Confirmed Signing with Link: [PIT] Patric Hörnqvist re-signs with Pittsburgh (5 x $5.3M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
The deal will hurt in the later years but this is their window and guys like Horny don't come around very often. Decent deal.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
You would build terrible hockey teams sir.

Hornqvist is a player that wins you cups. Much like a younger Kunitz. You need a guy with jam to compliment superstars. Oh ya, which players in the league can play the same or slightly lesser role than Horny?

Simmons? Maybe Schenn?

Who else?

Ya, long ass list. Great signing. Clears space for Crosby and Malkin
If Tampa wins is kunitz at five cups ? That's pretty insane

davemess

Apr 9, 2003
Scotland
Seems like a pretty reasonable deal to me. If you look at what some of the other 20 goal, 50 point wingers got last summer then Hornqvist's deal makes sense.

Alex Radulov: 5 years, $6.25

T.J. Oshie: 8 years, $5.75

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
I love Hornqvist. Because I hate him when he plays my team, I wish someone would take the 2 minute penalty and knock that smug punk on his butt.

Wait Pittsburgh is the #1 PP? #1? Are you sure?

Well, check if the ref is watching first. Them hit him the nads. Or on the ankles, there's no padding there. You're allowed to break ankles in the NBA, but can't do that in the NHL? And they say NBA is for sissies. :shakehead

Anyway, great deal, I thought JR got ripped off when they traded Neal for Patric, but this has worked out fantastic for them. Term is for too long, but JR is like the U.S. Congress, he wasn't brought in to fix long term problems, he's going to make the best of the present and then cash his chips and ride off into the sunset. He'll be in retirement/dead long before global warming turns his beach front property into primetime Atlantis property.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Yes.

And Kuntiz at a 1m playing on our third line I'm all for. The problem was he wasn't going to be used that way.

Crosby wants two of them anyways. All the good players go to malkin cuz he can change his play style

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
If Hornqvist is the best player on your 2nd line, is that an elite 2nd line?

If Hornqvist is the best player on your 2nd line, is your team likely to be a contender?

Simply put, he's not a building block, he's a complimentary piece. And complimentary pieces shouldn't be making more than 2 million per

You disagree? Great!

We have differing opinions on how teams should go about managing their cap space

There aren't any teams in the NHL that can say they have the best player on the second line if a Geno Malkin is on the second line. Your always going to be 2nd best you could put practically anyone there and your going to be 2nd best.

You logic makes no sense. CMON MAN

Last edited:
Reactions: Riptide

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
There aren't any teams in the NHL that can say they have the a best player on the second line if a Geno Malkin is on the second line. Your always going to be 2nd best you could put practically anyone there and your going to be 2nd best.

You logic makes no sense. CMON MAN
Third line with kessel what a team. But yeah they have 2 of the best three players of this decade

Tampa vs pens is gonna be amazing but Vegas will probably somehow win the cup

Last edited:

Shoofyou10

Apr 30, 2009
The Burgh
Maybe a little bit too long for a little bit too much money but I wont complain. The window is now and he's one of the heart and soul players for the team. And he most certainly would have gotten more money and just as long (or longer) term on the open market. Overall I'm happy about it.

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
Wings fans, more than any other fanbase, should understand Hornqvist's value and why he can still be productive well into his late 30s.

If you are thinking of Holmström; Yeah, but he did slow down in production in the later years too, it got worse and worse. That said, Hörnqvist is actually a better skater than Holmström was, and havent taken as much beating as poor Homer did. Maybe Hörnqvist scoring will hold up.

And yeah I dont watch many Penguins games, unless its SC finals.

Reactions: tom_servo

Tweed

Jun 25, 2006
you know you have to gtfo when hockey "fans" start comparing Vanek to Hornqvist.

287d6389_1238584287_seinfeld_had_enough.gif

See... that's the problem with UPnP and DHCP. ANYBODY can get on the internet these days.

Reactions: Marcus

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
If you are thinking of Holmström; Yeah, but he did slow down in production in the later years too, it got worse and worse. That said, Hörnqvist is actually a better skater than Holmström was, and havent taken as much beating as poor Homer did. Maybe Hörnqvist scoring will hold up.

Holmstrom had his best seasons at 33 and 34, potting 29 and 30 goals. Then had another couple 20+ goal seasons after that.

Much like Holmstrom, Hornqvist won't have to worry about his puck skills and skating eroding and hurting his game as he ages. Those skills never were a part of what makes him so effective.

So I'm fairly confident he will be quite effective into his mid 30s just like Holmstrom.

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
If Hornqvist is the best player on your 2nd line, is that an elite 2nd line?

If Hornqvist is the best player on your 2nd line, is your team likely to be a contender?

Simply put, he's not a building block, he's a complimentary piece. And complimentary pieces shouldn't be making more than 2 million per

You disagree? Great!

We have differing opinions on how teams should go about managing their cap space
Please personally contact every team in the Metro division other than the Pittsburgh Penguins and apply with them to be part of their management staff. Your concepts here would make any team you are on easier to be beaten by mine every year and I would welcome it with open arms to be on a division rival.

Daeni10

Kunitz was there
Dec 31, 2013
Cologne
Please personally contact every team in the Metro division other than the Pittsburgh Penguins and apply with them to be part of their management staff. Your concepts here would make any team you are on easier to be beaten by mine every year and I would welcome it with open arms to be on a division rival.

How do his teams get to the cap floor though? :D

Reactions: BillPrep

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Getting Brassard at 3M instead of 5M and the cap going up to 80M next year actually allows us to re-sign everyone next season. Horny was our only impactful UFA and while the RFAs (Rust, Sheahan, Oleksiak) will get raises, we have just enough to cover them. Window is still wide open.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Seems like a pretty reasonable deal to me. If you look at what some of the other 20 goal, 50 point wingers got last summer then Hornqvist's deal makes sense.

Alex Radulov: 5 years, $6.25

T.J. Oshie: 8 years, $5.75

I kept looking at the Oshie deal as a comparable. The fact that we got him at less money and for 3 years less term, what is not to like here?

didimentionlarseller

Snipers are a dying bread in the NHL
Nov 23, 2014
St Henri
as long as he can stay reasonably healthy throughout the term this is a great deal for the Pens - he could have clearly gotten more going UFA with another team

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
As much as any single Pens player from the last few years, 72 has been responsible for this team elevating its game to a championship caliber. It was impossible to ignore the change in the team's attitude and work ethic after this guy got here. The guy is heart and guts personified, and is already one of my favorite Pens ever.

I'm sure Tom Hanks already posted it, but it doesnt matter

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: Daeni10

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
Holmstrom had his best seasons at 33 and 34, potting 29 and 30 goals. Then had another couple 20+ goal seasons after that.

Much like Holmstrom, Hornqvist won't have to worry about his puck skills and skating eroding and hurting his game as he ages. Those skills never were a part of what makes him so effective.

So I'm fairly confident he will be quite effective into his mid 30s just like Holmstrom.

He was that old? Ive managed to forgot. Anyway, always some risk with long contracts, but of course they calculate with that.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

As Jiggy pointed out, Holmstrom had his most productive seasons when he was like 33 and 34 years old. He was still a 20 goal scorer up until like age 37 or 38. So even if he "slowed down", he was still effective as a net front guy and still produced.

The same applies to Hornqvist. He's not, and never will be, an elite scorer. What he is is a guy who is a menace in front of the net, a battler along the boards, and a guy who gives 100% every single night. I don't think any of that changes within the time-frame of this extension.

People are acting like the Pens signed him until he was in his 40s. Hornqvist will only be turning 36 when the contract is up.

Reactions: Extra Texture
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad