GWT: PL Matchweek (mostly) 18 - on borrowed time?

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
You mean the rule that was changed this year that made it so this goal stands?
Here's the thing, I'm sure you've seen plenty of matches this year where a player uses the (incidental) contact on the hand to help control the ball be called back all over the pitch. Happens all the time. So in this situation, they decide that because his touch forced Lloris to intervene and it leads to a goal, but without a second touch, it's okay? I absolutely hate that. It affected every aspect of that play and gave Robertson an empty net. There are situations where an incidental handball has zero impact on how the goal is scored and I think those should stand. Those were the ones getting called back last season. In cases like this, there's no way that goal should stand.

Elvis P

Pretzel Logic
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
When the white England Captain is perceived as the best English player (whether he actually is or not), he's not getting a red card in the PL.

Last edited:

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
So I saw:

Kane challenge - Clear red. He should get suspended for 5 games for his post game comments that he won the ball because that’s offensive to anyone with eyes.

Robertson challenge - Clear red

Salah handball - clear handball. Arm is away from the body and helps control the ball, but also it’s not something VAR is allowed to check for now.

Jota pen claim - stonewall pen. He’s slowing down to sort his feet out for a shot because that’s what you do in the box.

Reactions: Savant and Elvis P

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
So I saw:

Kane challenge - Clear red. He should get suspended for 5 games for his post game comments that he won the ball because that’s offensive to anyone with eyes.

Robertson challenge - Clear red

Salah handball - clear handball. Arm is away from the body and helps control the ball, but also it’s not something VAR is allowed to check for now.

Jota pen claim - stonewall pen. He’s slowing down to sort his feet out for a shot because that’s what you do in the box.
Yeah we agree on all this. Also thought there were several times Emerson could have deservedly gotten second yellow card but from you, I will happily take this assessment

Fun fact. Harry Kane has not gotten a red card in over a decade. His last red card was when he was in League One playing for Leyton Orient.

Reactions: Elvis P

Bizzare

May 5, 2013
Here's the thing, I'm sure you've seen plenty of matches this year where a player uses the (incidental) contact on the hand to help control the ball be called back all over the pitch. Happens all the time. So in this situation, they decide that because his touch forced Lloris to intervene and it leads to a goal, but without a second touch, it's okay? I absolutely hate that. It affected every aspect of that play and gave Robertson an empty net. There are situations where an incidental handball has zero impact on how the goal is scored and I think those should stand. Those were the ones getting called back last season. In cases like this, there's no way that goal should stand.

Change the rule again … because by the letter of the law it’s a good goal.

Reactions: luiginb and Elvis P

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Change the rule again … because by the letter of the law it’s a good goal.
If that exact play happens at midfield, the play is immediately called dead. Nobody's waiting to see if it ends up in the net. That is simply not the kind of play the rule change was intended to effect and if that's the way it's going to be applied in the box (it hasn't been all season) they need to amend the language.

Even in the wording you posted, the language says "immediately precedes another player scoring"...today's incident plays fast and loose with the word "immediately".

Reactions: Elvis P

Bizzare

May 5, 2013
If that exact play happens at midfield, the play is immediately called dead. Nobody's waiting to see if it ends up in the net. That is simply not the kind of play the rule change was intended to effect and if that's the way it's going to be applied in the box (it hasn't been all season) they need to amend the language.

Even in the wording you posted, the language says "immediately precedes another player scoring"...today's incident plays fast and loose with the word "immediately".

This is exactly the type of play the rule is supposed to impact, if this isn't what do you think is? This was one of the few decisions VAR got right today.

Reactions: luiginb and Elvis P

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Just watched the game on replay.

I agree that the reffing was poor but that's been talked to death already. I want to focus on Spurs performance.

Conte won the tactical battle if you ask me. Klopp set up too naviely. They really struggled against the long balls. Eric Dier was instrumental here. My MOTM.

Then there was Harry Winks, who made both goals happen.

Also Sessegnon who did very well against Salah.

Alli also looked much improved.

Conte is just incredible at bringing the best out of players.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England

One of my least favourite things is when players and managers and pundits complain about a ref "never played the game." Its such a cheap comment.

Yet none of them ever choose to do it, they always expect it to be another player doing it not them.

We have had a few ex pros reffing in the English lower leagues who were all terrible, let the players get away with murder and kept their cards firmly pocketed at all times.

Neil Warnock is the only one I know who is a qualified ref, yet he is best know for being the most biased, its-always-the-refs-fault manager out there.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
One of my least favourite things is when players and managers and pundits complain about a ref "never played the game." Its such a cheap comment.

Yet none of them ever choose to do it, they always expect it to be another player doing it not them.

We have had a few ex pros reffing in the English lower leagues who were all terrible, let the players get away with murder and kept their cards firmly pocketed at all times.

Neil Warnock is the only one I know who is a qualified ref, yet he is best know for being the most biased, its-always-the-refs-fault manager out there.
More importantly, a coach has never reffed at pro level and thus he should never talk about reffing since he doesn't know what he's talking about.
Same logic, different results.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013

This is fair to an extent, but would you not say it’s basic knowledge that you have to slow yourself down in order to get a better shot? Maybe you don’t have to be a professional but that’s basic knowledge/common sense there.

Klopp might also just be doing to old Ferguson thing where he gaslights the ref enough so LFC don’t get Tierney for a while.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
More importantly, a coach has never reffed at pro level and thus he should never talk about reffing since he doesn't know what he's talking about.
Same logic, different results.
This is fair to an extent as well, but either way it’s still an indefensibly bad game from the official.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
This is exactly the type of play the rule is supposed to impact, if this isn't what do you think is? This was one of the few decisions VAR got right today.

Do you acknowledge that the Salah play is immediately blown dead anywhere else on the pitch?

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Which is entirely different than the "you can't ref because you didn't play high level games".
It is, but it is also a part of the criticism. You are a bad ref because of this and that, etc.

As I said, Klopp is probably just trying to gaslight him at this point

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad