is that it can give the team a small idea about what level of roster vacancies need to be filled.

FWIW, I think the end of season games for a non-playoff team aren't all that valuable in deciding what level of NHL player you're going to have next season. If playing them helps a player in his offseason training then playing those games can have some value.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad