Prospect Info: Prospects in Sweden 2022-23 Season! (CHL and SHL Schedules, highlights and more)

Christien

May 1, 2010
Can't see Wallinder and Kasper coming over, especially with how pointless the games are for the Griffins right now with them being so far out of the playoffs.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Can't see Wallinder and Kasper coming over, especially with how pointless the games are for the Griffins right now with them being so far out of the playoffs.
Wallinder MAYBE, with Edvinsson called up and injuries to Johansson and McIsaac maybe they'd have room to plug him into the Griffins lineup.
Kasper I seriously hope they let him have some rest.

Reactions: wingerdinger

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Wonder if they bring Kasper and Wallinder over for some games in GR or if they let them rest
I'd give Wallinder one more year in SHL under Kronwall supervision, he still needs to work on his defensive game

Wallinder MAYBE, with Edvinsson called up and injuries to Johansson and McIsaac maybe they'd have room to plug him into the Griffins lineup.
Kasper I seriously hope they let him have some rest.
It will take time to bring Kasper over, planty time to rest, most important give him taste of NA games

Reactions: SirloinUB

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Carolina just called both Tuukka Tieksola and Ville Koivunen from Kärpät to play at AHL (Chicago Wolves).
I wanted Wings to draft Koivunen ,was upset he wasn't, wonder why his number not so good

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
I'd give Wallinder one more year in SHL under Kronwall supervision, he still needs to work on his defensive game

It will take time to bring Kasper over, planty time to rest, most important give him taste of NA games
That would make sense for Wallinder. GR has a lot of young guys on the blueline too so it would be nice to lessen the logjam a bit. Rogle is arguably a better place to develop him anyway unless GR gets a coaching change. Kasper coming over next year is good because he'll probably be competing for an NHL spot. Also if the worst case happens and Simon is still coach Kaspers game fits what Simon likes anyway so I don't think he'll be getting screwed.

Reactions: lilidk

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
That would make sense for Wallinder. GR has a lot of young guys on the blueline too so it would be nice to lessen the logjam a bit. Rogle is arguably a better place to develop him anyway unless GR gets a coaching change. Kasper coming over next year is good because he'll probably be competing for an NHL spot. Also if the worst case happens and Simon is still coach Kaspers game fits what Simon likes anyway so I don't think he'll be getting screwed.
Yes , his contact is over, it's your move Yzerman

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Rogle didn’t have the horses this year. Their 3rd line with Kasper and Staal-Lyrenas seemed better than the other 3 lines on most nights. Wallinder was clearly the best D on the team and there wasn’t much help from the vets up and down the lineup.

I think Rogle can rebound next year but they definitely need to get a better starting G and some better defensive depth. I’m not sure what the rules are for SHL loans, but I’d be totally fine loaning Rogle a couple of our kids from GR like Viro and Sebrango. They would get 18+ Minutes a night over there.

Reactions: lilidk

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Wallinder has nothing left to do in the SHL. I think it's more likely he makes a run at being on Detroit's roster than it is that he stays another year in sweden.
Bring him to early and he becomes Cholowsky 2.0. WilliWolli needs some more time

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden

Kasper hopes to stay in Sweden until summer so he can graduate from the Gymnasium, and of course there's a Worlds he'll play in, too.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Kronwall wasn't a very smart defenseman. His best assets were his physical gifts. Its why he never was a great #1 d-man, but was killing it when paired with Stuart on the second pairing.

Wrong.

Kronwall was a really good all around defender. As smart as Lidstrom? Not really, but he was good enough to be top pair on most teams in his prime. The problem was injuries diminishing his abilities and his top pair partner after 2012 a lot of the time was Ericsson.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Kronwall wasn't a very smart defenseman. His best assets were his physical gifts. Its why he never was a great #1 d-man, but was killing it when paired with Stuart on the second pairing.
Yeah I’m sure someone who played 1000 games in the NHL and was a good player and won a Cup and played with all time greats has no wisdom to pass down to these kids.

Sure.

Last edited:

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Yeah I’m sure someone who played 1000 games in the NHL and was a good player and won a Cup and played with all time greats has no wisdom to pass down to these kids.

Sure.
Wrong.

Kronwall was a really good all around defender. As smart as Lidstrom? Not really, but he was good enough to be top pair on most teams in his prime. The problem was injuries diminishing his abilities and his top pair partner after 2012 a lot of the time was Ericsson.

6'0, dealt with a lot of injuries, not an elite skater.. what physical gifts are you talking about exactly?

Y'all have some rosed colored glasses on. And I get it, Between 07-12 he was the best 2nd pairing D-man in the league by most measures. His stats, his advanced stats and his on ice play were never anything to write home about, though. He wasn't a great point producer, his positional play was pedestrian, he never had a season where he had more takeaways than he had giveaways (Most of you all don't remember he was a bit of a giveaway machine) and he was never on anyone's list for a Norris (he had 1 first place vote in his career and peaked at 10th in Norris voting with 1.85% of votes). His best abilities were his physical abilities, namely his physicality and his ability to block shots. His best seasons he averaged 40 points 100 hits and 120 blocked shots. Those days were mostly over by the time Lidstrom retired and for most of those years, despite playing top pairing minutes, still saw a lot of sheltered usage being started 55-65% of the time in the offensive zone. He was never a good top pairing guy and most people who were on here or LGW when was a top pairing guy all saw it and wanted nothing more than for Holland to pull a #1 defender out of his hat.

I'm sure he has some things to teach, but his best assets weren't one that are easy to teach or applicable (Kronwall's style of physicality wouldn't do well in the current NHL).

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Some Kronwall takes from old article:

I think a big benefit for him is going to be the fact that Niklas Kronwall is back in Sweden, living there, and to have really one of the better Red Wing defensemen of all time in your corner. We’re going to really promote that relationship and we’ll be in touch — have already started that process of being in touch with everybody involved in the MODO organization.

I think our philosophy in general, for all of these guys, is the message has to be the same, coming from us as it is from the (club) team. I think that’s one thing we’ve really kind of focused on over the years, is making sure that we’re always on the same page as the team and there’s no mixed messages being relayed to these players, because then it becomes very difficult to really accomplish what you want done. So a lot of the work is actually done not with the player but with the team itself to make sure we’re all on the same page.

You mentioned Nik, his first year with the player development department last year. What did you notice as the early advantages of that? What have been the impacts of Nik joining?

First off, we needed a defenseman. … Danny (Cleary, the Red Wings’ assistant director of player development) was a winger, I played center, we talked a little bit about trying to add a defenseman to the group, especially someone that played. And then when Nik came by, that’s hitting a home run, to be able to get one of the better Red Wing defensemen of all time. Obviously someone that played his position at an elite level for many years, but also just the road he took to get there.

We didn’t have anyone on the development staff that had played in Europe; obviously Nik grew up there and played there. He took his time coming over, he played in Grand Rapids. His development curve was a little bit longer, so that really also helped really round out our experience as a development staff.

We feel like there’s over 3,000 games or close to it between the three of us, and really there’s not a situation that we haven’t been in before, whether it’s a scoring winger to a grinding centerman to a defenseman (that) played all special teams out there, in the important times of the games, out there in the last minute, and obviously leadership as well. We’ve all held leadership positions on our team before. So I think we feel like we’re in a great position in terms of what we can offer these kids as a staff.

I think he was in Grand Rapids fairly often last year, right?

It was his first year, he was trying to figure out what he kind of wanted to do … but he really just took a liking to development right away. … He did spend a ton of time in Grand Rapids, which was huge for us.

We had obviously Moritz Seider, Gustav Lindstrom, Dennis Cholowski, and really all of our defensemen down there were huge (beneficiaries) to having Nik Kronwall around. So a big benefit for us. And obviously now with him moving back to Europe full time, it’s been fantastic just given the COVID situation. We can’t get in there, Danny and I can’t get into Europe, we can’t see these guys play live, we can’t meet them for dinner, we can’t meet their parents, their agents, whoever’s involved in their lives. But having Nik there, he’s able to do that.

It's funny how he impacted on Seider at his Grand Rapids season. Then both went to Sweden, and Seider kept developing and also Johansson and Wallinder started taking strides. Last season 2021-22 was huge, when we picked also Edvinsson at 2021 draft, Johansson wins the SHL Championship at key role and Wallinder plays his best season. Seider is already at NHL.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Y'all have some rosed colored glasses on. And I get it, Between 07-12 he was the best 2nd pairing D-man in the league by most measures. His stats, his advanced stats and his on ice play were never anything to write home about, though. He wasn't a great point producer, his positional play was pedestrian, he never had a season where he had more takeaways than he had giveaways (Most of you all don't remember he was a bit of a giveaway machine) and he was never on anyone's list for a Norris (he had 1 first place vote in his career and peaked at 10th in Norris voting with 1.85% of votes). His best abilities were his physical abilities, namely his physicality and his ability to block shots. His best seasons he averaged 40 points 100 hits and 120 blocked shots. Those days were mostly over by the time Lidstrom retired and for most of those years, despite playing top pairing minutes, still saw a lot of sheltered usage being started 55-65% of the time in the offensive zone. He was never a good top pairing guy and most people who were on here or LGW when was a top pairing guy all saw it and wanted nothing more than for Holland to pull a #1 defender out of his hat.

I'm sure he has some things to teach, but his best assets weren't one that are easy to teach or applicable (Kronwall's style of physicality wouldn't do well in the current NHL).

Eh, this entire negative Kronwall campaign is a bit farfetched. Not that I’d expect anything different from the source.

So what you’ve said is that Kronwall’s peak was as the 10th best defenseman in the league. He did so without any truly special physical attribute. Not sure if you understand how these things work but…

Being top 10 at any point in time borders on elite status, if not a lock. Simply making the NHL requires a certain level of intellect and ability that far exceeds what you’re giving it credit for. Most prospects on the long path for development aren’t going to be nearly as refined and developed as a multi-year vet who has hundreds of games played as a top 4, top 2 defenseman in the NHL.

So even if we take your position of Kronwall not being very smart, he’s still plenty wise enough to teach these prospects a couple dozen lessons, big and small, that he learned and applied in real life.

Especially for someone whose best years were when he got older and with average size, and average to below average mobility. Which, in turn, makes everyone question why you would think that Kronwall wasn’t smart in the first place. He literally survived in the NHL despite “physical gifts” that were middle of the pack at best.

Hitting and blocking shots aren’t physical attributes, they are the byproduct of the type of game a player implements based on how they see the game and position themselves.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad