Pittsburgh Media Thread - The worst of the worst

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harv

R.I.P. Pavol.
Dec 30, 2007
:laugh:

Though I gotta say... six figures seems... steep. It's no wonder DK couldn't compete. But I dunno how sustainable those kinds of salaries are. Maybe I'm wrong and it's a gold mine.

Even seasoned vets at giant papers don't make that. Not even close.

Six-figures for a beat reporter is insane unless you are doing live hits on ESPN and driving a ton of traffic to the site.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Even seasoned vets at giant papers don't make that. Not even close.

Six-figures for a beat reporter is insane unless you are doing live hits on ESPN and driving a ton of traffic to the site.

Yeah see... that's kind of what I figured. I just don't know enough about the nitty gritty of the business to say with any authority. But it seems... kinda ridiculous.

zero8771

Jun 15, 2012
6 figure salaries are very sustainable. DK is a nightmare to work for. And this should surprise approximately no one

HMPens

Dec 26, 2011
I'm can't believe Rorabaugh is getting six figures. He sure isn't in the same league as Pierre LeBrun.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Yohe leaving for more money shouldn't be surprising or upsetting. It's business, it happens. You have to be your own advocate.

It sounds like his current employer found out the way everyone else did: on Twitter. That's not good business on Josh's part if true. There's nothing wrong with leaving but you tell your boss in person, give them as much advanced notice as possible to plan the transition, and keep bridges intact. That way if the Athletic goes under in a year, Yohe can reach out and try to get his job back. Now though, DK has got to be pissed.

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
That's just a devastating blow. I like Gajtka, and Audrey Snyder/her PSU coverage is enough to keep me on board. If he loses Snyder, I'm out.

But who knows. Maybe he will poach a J-Bomb. Which wouldn't be horrrrible. I donno. I'll play it by ear.

Wonder how many subscribers he loses. Lucky for him this comes at a time after many have already re-upped.

flaneur

Jul 17, 2013
He might be, but it's more likely this is a money thing. If the Athletic can get Lebrun to leave TSN, they're not being cheap about compensation.

LeBrun is still with TSN. He does tv/games with them but he is writing for the Athletic (which he did with ESPN but not really with TSN).

I'm very tempted. I'm not in Pittsburgh, so I don't care about the Steelers/Pirates/college(?), which means I was never interested in DKPS. The Athletic has been recruiting so aggressively that many of the more interesting hockey writers are now under their roof, but because they weren't covering the Pens I refrained from subscribing -- but now I might have to bite the bullet. Dagnabbit (I'm cheap).

Really hope Bombulie doesn't get poached by DK.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
I don't believe Dejan's comment that Yohe will be making six figures. I think that's Dejan being salty and defensive because he doesn't pay well and the Athletic is willing to pay for quality talent.

I do believe, however, that Yohe got a substantial raise. And I believe Rorabaugh will be more of a manager than covering games.

Also, The Athletic hasn't gone back on what it said about starting a Pittsburgh site. This is hockey only. The Athletic is covering all 31 hockey teams. It hasn't committed to doing anything beyond hockey yet in Pittsburgh.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I guess I hadn't even considered that DK is just super salty and lying because he's a bit embarrassed. I think I'll buy that, instead. Six figures for Yohe seems too hard to believe. Either way, I think DK talking about a peer's salary in a public forum is a bit unprofessional, to begin with.

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
"Welp, I think we might have already found our new hockey writer. THAT didn’t take long."

Has to be either Gajtka, Metzer or J-Bomb.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
I guess I hadn't even considered that DK is just super salty and lying because he's a bit embarrassed. I think I'll buy that, instead. Six figures for Yohe seems too hard to believe. Either way, I think DK talking about a peer's salary in a public forum is a bit unprofessional, to begin with.

He didnt say those two were getting 6 figures he was saying the athletic isnt sustainable because there willing to give 6 figures tobthere bigger guns and are willing to pay more than him.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
He didnt say those two were getting 6 figures he was saying the athletic isnt sustainable because there willing to give 6 figures tobthere bigger guns and are willing to pay more than him.

Well that clears that up a bit. I still wonder how accurate it actually is.

I also still get the distinct feeling that working under DK would be hellish. But whatever. Hopefully he leaves JB alone. Or the other way around. You know what I mean.

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
I love the heel turn by Yohe here but i do wonder about the wisdom and sustainability of a company paying local-level hockey writers over 100k a year.

But if DK is the kind of guy to pull a number like that out of his butt to put an ex-employee on the spot, then it's easy to see why he has so many ex-employees.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad