Pittsburgh Media Thread - The worst of the worst

Status
Not open for further replies.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
Wow, that's pretty sad outfit then if Yohe is a loss. Seems pretty darn replaceable to me.

Yohe was a big name that legitimized DK when he joined. Really doesn't have a ton to do with the quality of his work. He is perceived by the majority of Penguins fans to be a good writer and a lot signed on when he did. Now that he's gone I'm sure there will be a lot of people that do not re-new. Whether you like Yohe's work or not, this is a huge blow to DK.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
So, there's one common denominator in all this employment drama ... hmmm ... what could it be???

Dinfire

Mar 9, 2011
Los Angeles
Even seasoned vets at giant papers don't make that. Not even close.

Six-figures for a beat reporter is insane unless you are doing live hits on ESPN and driving a ton of traffic to the site.

You have no idea what you're talking about.

Dinfire

Mar 9, 2011
Los Angeles
It appears that DK is keeping all the money and paying his workers a pittance. It's also obvious he's not offering them equity. He probably gave Yohe a 10 percent raise to leave the paper. Which means Pittsburgh papers aren't paying jack squat. The whole thing is sad. Senior editors should be getting paid around $100K. Otherwise your talent is lacking and your media company probably isn't going to survive.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Even seasoned vets at giant papers don't make that. Not even close.

Six-figures for a beat reporter is insane unless you are doing live hits on ESPN and driving a ton of traffic to the site.

I'm not sure. I'd like to get a look at their books.

Up front, they're definitely taking a loss, which is why I'm interested in who's fronting this expansion, but over the span of a year, it's not clear to me that they would be.

If their talent are all contractors (ie, no benefits paid), the overhead of this business might be salaries, tech costs and practically nothing else--which would leave them a lot of flexibility in terms of employee compensation. The "Pittsburgh office" might just be Seth Rorabaugh's kitchen.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
The Athletic is a joke, it's another pay service for crap you will find out the moment it hits the news via twitter, tsn, nhl, message boards, hell even ****ing reddit of all places.

Why do people even bother? You would think these people learned already but no.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
The Athletic is a joke, it's another pay service for crap you will find out the moment it hits the news via twitter, tsn, nhl, message boards, hell even ****ing reddit of all places.

Why do people even bother? You would think these people learned already but no.

Aggressive delivery, but I agree with you. No desire to read anything from Yohe or Rorabaugh either.

Jesse's top notch, though, but I'll stick to following certain guys on twitter.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
I subscribe to The Athletic, but I understand if others don't. It may come across as sports news for snobs, but all of the articles are polished if not insightful. I guess it depends on what you're looking for when in an article.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
What exactly could someone write about Jake Guentzel that we already don't know?

His entire life has been covered at this point, what is in that article? His pre-game meal and what games he plays on his phone while taking a dump before games?

I play Hawk on my iphone or Peak. I wonder if he does too!! I'mma go subscribe.

I'm an asshole, I know.

Reactions: iamjs

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I have to say that I just happened to tune in to Madden on the way home the other day, and both he and Kovacevic were in the studio together and it made pretty good listening. Dejan is one guy that won't back down from Madden's domineering personality.

What exactly could someone write about Jake Guentzel that we already don't know?

His entire life has been covered at this point, what is in that article? His pre-game meal and what games he plays on his phone while taking a dump before games?

I'm an *******, I know.

I'm the same way. Reading about how they're just "regular guys" off the ice doesn't interest me. I do not care, and I'd rather not know lest I find some reason to dislike them (like I find out they're into country music or they wear flip-flops).

The sort of details I'm interested in isn't worth covering if you're trying to reach an audience. Off-ice work-out routines.. On-ice minute details like stick flex or skate cut.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
I'm the same way. Reading about how they're just "regular guys" off the ice doesn't interest me. I do not care, and I'd rather not know lest I find some reason to dislike them (like I find out they're into country music or they wear flip-flops).

The sort of details I'm interested in isn't worth covering if you're trying to reach an audience. Off-ice work-out routines.. On-ice minute details like stick flex or skate cut.

I don't subscribe to the website, but from the preview and from familiarity with Justin Bourne's past work, it looks like a player analysis from a guy who used to be on Bridgeport and later worked as a Marlies developmental coach, explaining what, specifically, JG does that makes pros fail at keeping him off the scoresheet (we know it's hockey sense, but I assume Bourne gets more granular than that), why his NCAA work didn't suggest that he'd be knocking on the door of being an NHL all-star immediately (and why this would be misleading) and why so few "hockey people" would have seen Guentzel's star turn (which he appears to believe is legitimate) coming.

Bourne has a tendency to drop these inside baseball sort of nuggets that you really can't get elsewhere, because the other people who do what he does (Jesse, for example, who does great work in his own right, don't get me wrong) never played on a pro level and aren't drawing from the same proximate experience.

Like, in an article where Bourne's talking about the difference in processing speed between NHL players and lower leagues, Bourne might mention that Scott Gomez could make reads so much faster than everybody else in the ECHL that he could puck hog quarterback a powerplay with one hand on his stick, pointing and shouting commands to the other 4 players on the ice and never end up in danger of being stripped before the puck is in the other team's net. That's an image that sticks with you and really drives the point home.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I subscribe to The Athletic, but I understand if others don't. It may come across as sports news for snobs, but all of the articles are polished if not insightful. I guess it depends on what you're looking for when in an article.

That's what interests me. I'd rather have insightful longform reporting than quotes from the pressers and post-games.

I have to say that I just happened to tune in to Madden on the way home the other day, and both he and Kovacevic were in the studio together and it made pretty good listening. Dejan is one guy that won't back down from Madden's domineering personality.

To be fair, Jacob, a good writer can hit both of those notes in a story. It's just that... there's not a lot of good writers in sports journalism these days and a lot of these long-ish form "they're just like us" stories are really just marketing puff pieces, often designed to make the athletes relatable and move merchandise.

The form itself has tons of potential. It's just sad when sports writers and editors squander it.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh

I'm an *******, I know.

We get it, you don't want to pay for sports articles.

Nobody is trying to sell you a subscription.

You made your point,

Reactions: Wes C Addle

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
We get it, you don't want to pay for sports articles.

Nobody is trying to sell you a subscription.

You made your point,

I am curious though, what would those articles contain, if they had a trial period of even a day, I'd check it out just to see how good these articles are, I mean it's cool to read about how laid back Crosby is with his dog and his cabin and blah blah blah, but if it doesn't talk about how he's been working on something and is hoping to see how it works out on the ice, I'm not sure I'd be interested for too long.

But I get it, people that want to know literally everything and anything about someone, it must be a dream to subscribe to that site.

mel

Sponsor
Sep 2, 2006
Boston
I am curious though, what would those articles contain, if they had a trial period of even a day, I'd check it out just to see how good these articles are, I mean it's cool to read about how laid back Crosby is with his dog and his cabin and blah blah blah, but if it doesn't talk about how he's been working on something and is hoping to see how it works out on the ice, I'm not sure I'd be interested for too long.

But I get it, people that want to know literally everything and anything about someone, it must be a dream to subscribe to that site.

If you would like I can pm you my info to the Athletic so you can login and see if it's your cup of tea. I just subscribed today but not sure if I'm going to keep my subscription. I did like the piece that Mirtle did on veterans being pushed out in favor of younger players.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
If you would like I can pm you my info to the Athletic so you can login and see if it's your cup of tea. I just subscribed today but not sure if I'm going to keep my subscription. I did like the piece that Mirtle did on veterans being pushed out in favor of younger players.

Thank you, I really appreciate that, but it's ok. It is nice to hear people do like it though, at least it doesn't seem so dumb knowing that.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
DK and some people complaining about Mirtle and the Athletic as they wrote an article on Mario that they didn't like. Quite sad seeing DK in particular getting their knickers in a twist about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad