Pittsburgh Media Thread - The worst of the worst

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
I doubt they're paying the non big name guys (like Yohe) 6 figures. That was just DK being DK. He's a petulant man baby and it entirely fits his MO.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
Well that clears that up a bit. I still wonder how accurate it actually is.

I also still get the distinct feeling that working under DK would be hellish. But whatever. Hopefully he leaves JB alone. Or the other way around. You know what I mean.

Yeah i can only assume but DK seems like an insufferable boss.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
well I wasn't paying DK and won't Athletic. There si nothing I have ever learned from Yohe, he seems likable guy, for all his supposed access to players and JR he never brought any insight that we have not known already. He is Mr. obvious writing stuff that everyone already knows.

I won't even waste words about the other guy, obnoxious, arrogant condesending all while brings nothing. Neitgher one can tie shoes to j-Bomb, Mackey Molinari or West (He actually lobbied Athlantic for that job)

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
Quick time out from the DK stuff: Josh freaking Getzoff will be the one doing the road games Lange isn't doing? Yikes...

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Why? Been around the Pens a long time. Organization seems to like him. That's worth gold.

Most newspapers/digital writers don't crack six figures, especially as hockey writers. That's usually reserved for national columnists.

Gumbercules

Oct 11, 2007
Just perusing The Athletic wikipedia page, and a comment from the founders notes they would need 8k-12k in subscribers per city to turn a profit, which translates to 320k-480k in revenue, and they are paying two hockey writers 100k each? Seems unlikely.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Yohe leaving for more money shouldn't be surprising or upsetting. It's business, it happens. You have to be your own advocate.

It sounds like his current employer found out the way everyone else did: on Twitter. That's not good business on Josh's part if true. There's nothing wrong with leaving but you tell your boss in person, give them as much advanced notice as possible to plan the transition, and keep bridges intact. That way if the Athletic goes under in a year, Yohe can reach out and try to get his job back. Now though, DK has got to be pissed.

Yohe does not strike me as the confrontational sort. In all his articles, interviews etc he strikes a pretty neutral tone. He's not one to shake the boat or take a controversial stance on anything.

Because of that, I'm not surprised he'd quit that way.

Having said that, I don't think he's an awful writer. He's ok. And I did subscribe to the Athletic as well now to see what sort of coverage they bring.

Yeah yeah I'm a sucker. A huge one :laugh:. But I waste money on worse things than hockey media. I'm ok with paying for a chance to read more stuff about the Pens.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Why would anyone believe DK with anything? He's a petulant child, lying to **** on Yohe for leaving is company is something I think is right up his alley. I can't wait for his website to crash and burn.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Apparently Yohe sent an email to DK, tweeted that out almost immediately after and that's how DK learned about Yohe leaving. That's at least what DK said, he didn't see the email before tweeting that out.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Figures, he's already full of himself so no surprise he thinks he'd be best to replace Yohe.

Probably reeling so he wanted to put in the one guy that wouldn't jump ship, haha.

Not that I care, because I have no interest in subscribing to DK, but.......can't see how losing Yohe would be a big loss. Read his stuff and heard him on the radio in the past, I would say his hockey knowledge is pretty darn basic at best. Not a great interviewer, pretty overall meh reporter. If that is the star of DK's hockey department, he has problems.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Probably reeling so he wanted to put in the one guy that wouldn't jump ship, haha.

Not that I care, because I have no interest in subscribing to DK, but.......can't see how losing Yohe would be a big loss. Read his stuff and heard him on the radio in the past, I would say his hockey knowledge is pretty darn basic at best. Not a great interviewer, pretty overall meh reporter. If that is the star of DK's hockey department, he has problems.

I think the issue is DK has lost a ton of people in the last year or so, people are jumping off that ship left and right. Yohe was really the big guy on his site, he was clearly the #2 behind DK and was super popular overall. It's a pretty sizable loss.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
I think the issue is DK has lost a ton of people in the last year or so, people are jumping off that ship left and right. Yohe was really the big guy on his site, he was clearly the #2 behind DK and was super popular overall. It's a pretty sizable loss.

Wow, that's pretty sad outfit then if Yohe is a loss. Seems pretty darn replaceable to me.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
That dramatic reading of twitter is too perfect.

Yohe's hockey knowledge is at "beat writer who does his job" level. That's not really where the value is in him. The value is that he's an amiable guy with some sense who knows all the principles, is liked by all the principles and people will talk to him.

Like, I think Cullen called him immediately after he decided to sign with the Wild.

If JR wants to get something out through one of the local guys, I'd guess that Yohe would be at the absolute top of the list. Probably the top of the list among local reporters as far as who to have a coffee with, too. He's not a drama queen, he's not disinterested in the job, he's not a fanboy...he's just neutral--and not in a Shelly sort of automaton way--which is a good way of going about covering a sports team.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
DK, a guy that comes off as a pompous, self-righteous know-it-all ******, is losing guys to a competitor. Color me shocked, I'd have imagined he's a dream to work under.

I'm no fan of Yohe's work, I think he's a bit of a clown too, but DK's made his reporting on insider info more about his status and knowledge and "look how connected and smart I am" and less about the info itself. He's a dummy.

Still crazy to me that people pay money to read his stuff, or anyone else on his site. Follow the right people on twitter and you get all the important info just the same, for free.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad