GWT: PL Matchweek (mostly) 18 - on borrowed time?

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
The FA has always fought tooth and nail for their referees. It doesn't matter how bad game the referee has, managers are usually reprimanded after doing what Klopp did. Surprised that they decide not to in this case.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Referees performance has never mattered, only the managers actions. Why should it matter now?

Managers have been reprimanded for much, much less.
It should matter now because it has to start somewhere.

Ref stole two points from Liverpool on Sunday. It’s about time someone puts the spotlight on them.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
That is the first time I can recall a manager not getting in trouble for those kinds of comments. The only reasonable conclusion is that they think he told the truth.

Reactions: JPBolts

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
The FA thinks Tierney did what he did because he doesn’t like Klopp?

Assuming those quotes were correct that is absurd. Obviously he wouldn’t be allowed to ref in the PL if they seriously think they got a ref that will try to influence how games are being played.

Not sure how you can’t see how absurd that is. Even if your lifelong dream is to have a moustache like Rush.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
The FA thinks Tierney did what he did because he doesn’t like Klopp?

Assuming those quotes were correct that is absurd. Obviously he wouldn’t be allowed to ref in the PL if they seriously think they got a ref that will try to influence how games are being played.

Not sure how you can’t see how absurd that is. Even if your lifelong dream is to have a moustache like Rush.
I think the FA must agree that there is some truth in Tierney being a lousy ref that ruined the game because he doesn’t know what he is doing.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
That is the first time I can recall a manager not getting in trouble for those kinds of comments. The only reasonable conclusion is that they think he told the truth.

Ex- top ref Clattenburg also publicly agreed with Klopp, although he said that biggest mistake was from the VAR ref. So admitting, that for on pitch ref it's easier to miss the severity of the tackle since they get one look for a second, but the VAR ref has all the angles and all the replays available.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Or it's the simplest answer - that the PL would just rather cave to one of its biggest teams than deal with the controversy and complaining for another week.
This is hilarious. Thanks for the chuckle.

I don’t know what is more funny
  • You insinuating that Tottenham is a small team
  • Thinking that PL and friends don’t protect the refs the overwhelming majority of the time
  • Suggesting that Tierney is undeserving of criticism for that performance because they are “caving” to Liverpool.
What a joke

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Ex- top ref Clattenburg also publicly agreed with Klopp, although he said that biggest mistake was from the VAR ref. So admitting, that for on pitch ref it's easier to miss the severity of the tackle since they get one look for a second, but the VAR ref has all the angles and all the replays available.
Not just him. The referee and VAR dropped the ball (no pun intended) in that game.
Many former referee and players have declared that VAR/Tierney failed to do their job properly or at the very least shown consistency.

That being said @Jersey Shore has a point when he mentions LFC and a big club.
I do believe that the fact that this game was the biggest ticket item of the weekend with so few other games. All the spotlight were on that game and that did not help the FA deflecting the blame.

That being said, I am honestly surprised that Klopp did not get a fine to be honest.

I must admit that I find it funny how other fans are always on Klopp cases when he defends his players. He is a player coach and he will never blame their performance or individual at least in front of the media. That seems to get on the nerve of other team fans as he never take the blame for a loss.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
I think the FA must agree that there is some truth in Tierney being a lousy ref that ruined the game because he doesn’t know what he is doing.

VAR did.

Doesn’t really matter if he was right or not. If he had said he thought Tierney made some mistakes. Fine. If anything I think managers should be more free to make such comments. To say a ref doesn’t like him is not the same.

I guess the FA didn’t see that Klopp implied anything with that comment. Which is more or less as poor of a decision that VAR took not giving Kane a red.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
This is hilarious. Thanks for the chuckle.

I don’t know what is more funny
  • You insinuating that Tottenham is a small team
  • Thinking that PL and friends don’t protect the refs the overwhelming majority of the time
  • Suggesting that Tierney is undeserving of criticism for that performance because they are “caving” to Liverpool.
What a joke
I didn't even give off a hint of bullet points one and three, so that's purely your projection.

That you typed out bullet point two, and still think that not disciplining Klopp means that obviously, it's because they think he's right (or rather because the referees were wrong), is astounding. As if the line for disciplining a manager is whether or not he's right about the underlying call they don't like - talk about a joke. That's a precedent I'm sure the PL and the PGMOL would *love* to set!

Last edited:

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Not just him. The referee and VAR dropped the ball (no pun intended) in that game.
Many former referee and players have declared that VAR/Tierney failed to do their job properly or at the very least shown consistency.

That being said @Jersey Shore has a point when he mentions LFC and a big club.
I do believe that the fact that this game was the biggest ticket item of the weekend with so few other games. All the spotlight were on that game and that did not help the FA deflecting the blame.

That being said, I am honestly surprised that Klopp did not get a fine to be honest.

I must admit that I find it funny how other fans are always on Klopp cases when he defends his players. He is a player coach and he will never blame their performance or individual at least in front of the media. That seems to get on the nerve of other team fans as he never take the blame for a loss.
The bottom line is it's the wrong decision not to fine him here. You can't confront referees in the tunnel and complain about specific officials having a vendetta against you. Sends completely the wrong message.

Parsing which terrible logic they used is a fool's errand, but I can almost certainly say how correct the referee's calls were or weren't have no bearing on evaluating Klopp's reaction to it after the match.

Reactions: Havre

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I didn't even give off a hint of bullet points one and three, so that's purely your projection.

That you typed out bullet point two, and still think that not disciplining Klopp means that obviously, it's because they think he's right (or rather because the referees were wrong), is astounding. As if the line for disciplining a manager is whether or not he's right about the underlying call they don't like - talk about a joke. That's a precedent I'm sure the PL and the PGMOL would *love* to set!
I mean, if you are saying that they are caving because Liverpool is a big team, than inversely Tottenham can’t be a big team too, right? Therefore, if they are not a big team they would be a small team. You can’t cave on two equivalent level teams, right? If anything they have egg on their face because they got called out for giving Kane (and his team) preferential treatment. Because you can’t red card the England captain I guess.

Yes I do think if they thought the ref had more of a leg to stand on Klopp would have seen some sort of a fine. As many have said, the overwhelming majority of the time the ref gets backed. That clearly didn’t happen here. Also they admitted fault on the Coufal red card today, so maybe out of all this there is actually some accountability for once. It’s a step in the right direction.

None of this is anything close to what Ferguson made a living off of, but I guess no social media back then

JPBolts

Jun 21, 2019
there can be two things that are right:

Kane should've been sent off (in my opinion, more fault of VAR than Tierney) & not a good game for Tierney
Klopp is getting preferential treatment compared to the other PL managers (sans Pep) whom all would've been fined / suspended for those comments, while Klopp isn't.

Reactions: Havre

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad