Confirmed Signing with Link: [PIT] Patric Hörnqvist re-signs with Pittsburgh (5 x $5.3M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Feels like an overpayment. I understand that he is liked but he isnt very young. Same money 3 years term maybe.

Rutherford offered him 3x 5.5m earlier in the season, Hornqvist declined it. So then what do you do? Again, PITs PP decreased by over 50% without him there (~30$ to 12%).

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
This generation’s Tomas Holmstrom. He’s the best in the league at what he does. Couldn’t be happier with the deal. Term is a bit much, but cap hit is great. You’ve got to give to get in negotiations.

hockeyguy1967

Trans hockey fan! Go Leafs and Oilers!
Aug 24, 2017
He's one of the best heart and soul guys to ever play for the Pens. The amount of space he generates is just unreal. He's worth his weight in gold for a hockey team. AND, best of all, he scored 60 points and damn near 30 goals when healthy.
He has never gotten 60 points is past his prime and is on a downwards spiral. Bad signing.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
By re-signing Hornqvist, JR made sure Crosby, Guentzel, Sheary, Malkin, Kessel, Hornqvist, Hagelin, Rust and Brassard, our entire top 9, are signed through next season. Our top 4 D and our keeper are also signed. Basically, this Pens team's "holes" for this season AND the next are... a 6th D (and even then, most team would be happy with Hunwick as their 6th D) and maybe some four liners?

I mean, we are set for the next two playoff runs already. Awesome job by our GM.

Reactions: Shaffer and KIRK

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
It may be hard to win down the road with a 37 year old 20 point player making over 5 m

At no point during this contract will Hornqvist be 37 years old. The final year of the deal starts when Hornqvist is 35 and will finish when he's 36. Any new extension he signs will cover his 36/37 year.

At most, guys like him should be making 2 million per

Yes... guys who produce extremely regularly and are constant 20+ goal guys while being one of the best in the league at what he does... is only worth 2m. Lets see who just signed a deal... I mean Sceviour signed for 3x1.2m. Pretty sure Hornqvist is at least twice the player he is. Cogliano signed for 3.25m... yep better than him as well. Bailey did just sign for 5m after his 2nd season of putting up 42+ points... and guess what? I'd still take Hornqvist over him.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Hornqvist is responsible for alot of goals that don't show up on the stat sheet. Like almost every PP goal is because of him in a way.

Just look at the pens PP % with him. Then look at it without him.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Rutherford offered him 3x 5.5m earlier in the season, Hornqvist declined it. So then what do you do? Again, PITs PP decreased by over 50% without him there (~30$ to 12%).
Could have tried vanek but may as well keep the guy you know that works. Only other guy that has a similar skill set that would be cheap and available

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
He has never gotten 60 points is past his prime and is on a downwards spiral. Bad signing.
Ah yes... the "bad signing" with no evidence to back it up.
He's scoring at the exact same pace he normally does.

Don't bring logic into this... contracts are only handed out based on points... and if Hornqvist doesn't score 60 pts, clearly he's a terrible player and not worth 5.3m. :sarcasm:

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Not as good. I'll take the guy who isn't constantly being tossed from team to team.
Vanek has been super good last few years he has just been on garbage teams Detroit and Vancouver have to trade all their 1 year contracts. But I said you may as well keep horn anyways he's proven

Human

cynic
Jan 22, 2011
Bandwagon
you know you have to gtfo when hockey "fans" start comparing Vanek to Hornqvist.

287d6389_1238584287_seinfeld_had_enough.gif

Reactions: Morrison
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad