Prospect Info: Prospects in Sweden 2022-23 Season! (CHL and SHL Schedules, highlights and more)

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Hitting and blocking shots aren’t physical attributes, they are the byproduct of the type of game a player implements based on how they see the game and position themselves.
Kronwall's hits especially. All about timing. He couldn't just run over guys who were smaller than him.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Eh, this entire negative Kronwall campaign is a bit farfetched. Not that I’d expect anything different from the source.

So what you’ve said is that Kronwall’s peak was as the 10th best defenseman in the league. He did so without any truly special physical attribute. Not sure if you understand how these things work but…

Being top 10 at any point in time borders on elite status, if not a lock. Simply making the NHL requires a certain level of intellect and ability that far exceeds what you’re giving it credit for. Most prospects on the long path for development aren’t going to be nearly as refined and developed as a multi-year vet who has hundreds of games played as a top 4, top 2 defenseman in the NHL.

So even if we take your position of Kronwall not being very smart, he’s still plenty wise enough to teach these prospects a couple dozen lessons, big and small, that he learned and applied in real life.

Especially for someone whose best years were when he got older and with average size, and average to below average mobility. Which, in turn, makes everyone question why you would think that Kronwall wasn’t smart in the first place. He literally survived in the NHL despite “physical gifts” that were middle of the pack at best.

Hitting and blocking shots aren’t physical attributes, they are the byproduct of the type of game a player implements based on how they see the game and position themselves.

Being tenth in Norris voting means you got some votes, it doesn't make you the tenth best defender in the league. Toni Lydman and Dick Transtrom have gotten Norris votes in the last generation and ended up in the top 15 and were never considered top 30 guys. Thinking one year 10th in Norris voting=10th best defender in the league is a bad take.

Some Kronwall takes from old article:

It's funny how he impacted on Seider at his Grand Rapids season. Then both went to Sweden, and Seider kept developing and also Johansson and Wallinder started taking strides. Last season 2021-22 was huge, when we picked also Edvinsson at 2021 draft, Johansson wins the SHL Championship at key role and Wallinder plays his best season. Seider is already at NHL.

Fluff articles about new hires aren't going to be a great source for this argument. The Red Wing org isn't going to hire someone and be like "we hired him because he was on the team and needs a post NHL job".

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Being tenth in Norris voting means you got some votes, it doesn't make you the tenth best defender in the league. Toni Lydman and Dick Transtrom have gotten Norris votes in the last generation and ended up in the top 15 and were never considered top 30 guys. Thinking one year 10th in Norris voting=10th best defender in the league is a bad take.

Fluff articles about new hires aren't going to be a great source for this argument. The Red Wing org isn't going to hire someone and be like "we hired him because he was on the team and needs a post NHL job".

You call this a bad take and not address anything else in the post that makes you look like you're either misinformed or a hater.

But please spare everyone from your standard operating procedure where you beat a dead horse while telling everyone else it's still alive.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
You call this a bad take and not address anything else in the post that makes you look like you're either misinformed or a hater.

But please spare everyone from your standard operating procedure where you beat a dead horse while telling everyone else it's still alive.
What's the points did you make? You made up stuff (that his best years were when he was older, when the facts are the opposite, his usage after 32 was 55%+ o zone starts and his stats across the board went sideways) stats show his best years were before he turned 32. His best years were when he was a 2nd pairing guy being able to tear things up with Brad Stuart. You used 10th in Norris=10th best defender (which s a joke if you look at Norris voting where there are a lot of throw in names after the top 5) and you never addressed anything I wrote. I'm sure he has some things to teach, but he's not anywhere near the top of my list of guys I'd pick to teach young defenders, because he was never a cerebral defender.

I say all of this as a fan of Kronwall. He was an amazing player when he was put in a place to succeed. When he was put into a position where he was going to fail he failed. That was on Holland. Kronwall could only play when his number was called to go over the boards. And Holland not preparing for the post-Lidstrom world left Kronwall in a bad position as the best defender on the team, but not the guy you want leading a defense on a playoff team.

Last edited:

sepster

Gerard Gallant is my Spirit Animal
Aug 19, 2005
North of the 'D"
While I have never been of the opinion that Kronwall was ever a true 1D (he was the Wings' 1D in his later years due to lack of options rather than true ability, very much the same way Larkin is currently the Wings' 1C), I have zero doubts about his Hockey IQ, toughness, dedication, or professionalism.

In regard to his ability as a mentor, the fact that he ISN'T a unicorn in the way Lidstrom was could very well make him better at the role. Often times generational talents have a hard time transferring their ability to others because you can't teach "think the game five steps ahead of everyone else the way I do" to others. Kronwall was a fantastic pro because he had to put in the work and develop and adapt his game at every level. What it takes to get to the show and stay there as a consummate professional and what it takes to win at the highest levels (let's not forget he's a member of the Triple Gold Club) IS absolutely teachable to younger players.

I'm thrilled that he has taken such an active role with the Detroit Red Wings organization and their prospects.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
While I have never been of the opinion that Kronwall was ever a true 1D (he was the Wings' 1D in his later years due to lack of options rather than true ability, very much the same way Larkin is currently the Wings' 1C), I have zero doubts about his Hockey IQ, toughness, dedication, or professionalism.

In regard to his ability as a mentor, the fact that he ISN'T a unicorn in the way Lidstrom was could very well make him better at the role. Often times generational talents have a hard time transferring their ability to others because you can't teach "think the game five steps ahead of everyone else the way I do" to others. Kronwall was a fantastic pro because he had to put in the work and develop and adapt his game at every level. What it takes to get to the show and stay there as a consummate professional and what it takes to win at the highest levels (let's not forget he's a member of the Triple Gold Club) IS absolutely teachable to younger players.

I'm thrilled that he has taken such an active role with the Detroit Red Wings organization and their prospects.
Great post. Completely agree.

Reactions: DamonDRW

SCD

Apr 8, 2018

Several defensive prospects have mentioned how Kronwall had improved their game.

Unfortunately, no word from Yzerman and company about Kasper and Wallinder coming over. He has a subtle way to answer.

Shultzyfeelinirie25

Jun 29, 2018

Thanks for such a level headed input that makes a lot of sense

Perfect Human

Dec 17, 2014
This is realgud.

Edvinsson, Kasper and Raymond make the list in their D+1 seasons. AlJo and Willy Wally with their D+2 and D+3. Seider with his D+2, Soderblom with his D+3. Berggren and Veleno with their D+3 seasons.

I forgot Yzerman doesn’t prefer players who play in the SHL.

Lol

Reactions: Henkka

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Last edited:

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Rifalk and Clang would find ways to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. In my opinion, with what they had in front of them, they were the worst goalie tandem in the SHL this year. Also Rogle's top line spent much of the year injured which didn't help.

Didn't want to start a new thread for Christoffer Rifalk since he'll turn 28 in July.

But his contract is up with Rogle this summer and he is handling the bulk of the goaltending this winter.

Is there anything to see in terms of a free agent given the lack of goaltending depth in the NHL?

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
Didn't want to start a new thread for Christoffer Rifalk since he'll turn 28 in July.

But his contract is up with Rogle this summer and he is handling the bulk of the goaltending this winter.

Is there anything to see in terms of a free agent given the lack of goaltending depth in the NHL?
He should have tried to find an NHL team two or three seasons ago, he probably could have. He hasn't been playing great this or last season.

Reactions: Jersey Fan 12

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad