Pittsburgh Media Thread - The worst of the worst

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Things we learned from last thread...

Murray likes Coldplay. Coldplay = best band of all time. Life is guuuud.

deal-with-it-gif26.gif

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
Is that one of those Fischer Price keyboards??

And more importantly, did they just pick 4 random people off the street to perform that? It sounds like they picked 4 people who have never seen, or heard, an instrument in their entire life.

Dread Pirate Roberts

Jul 2, 2008
Mountain West
The idea that Coldplay has actual hardcore fans is hilarious to me

It's actually harder for me to understand this than people who are hardcore fans of something terrible but distinctive. Coldplay is just...too bland to be passionate about.

Then again, there are also people who just love Cream of Wheat, so wth do I know?

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
80's U2 still rocks. With you on the rest of it, they lost the ability to find a hook in their music a long time ago. Got comfortable, got full of themselves.

I was 14 when Achtung Baby came out in '91, and while a detour from what I had fallen in love with, it was certainly a good album. Things start slipping from Zooropa which still held some highs though, IMO.

After that.... OK. Agree.

Gallatin

A Banksy of Goonism
Mar 4, 2010
Pittsburgh
I was 14 when Achtung Baby came out in '91, and while a detour from what I had fallen in love with, it was certainly a good album. Things start slipping from Zooropa which still held some highs though, IMO.

After that.... OK. Agree.
I enjoyed Achtung Baby when it came out, but it didn't stick with me like the 80's stuff has.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
I think their newer stuff is all right it's just extremely radio friendly and inoffensive. Pop is a decent album no one remembers, and I think Discotheque is a really underrated rock song.

Anyways, Matt Murray yo.

SwordofStMichael

Apr 4, 2013
DK Sports Radio interview with Penguins Alumni, 50th Anniversary
DK Sports Radio interview with Penguins Alumni: Bob 'Battleship' Kelly
https://soundcloud.com/dkpittsburghsports/interview-battleship-kelly-talk-penguins-50th-anniversary

DK Sports Radio interview with Penguins Alumni: John Cullen
https://soundcloud.com/dkpittsburghsports/interview-john-cullen-on-penguins-50th-anniversary

DK Sports Radio interview with Penguins Alumni: Darius Kasparaitis
https://soundcloud.com/dkpittsburghsports/interview-darius-kasparaitis-on-penguins-50th-anniversary

DK Sports Radio interview with Penguins Alumni: Ken Wregget
https://soundcloud.com/dkpittsburghsports/interview-ken-wregget-on-penguins-50th-anniversary

DK Sports Radio interview with Penguins Alumni: Colby Armstrong
https://soundcloud.com/dkpittsburghsports/interview-benz-colby-armstrong-talk-penguins

DK Sports Radio interview with Penguins 2009 Stanley Cup Alumni
DK Sports Radio interview Penguins 2009 Stanley Cup Alumni:Crosby & Fleury
https://soundcloud.com/dkpittsburghs...09-stanley-cup

DK Sports Radio interview Penguins 2009 Stanley Cup Alumni: Ruslan Fedotenko
https://soundcloud.com/dkpittsburghs...09-stanley-cup

DK Sports Radio interview Penguins 2009 Stanley Cup Alumni: Hal Gill
https://soundcloud.com/dkpittsburghs...ll-on-2009-cup

DK Sports Radio interview Penguins 2009 Stanley Cup Alumni: Matt Cooke
https://soundcloud.com/dkpittsburghs...ke-on-2009-cup

DK Sports Radio interview Penguins 2009 Stanley Cup Alumni: Craig Adams
https://soundcloud.com/dkpittsburghs...ms-on-2009-cup

Last edited:

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I normally think some of these alumni interviews are a reach or totally cheesy, but I love the Battleship Kelley one so far.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
Cross-posting this from another thread, since it's relevant here, too ...

*** Mod Memo ***

I was unsure of a couple of things regarding privacy and copyright, so I sought a little clarification. Just as an FYI going forward ...

Do not post screenshots of user comments from other sites. The exception being if it is your own comment from your own account. Yes, comments on Facebook (and similar sites) are often unintentionally hilarious, and I've done my share of pointing and laughing ... but screencaps should not be posted.

Also, the official policy regarding copyright from the Forum Rules section of the FAQ:
7) Copyrighted Material: Generally you can assume that anything you find online is copyrighted. We prefer you post a synopsis in your own words and the link to the article. It's permissible to quote up to 20 lines of text and you must provide commentary. Links posted with no description (or an inaccurate one) may be removed at the moderators' discretion. DO NOT POST ENTIRE ARTICLES. If you have a question about copyrights see Brad Templeton's 10 Big Myths about copyright explained. Posting and soliciting links to illegal streams is prohibited.

To expand on that regarding articles from subscription based sites, like DK's site ...
Do not post quotes from the articles. You can give your own synopsis and post a link, but no quotes.

So, tl;dr ... No screenshots, no quoting articles behind a paywall.

Thanks, people of the board!

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
To expand on that regarding articles from subscription based sites, like DK's site ...
Do not post quotes from the articles. You can give your own synopsis and post a link, but no quotes.

So, tl;dr ... No screenshots, no quoting articles behind a paywall.

Thanks, people of the board!
Awesome, thank you for enforcing this.

Gallatin

A Banksy of Goonism
Mar 4, 2010
Pittsburgh
OGBobbyFarnham posted this in another thread. Thought it was total awesomness, and belonged here as an all-too-rare example of excellence in Pittsburgh media.

ETA: Here's the full sit down in 2 parts:

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/video...heford-part-1/

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/video...heford-part-2/

Full cliffs:

-Schultz will be a priority. In the prime of his career.
-doesn't feel pressure to make a move at this point
-team hasn't got to the level it's capable of but lot of good individual efforts this year
-as a team it all hasn't come together yet like last year
-need to get healthy and elevate our game. ratchet it up a couple levels
-as long as we do that, haven't seen any team we aren't capable of beating
-but with all that said, i'll be in the mix with other GM's with whats going on and maybe theres something out there that does make sense that we can add depth at a certain position

When asked when/if he gets calls on MAF, will he listen?

(JR) I'll listen and if anything comes along, i'll bring it to the goalie and talk about it but i have the utmost respect for MAF and i know it's been a difficult situation for him. He's used to playing the majority of the games. He's still a really good goalie. He will be for a number of years but we do have the expansion coming up. We have the Cap to look at next year and of course we're trying to win a SC so it's a little bit of a difficult situation but in an ideal world having both of those goalies going into the PO's will be good for us but we don't always work in an ideal world so we'll see what plays out here in the next few weeks.

When asked if he's forced to do something now or can he wait?

(JR) We can wait til it's time to put our expansion draft list in. I'm not concerned about getting backed into a corner in any way as far as our protected list goes with our goalies. I've had enough communication with Marc's agent and with him to know that we'll be able to make the right decisions for the team at that time.

When asked if it's been a distraction?

(JR) No, theres not gonna be a distraction. We have too strong a group in that room and too strong of personalities and charachter in Fleury and Murray and you're not gonna find a better professional athlete than MAF.

Pompeani said he gets calls about what to add and he'd guess JR would like to add a vet puck moving D-man to the group cuz the PO's are relenting with shot blocking, etc. and you need bodies back there.

(JR) We need as many good players as we can get when we start into the PO's and when you look at the Penguins compared to other teams, we didn't get as long a break as others last year (cuz of the Cup run). We played a compact schedule. We got guys that played in the WCup. We got Sid that also went to the All-Star game. These guys have played alot of hockey and they're gonna get tired at times. They're gonna get broken down. They're more apt to get injured. So the more good players you can have going into the PO's, that makes sense.

But theres a price to be paid for adding depth guys and we've gone a long time here trading away picks for depth. Right now we're sitting with 8 draft picks going into this years draft and there comes a point in time where you have to do everything you can to win a Championship but you also have to fill up the cupboard and it gets bare when you move em so i'd really like to keep our draft picks or as many as we can to start gettin' more prospects in the pipeline.

Bob asks him if he feels good about the forward depth with the youngsters on the roster + Jake + Sunny + Sprong.

(JR) We have enough depth at forward. The crop that came up last year played very well. Now we have Guentzel this year. He's showed he's ready to play and make a difference. We got Sunny who's been hurt but he's healthy now and he could come in and play immediately. We got Sprong in JR. He'll be available to us so if the right forward came along in a depth position, we'd consider that but also on Defense, adding as many D-Men as we can would be a good thing.

Bob asks about the playoff format/seeding now and how important it is to win the Metro division?

(JR) In most years, winning our division would be important to us. Don't see it as something we should pressure our players to try and win our division because they've been through so much. Played alot of hockey. We want to be fresh going into the PO's. I'm not concerned about the Pens being able to win games on the road. We can win in any building we play in as long as we're playing 100% so i don't think this is the year our coach should be squeezing our play sayin' we have to win 1st place because we don't have to win 1st to win a SC.

Bob asks about toughness. To what degree do you have to add toughness?

(JR) I don't think you have to improve toughness. We have team toughness. We have guys who can play in those though games. We don't have a physical team that can take it to the other team in a physical way but we can recieve it and continue to play. If theres a physical/tough guy out there that can fit into our lineup and actually play, then, i'll go get that guy. But those guys are hard to find. I like the way our team plays. I like our team speed. I like how we stick together. We didn't have team toughness last year and we won the SC so i don't see why we have to change.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I just heard Madden and DK (I think) talking about whether Guentzel will be a long term top-6er, and Madden said that he's not sure because Guentzel "only has 1 goal in 7 games". DK echoed his concerns about Guentzel being a long term top-6er. Jesus Christ, is this really the best media Pittsburgh has to offer?

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia
I just heard Madden and DK (I think) talking about whether Guentzel will be a long term top-6er, and Madden said that he's not sure because Guentzel "only has 1 goal in 7 games". DK echoed his concerns about Guentzel being a long term top-6er. Jesus Christ, is this really the best media Pittsburgh has to offer?

The other day, Madden's question du jour was "Are we really THAT sure that Murray is better than Fleury?" so.....there we are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad