Pittsburgh Media Thread - The worst of the worst

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
DK and some people complaining about Mirtle and the Athletic as they wrote an article on Mario that they didn't like. Quite sad seeing DK in particular getting their knickers in a twist about it.

DK is currently throwing shade at The Athletic on Twitter for one of their "co-founders" referring to him as a doofus.

It's always amusing to see supposed professionals acting like high school kids.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
I am curious though, what would those articles contain, if they had a trial period of even a day, I'd check it out just to see how good these articles are, I mean it's cool to read about how laid back Crosby is with his dog and his cabin and blah blah blah, but if it doesn't talk about how he's been working on something and is hoping to see how it works out on the ice, I'm not sure I'd be interested for too long.

But I get it, people that want to know literally everything and anything about someone, it must be a dream to subscribe to that site.
There is a 30-day free trial. You use your credit card to sign up, but you can cancel any time during the trial and not be charged.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
DK is currently throwing shade at The Athletic on Twitter for one of their "co-founders" referring to him as a doofus.

It's always amusing to see supposed professionals acting like high school kids.
DK is threatened by The Athletic. He's very provincial and loved the idea that he's blazing this trail online of a subscription site, and here comes this national outlet with deep pockets encroaching on his territory. Not only that, but they pry away Josh Yohe, whose move to DK legitimized the site; they bring Seth Rohrabaugh out of exile, who DK couldn't convince to stick around; and they hired Jesse Marshall, who DK couldn't get to come aboard in the past.

DK is a carnival barker who is getting a taste of his own medicine.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
^ Yeah, saw that about Jesse in the Yohe introduction article. Good for Jesse!

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
Even if this is some low brow move by one of his competitors or something, the very sarcastic and try-hard-with-perfect-grammar tone of DK just makes me want to punch him in the face. Then lol at him praising the new hire to high heavens and totally ignoring the Yohe part of this "lunatic" shill's comment.

I really can't believe I used to like this guy, but I'm not the only one right?

DK on his new hire, 10/1/17: "Crazy intelligent, smooth writer, top reporter"

DK on this hire leaving, say 2/1/18: "We don't typically disclose why people such as Katie leave, Bill, but have you had a chance to check out *another random new hire's* work? Top notch."

Dread Pirate Roberts

Jul 2, 2008
Mountain West
Even if this is some low brow move by one of his competitors or something, the very sarcastic and try-hard-with-perfect-grammar tone of DK just makes me want to punch him in the face. Then lol at him praising the new hire to high heavens and totally ignoring the Yohe part of this "lunatic" shill's comment.

I really can't believe I used to like this guy, but I'm not the only one right?
I used to like him, too. And honestly, even though he's clearly a trash person, he still has a couple qualities that I like. He seems to be loyal to the city of Pittsburgh. He's also the only guy who has shown any consistent willingness to call out the 27th best management team in baseball (and the 10th worst ownership in sports).

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Twitter is trash.
Amen. I rarely use mine. Great for quick info, but 90% poison and negative. Facebook/Twitter is just disgusting negativity.

Instagram, on the other hand, is heaven. You can follow so much positive stuff there. I'm IG/Snap pretty much only at this point. People on twitter/facebook think they have an opinion that matters and in reality, our opinions don't matter. :laugh:

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Amen. I rarely use mine. Great for quick info, but 90% poison and negative. Facebook/Twitter is just disgusting negativity.

Instagram, on the other hand, is heaven. You can follow so much positive stuff there. I'm IG/Snap pretty much only at this point. People on twitter/facebook think they have an opinion that matters and in reality, our opinions don't matter. :laugh:

You should never read the comments on instagram. There's shit everywhere.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
You should never read the comments on instagram. There's **** everywhere.
Yeah I never really browse comments. I am big on animal rescue and sports. I follow a lot of great people who are doing their best and it's a lot of great positive stuff. If you like working out, you can find positive workout motivators (Shaun T). I've noticed most of the Penguins have nothing but great pictures on IG. So at least the things I follow, it's awesome.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Yeah I never really browse comments. I am big on animal rescue and sports. I follow a lot of great people who are doing their best and it's a lot of great positive stuff. If you like working out, you can find positive workout motivators (Shaun T). I've noticed most of the Penguins have nothing but great pictures on IG. So at least the things I follow, it's awesome.

I follow so many random people and things that sometimes it's like "who are you and why am I following you? I'm on your profile and don't know. I've googled you and don't know." I follow some nice photography instagrams, though. You can find positive twitters as well.

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia
The best use of Twitter is an up-to-the-second news source from a sports POV. Around Trade Deadline and UFA Day, it's a must as long as you have some radar around snooping out any fake accounts.

For actual opinion or valid commentary? Yeah, enter ye of your own risk.

WesMantooth

Jan 7, 2005
Pittsburgh, PA
Not sure if this story was told yet, but the 2 guys that own The Athletic met with DK awhile back. DK gave them a bunch of advice. They even wanted to partner with them but DK turned them down. In exchange for his help, there was a handshake deal for them to not come into Pittsburgh. And not only did they come to Pittsburgh but they paid top dollar to take DK's top Penguins writer. Pretty shitty if you ask me.

It was reported on earlier this year:
http://www.crainscleveland.com/arti...-emulate-success-of-pittsburgh-sports-website

Last edited:

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Not sure if this story was told yet, but the 2 guys that own The Athletic met with DK awhile back. DK gave them a bunch of advice. They even wanted to partner with them but DK turned them down. In exchange for his help, there was a handshake deal for them to not come into Pittsburgh. And not only did they come to Pittsburgh but they paid top dollar to take DK's top Penguins writer. Pretty ****ty if you ask me.

http://www.crainscleveland.com/arti...-emulate-success-of-pittsburgh-sports-website

It doesn't seem to mention any "agreement" there but DK is stupid for thinking they would stay away from Pittsburgh.If people wanted it, they'd go there.

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Not sure if this story was told yet, but the 2 guys that own The Athletic met with DK awhile back. DK gave them a bunch of advice. They even wanted to partner with them but DK turned them down. In exchange for his help, there was a handshake deal for them to not come into Pittsburgh. And not only did they come to Pittsburgh but they paid top dollar to take DK's top Penguins writer. Pretty ****ty if you ask me.

I just read that article then scanned back over it to make sure I didn't miss anything. I didn't see anything in it about a handshake deal for the Athletic to not come into Pittsburgh. I have heard that claim from DK himself, but I do wonder if he misinterpreted something they said. (For one thing, I'm pretty sure I've heard his story on that morph over the last few months from the Athletic people saying they didn't have any interest in coming in because of his site already existing, to it becoming some sort of agreement that they wouldn't... there's a rather big difference between those two statements).

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
DK and some people complaining about Mirtle and the Athletic as they wrote an article on Mario that they didn't like. Quite sad seeing DK in particular getting their knickers in a twist about it.

The article was gross. It was an attempt to score easy political points with the SJW types by taking a swipe at an easy target in Mario. This article NEVER gets written if a Wayne Gretzky owned team visited the current Trump White House. Mario has been a target for Toronto high-brow media types forever.

Enter scene: The Athletic Boardroom

Mirtle: "Gentlemen, how do we endear ourselves to the Pittsburgh market considering that a local guy has a paywall foothold in his hometown"
Board: "I'm not sure, but the team is coming off back to back championships. Interest will never be higher and this is our chance to get a share. Suggestions?"
MA Godin: "I say we fill a pressure washer full of diarrhea and fire it at the beloved French Canadian owner who saved the franchise a dozen times over while raising millions for cancer research."
Mirtle: "Jesus, you'll be giving the orders around here soon enough with that line of thinking. Get writing."

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
TBH, I still don't understand why teams HAVE to visit the White House, no matter who is in office. Just seems stupid and trivial, especially in hockey's case. Like how many politicians actually CARE about hockey? Three from Minnesota and a city councilman in Boston and Chicago each? :laugh:

I like it when hockey celebrations are about the team's hometown and hometown fans. The Pens have been killing it with the parades for our Cups.

Which, in a round about way, brings me back to my frustration with the DK/Atlantic beef. There should be room for both in the market. If DK was savvy, he'd position himself as the local color, doing breaking news, and trying to be your source for accurate, timely information about roster moves, postgames, and strategy for a low fee. Trying to replicate the PG's coverage without a Bombouille or the Atlantic's deeper pockets for in-depth stories is suicide.

I get why he's pissed, but that's business and throwing a tantrum about it isn't going to bring back customers or revenue.

Reactions: td_ice

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Madden insinuated that Pouliot was a drug addict. Anyone else catch that?

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Madden thinks apple pie is a drug, so y'know, he's a regular Scruffs McGruff. Just doin' his civic duty to take a bite out of crime.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Madden insinuated that Pouliot was a drug addict. Anyone else catch that?

Is this another post-trade smear campaign by local media, similar to Simon Despres being a drug addict/boozer/gambler and every other vice known to man after he was dealt?

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I'd actually believe him if it wasn't kind of a common tactic amongst the local media immediately after a player gets dealt for a menial return.

If it was obvious enough to Madden it would've been obvious for the team and he would've been disciplined. Even if they wanted to keep it behind closed doors there would've been some unexplainable time period where Pouliot was away from the team, or unfairly demoted or held out of action. Never happened.

Not that I'd care anyway as long as it was on his own time. Aside from the illegality of it I'd prefer players to smoke pot recreationally over drinking.. The effects on an athlete aren't as deleterious.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Well FWIW..Teams don't actively seek out meeting The President, they're invited I believe. So, people can either take the high road and just go to honor the office, or make it about the person that they disagree with, people have chosen the latter, the Pens have chosen the former and people can't handle that and want to push it like they're disrespecting people of color, the stuff going on in America, Immigrants, like suddenly the Pens are Trump or something. People are ridiculous.

And Re: The Athletic.

I did try the 30 day trial. I quickly ended my 30 day trial 2 days in. Just the most boring crap I have ever read. They basically scour facts already out there, then make up some long winded article about it.

DK is a tool, no shit there.
But people pumping up the athletic like it's some refreshing take on sports....good f'n lord.

Reactions: iamjs
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->