GWT: PL Matchweek (mostly) 18 - on borrowed time?

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I think the "you haven't played the game" so you don't understand argument is always stupid. It also happens most frequently with pundits or journalists who get grief for not understanding the game (the NFL is notorious for this).

That said, the question still exists of was this ref particularly poor. Did he also say what Klopp said he said (that Jota was stopping to get contact)? If that was the case then I do think there's something to the not understanding the top level of the game.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I think the "you haven't played the game" so you don't understand argument is always stupid. It also happens most frequently with pundits or journalists who get grief for not understanding the game (the NFL is notorious for this).

That said, the question still exists of was this ref particularly poor. Did he also say what Klopp said he said (that Jota was stopping to get contact)? If that was the case then I do think there's something to the not understanding the top level of the game.
He told Klopp that Diogo stopped because he was looking for contact. So yeah there’s a fundamental lack of understanding there. Also Tierney statistically hates LFC.

Stats vs all teams attached below

Not absolutely but “fun” to look at

Attachments

• 3310F8B3-F5F3-4C68-8094-1DBF99C9B090.jpeg
    3310F8B3-F5F3-4C68-8094-1DBF99C9B090.jpeg
    122.1 KB · Views: 0

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
lol Klopp

This isn’t just a Klopp thing.

Cameroon doesn’t exactly seem like the most safe place on planet earth to be right now either. There is literally a civil war going on there right now, and that’s aside of any Covid related issues.

I don’t think anyone thought AFCON was actually going to be cancelled and I wouldn’t (and doubt Klopp would) want anyone to celebrate it happening either. But that doesn’t change the question of whether it actually should be happening or not.

Last edited:
Reactions: JPBolts

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
England is?
England doesn’t literally have a civil war going on right now, and as I stated the games in England shouldn’t be happening either. Should be all cancelled or none cancelled instead of picking and choosing

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Tierney’s answer about the penalty situation doesn’t tell you anything about his “understanding”. It is how he sees the situation. Not exactly uncommon for players to do what he thinks Jota is doing.

Tierney did a lot better than VAR in my opinion. I get why Tierney got all of those situations wrong. I’m not sure why VAR did.

The big one is Kane’s red. Jota probably should have had a penalty, but so should Winks. Liverpool’s second is a clear foul in my opinion on Lloris. And even if I hate players getting handballs against too often I don’t see how it is not a handball as well. So Liverpool got some as well, but Klopp and Liverpoolfans got good reason to be upset for Kane staying on the pitch. With Kane gone it is almost a given 3 points. That was more on VAR than Tierney for me.

Reactions: Mount Suribachi

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Tierney’s answer about the penalty situation doesn’t tell you anything about his “understanding”. It is how he sees the situation. Not exactly uncommon for players to do what he thinks Jota is doing.

Tierney did a lot better than VAR in my opinion. I get why Tierney got all of those situations wrong. I’m not sure why VAR did.

The big one is Kane’s red. Jota probably should have had a penalty, but so should Winks. Liverpool’s second is a clear foul in my opinion on Lloris. And even if I hate players getting handballs against too often I don’t see how it is not a handball as well. So Liverpool got some as well, but Klopp and Liverpoolfans got good reason to be upset for Kane staying on the pitch. With Kane gone it is almost a given 3 points. That was more on VAR than Tierney for me.
Yeah. Tarring and feathering Tierney misses the point. You have another "referee" in front of a tv monitor slowing everything down and getting twenty replays and STILL f***ing it up.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I also imagine some of the facilities, testing and support staffing are not going to be up to the standard of what top level European clubs will provide. But that’s just being honest.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
England doesn’t literally have a civil war going on right now, and as I stated the games in England shouldn’t be happening either. Should be all cancelled or none cancelled instead of picking and choosing
I don't think calling Cameroon a civil war theatre is fair at all.
There are more deaths in UK than Cameroon per 1000 inhabitants.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
:laugh:

I also imagine some of the facilities, testing and support staffing are not going to be up to the standard of what top level European clubs will provide. But that’s just being honest.
I'm surprised they're moving forward with the tournament, but I guess understand trying to push through and not punt the tournament again.

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
Mane and Salah could be unavailable for a month as their respective teams are amongst the favourites (Egypr to a lesser degree than Senegal)
Guinea (Keita) shouldn’t go too far (but you never know)
It’s gonna be interesting to see how Klopp shuffles his frontline

Chelsea may have to do without Mendy for a while as well (Senegal)

City will be fine without Mahrez in the EPL and CL football is back in February

Milan will have be without Kessie and Bennacer in the midfield, Tonali and Bakayoko will have to log a lot of minutes
Ivory Coast is another team that can go far in the tournament

Arsenal won’t probably miss Aubameyang lol

Also f… those top and bottom ad banners on the mobile website

Last edited:

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Poor english teams hit hard by french players choosing to play for the country of their parents/grand parents :D

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
The statistics about deaths to Covid is also massively skewed by a number of factors.

Cameroon has a very young population. Shit, 41% or so are under 14. The UK median age is 39. Cameroon is like 18.7. With a disease that aggressively hits the elderly, especially with accounting for deaths, it only makes mathematical sense. That's even before you get into the weeds about reporting, especially considering statistical data on actual cases.

I don't think it's unfair to wonder about players going off to Cameroon in the middle of a pandemic.

I think the players should get the chance to play for their country. I also feel this tournament has been put off way too long at this stage. I don't have a problem with Salah, Mane, or whomever going. But, I want them getting through it safely no matter what. At the end of the day, we all know why the tournament is going forward, and it isn't the concern or not about the players.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Cameroon has a civil war? I listen and watch a lot of world news and the place that is the worst in Africa is Ethiopia. I absolutely hate reading about this in a continent that has suffered from so much. :(

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
The statistics about deaths to Covid is also massively skewed by a number of factors.

Cameroon has a very young population. Shit, 41% or so are under 14. The UK median age is 39. Cameroon is like 18.7. With a disease that aggressively hits the elderly, especially with accounting for deaths, it only makes mathematical sense. That's even before you get into the weeds about reporting, especially considering statistical data on actual cases.

I don't think it's unfair to wonder about players going off to Cameroon in the middle of a pandemic.

I think the players should get the chance to play for their country. I also feel this tournament has been put off way too long at this stage. I don't have a problem with Salah, Mane, or whomever going. But, I want them getting through it safely no matter what. At the end of the day, we all know why the tournament is going forward, and it isn't the concern or not about the players.
I was talking pre-covid too.
And sure, the covid stats are probably skewed, but you don't get a factor or 1x1000. Wheather is a factor too.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Cameroon has a civil war? I listen and watch a lot of world news and the place that is the worst in Africa is Ethiopia. I absolutely hate reading about this in a continent that has suffered from so much. :(

That sent me to Google too, I also wasn't aware. Considering the circumstances we're talking about, kind of funny the whole thing has the title "the Anglophone Crisis".

As for Ethiopia, the situation there is precarious, but from what I've read, in most of the country you wouldn't know there was a war going on either

Reactions: S E P H

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2