Pittsburgh Media Thread - The worst of the worst

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dacks

Militant Pacifist
Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa
As a Pens fan living outside Pittsburgh, I'm considering the Athletic just for the content. Not just for the Pens, but for national writers who are no longer available for free online. I'll wait to see how insightful the content is once the seasons starts; if it's just puff pieces I won't subscribe, but I'll give it a chance.

The article was gross. It was an attempt to score easy political points with the SJW types by taking a swipe at an easy target in Mario. This article NEVER gets written if a Wayne Gretzky owned team visited the current Trump White House. Mario has been a target for Toronto high-brow media types forever.

When I heard about the article, I was ready to get enraged, but having now read it, the public rage seems really overblown. The broader point of the article is that if the Pens (and more broadly, the NHL) were hoping to stay neutral on this issue, it's A) impossible, because any action was going to be interpreted one way or another, and B) they handled it in possibly the most tone-deaf way. The only "swipe" at Mario, which I think is a stretch at that, is that he was called out personally. The article could have just as easily been written about the league in general, and it has (I read a very similar article in the Globe and Mail just the other weekend) by other people. Saying that these articles wouldn't have been written about other teams / owners just doesn't ring true - it's the hottest topic in North America sports right now, and the NHL's response was going to be discussed for sure.

Should the writer have left Mario out? Yes, but he's also writing for a specific audience, one that feels a connection to Mario specifically. And other than saying "You can't stay neutral in this", the article was very complimentary to Mario as a person. Anyway, that's my opinion, I was slightly disappointed the Pens didn't respond a little differently to the controversy, but not surprised at all - this is the NHL after all.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I'd actually believe him if it wasn't kind of a common tactic amongst the local media immediately after a player gets dealt for a menial return.

If it was obvious enough to Madden it would've been obvious for the team and he would've been disciplined. Even if they wanted to keep it behind closed doors there would've been some unexplainable time period where Pouliot was away from the team, or unfairly demoted or held out of action. Never happened.

Not that I'd care anyway as long as it was on his own time. Aside from the illegality of it I'd prefer players to smoke pot recreationally over drinking.. The effects on an athlete aren't as deleterious.

Well, there was that time last season when he was possibly healthy and in the press box for a bit earlier in the season. It's just too common that the Pittsburgh media does this to take it seriously. They're the boy who cried wolf about off ice problems and if they've somehow been right every time then it's much bigger than individual players.

SwordofStMichael

Apr 4, 2013
Re the Madden - Pouliot thing
At the end of a long segment talking about Pouliot's time as a Penguin, just before the commercial break, Madden just kind of threw it out there in a round'about way.

It was something like "...oh yeah, remember I said I had a story about Pouliot but couldn't tell it on the air? Well, I'll just say this...."
Then he quoted some song lyrics, I don't remember exactly but had the word "high".

I didn't hear the rest of the show after that so don't know if Madden ever brought it up again later.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Hell, the thought of Pouliot enjoying some natural remedies (and like Madden doesn't brag about his own vices) makes him a more sympathetic person in my eyes.

zero8771

Jun 15, 2012
And Re: The Athletic.

I did try the 30 day trial. I quickly ended my 30 day trial 2 days in. Just the most boring crap I have ever read. They basically scour facts already out there, then make up some long winded article about it.

DK is a tool, no **** there.
But people pumping up the athletic like it's some refreshing take on sports....good f'n lord.

not even sure where to start on this one

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
1507043918299-PenguinsIllustration.jpeg

https://sports.vice.com/en_ca/article/mb7xjb/a-pittsburgh-penguins-3-peat-feels-inevitable

Fun article here. Dave Lozo.

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
On a positive note... even though the external media kinda stinks, the young talent the Penguins have internally is top notch. Michelle Crechiolo, Celina Pompeani and Josh Getzoff (I've given him more listens, more of a chance and I've really changed my mind on him.) are excellent.

Mears will be good too.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex

It's petty that you would block someone for just saying "No thanks" but this make DK look sad. Grow up.

It is also highly ironic given that I know people have said, in particular on here, that DK has blocked them for frivolous things in the past.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I've found that a lot of the media have incredibly thin skin for people who seem to like to dish it out to others. I've been blocked by quite a few media folk for simply questioning their take on various hockey related stuff.

"Oh my God, this person disagrees with me! Block him!"

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Hell, the thought of Pouliot enjoying some natural remedies (and like Madden doesn't brag about his own vices) makes him a more sympathetic person in my eyes.

Does it?

To me it seems like he was more into "that culture" than he was with working hard at the game. Pouliot didn't seem like he endeared himself to the rest of his team mates either and doesn't the league do testing?

Also, living here in Vancouver the last few years, it's kind of funny he's playing for the Canucks now, so many head shops here and it's irritating to be honest with the vapers and the stench of weed literally in the most random of places.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Does it?

To me it seems like he was more into "that culture" than he was with working hard at the game. Pouliot didn't seem like he endeared himself to the rest of his team mates either and doesn't the league do testing?

Also, living here in Vancouver the last few years, it's kind of funny he's playing for the Canucks now, so many head shops here and it's irritating to be honest with the vapers and the stench of weed literally in the most random of places.

Some googling says the league is fairly lenient and lax with testing. Only one third of players get tested in a season and they don't care about pot (maybe any drug?) unless levels are high. Then it goes to their substance abuse board to discuss.

I'm not going to blame his work ethic on pot but it doesn't make him more sympathetic either.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
We have no idea what kind of 'culture' Pouliot is in to, nor do we know how his teammates really feel about him. A vague reference via song lyrics isn't what I'd call 'credible'. Far closer to 'liable' IMHO, so it's probably a good idea to tread very carefully, or better yet not at all until there's something we can link to.

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
The Lesky Years. I wonder what DK's ultimate legacy will be say 20 years down the line.

turd

Feb 1, 2013
DK just lost his Steelers writer to the Athletic. I thought the Athletic was hockey only?
It only was in Pittsburgh...until now. Which is hilarious. DK might lose it.

But The Athletic covers most sports depending on what cities they are in, I think. I know Ken Rosenthal (national baseball writer) is a writer on the site. I think Detroit has at least baseball and hockey. I’m not sure how much NFL coverage they have, but apparently they are trying to get that started.

Now I sit back and wait for DK to go on another petty, 7th grade student-type, twitter mission to bash that website.

turd

Feb 1, 2013
And to add: I get the impression that guys like Yohe and Kaboly hate working with DK or feel under appreciated or something by him. Both when Yohe left, and now with Kaboly, DK instantly goes to twitter to say something like “wait until you see what we have in store for the Pens/Steelers!” Not even really acknowledging that he just lost two writers that were, if not liked, at least known locally. The new girl he has in Yohe’s place, I mean she does ok, but I have never heard of her and she certainly doesn’t move the needle by coming to Pittsburgh. We’ll have to see who he brings on for the Steelers but I imagine it’ll be a similar situation. Someone you’ve never heard of before that isn’t gonna keep eye balls on the site now that Kaboly left. Who knows, just my two cents.

FlightlessBird

Nov 5, 2005
Pittsburgh
Both when Yohe left, and now with Kaboly, DK instantly goes to twitter to say something like “wait until you see what we have in store for the Pens/Steelers!” Not even really acknowledging that he just lost two writers that were, if not liked, at least known locally.
You called it. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad