Player Discussion Joseph freaking Woll

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Cant realy fault him realy on any of the goals. Realy bad D overall. First a deflectin in own net. Second a great pass but with the whole team in his knee and noone took out the reciever. Woll focused on the dude getting free and hoped his teammates would focus on the other dude . He learned a lesson there , he can not count on getting any help. Next goal was screened by his own D.
He could have made 1 save out of those maby. They would still loose when they play like that.

horner

May 22, 2007
Woll will be the highlight of the entire season. Imagine if we didnt have him? Yuk!
Woll Knies Cowan Minten Grebyonkin knowing that we have these layer on the big club and in the system. Knowing that they all will be on the big club in a year or 2 gets me excited

Watching Willy grow into a man he is going to the hard areas ever time. Marner and Matthews learn from Nylander

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
@Anthrax442 - can you add the (player discussion) prefix ? (You need to edit the title)

Woll is the better goalie, Keefe slow to figure things out.

Last edited:
Reactions: Anthrax442

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
It does matter.

He should have been in net for game 2 my opinion.

If I were coaching, game 1.

I have, zero faith in Samsonov though so I am very, very biased here..

Sammy won Game 2 for the Leafs and for all the inconsistent goaltending he’s provided since then the offense still could have supplied a 4-3 win on Saturday, and something like a 5-4, 5-3 win on Wednesday.

Goalie has to bail out the team, but the team needs to also give the goalie some run support. I dunno if Woll is going to give us a 1-0, 2-1 win here or it’s fair to expect that.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Sammy won Game 2 for the Leafs and for all the inconsistent goaltending he’s provided since then the offense still could have supplied a 4-3 win on Saturday, and something like a 5-4, 5-3 win on Wednesday.

Goalie has to bail out the team, but the team needs to also give the goalie some run support. I dunno if Woll is going to give us a 1-0, 2-1 win here or it’s fair to expect that.

It's not fair to expect that. But if they go with Woll, maybe we will catch lightning in the bottle? Have nothing to lose.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
It's not fair to expect that. But if they go with Woll, maybe we will catch lightning in the bottle? Have nothing to lose.

Yeah like I said after Game 1. The only risk is you burn Sammy for the remainder of the series on a guy who will basically give you Sammy level goaltending. But with nothing left to lose other than the season, you might as well do whatever you want.

I imagine Sammy won’t see any time again this season or until the next round if the Leafs somehow pull through.

Reactions: Suntouchable13

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006

The only thing I would agree with here is he provided good enough goaltending for the Leafs to win 1 playoff game in this series. And that's it.

It's the most important position on the team. It is viewed with an additional level of scrutiny because of this. He hasn't been good enough in 3 of the 4 games. If this isn't a fact we can't agree on facts.

Reactions: Finger Licking Good

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
If this is true, we’ve made grave mistakes, 40 million on forwards and penauts for goalies.
With the way we play in the playoffs, you’d think we’d have a superstar goalie capable of stealing series’s and he is just hurt so Samsonov/woll (the backup) is playing.

This team plays like they are trying to win 2-1 games but they are built to win 6-4 games

As for woll himself, if he gives us 0 or 6 I won’t really care, I put 0 pressure on the dude. Second straight year he’s come into such a tire fire situation in the playoffs. Last year he was good enough for us to extend the series to 6 if we could score, but I don’t expect the same thing

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
With the way we play in the playoffs, you’d think we’d have a superstar goalie capable of stealing series’s and he is just hurt so Samsonov/woll (the backup) is playing.

This team plays like they are trying to win 2-1 games but they are built to win 6-4 games

As for woll himself, if he gives us 0 or 6 I won’t really care, I put 0 pressure on the dude. Second straight year he’s come into such a tire fire situation in the playoffs. Last year he was good enough for us to extend the series to 6 if we could score, but I don’t expect the same thing

I posted this in the playoff thread but thought I'd share here. I was curious what Samsonov's record would be in the playoffs if he had the goal support of a Colorado vs the goals he's allowed so far playing his shaky game vs Boston.

Game 1 Samsonov 3 goals against, Colorado 6 goals for - Win
Game 2 Samsonov 2 goals against, Colorado 5 goals for - Win
Game 3 Samsonov 3 goals against, Colorado 6 goals for - Win
Game 4 Samsonov 3 goals against, Colorado 3 goals against, pulled after 2, Colorado 5 goals for - Win

So as mediocre as his 3.32 GAA and .883% in the playoffs has been, he would have given a powerhouse offensive team built on expensive superstar talent good enough goaltending to sweep a series. It just goes to show that while he has been leaky at times and by no means above criticism, it's the PP and offense that has failed the Leafs this series. And before people talk about how Boston and Winnipeg are not comparable, Hellebuyck is a bonafide Vezina favorite too.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Woll.jpg

Woll is the one!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad