Confirmed Signing with Link: [PIT] Patric Hörnqvist re-signs with Pittsburgh (5 x $5.3M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Favorable deal in the sense it is a 4 years of production and probably the last year is iffy. But he does bring the net presence element that the pens need. So not the worst deal and should benefit the PP and the compete level as well.

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen
With the stupid contacts that had been given out before to UFAs, he probably would have gotten 6mil for 5 or years years this summer. Glad the Pens locked him up and surprised they did at that cap hit. Might be a year longer than you’d want but the Pens are in win now mode for the next few years.
It may be hard to win down the road with a 37 year old 20 point player making over 5 m

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
He's one of the best heart and soul guys to ever play for the Pens. The amount of space he generates is just unreal. He's worth his weight in gold for a hockey team. AND, best of all, he scored 60 points and damn near 30 goals when healthy.

Hornqvist weighs 189 lbs (85.9 kg). Gold costs $42,353.79 per kg today. Ergo, Hornqvist is worth $3,638,575.60. Clearly he is overpaid on this contract.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Maybe a year too long, but the the money is fine. The Pens don't have too many bad contracts. So they can handle a contract like this.

And if any balks at it, he's a valuable member of the team.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
What's the pens cap next year are they gonna have to give Sheary away or does hags contract end

But tbh it's a good move keeping the core together till Crosby and malkin are done

They may have to trade Sheary but I don't think they need to give him away. If the cap hits 80 million then they should be able to fit everyone in.

It may be hard to win down the road with a 37 year old 20 point player making over 5 m

Pens best chance of winning is in the next 3 years, and having Hornqvist here definitely helps more than letting him go to a rival.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
A guy with seven straight seasons of 20+ goals is going to get paid. Especially if he happens to have a pair of Cup rings to go with them.

Reactions: BLNY and Riptide

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
What's the pens cap next year are they gonna have to give Sheary away or does hags contract end

But tbh it's a good move keeping the core together till Crosby and malkin are done
Hags has another year after this and Sheary has two. For a combined hit of 7M, I suspect in the off season one or both of them will be shipped out to make space for resigning Rust, Guntzel and ZAR the following year, lesser signings like Kuhn also. But regardless I see at least one of the two of Hags or Sheary gone... if not both in the off season. They are both serviceable middle six wingers. Sheary has his moments he can be the 3rd wheel on a top line. But those are not the types of players you pay 7M combined for. They serve their time then you move them for assets then promote within via youth to fill those middle six roles.

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
Feels like an overpayment. I understand that he is liked but he isnt very young. Same money 3 years term maybe.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
At most, guys like him should be making 2 million per

EDIT: I haven't studied where the cap is and where it's trending over the next 5 seasons, so maybe 2 million is a tad light. But I certainly wouldn't go any higher than 3 million per over 3 years

Last edited:

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
Feels like an overpayment. I understand that he is liked but he isnt very young. Same money 3 years term maybe.
He is 31, it’s only just barely over a 1M raise, and even if he declines and he is only a main stay on the 3rd line and net front PP guy that is a completely serviceable contract. It’s not such an over bearing contract, ala the Lucic contract, that in a few years with cap inflation and a small bit or retention of necessary he couldn’t be traded easily to a team with PP troubles doing a playoff push. It’s far from a bad contract.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
About a million overpaid, but probably worth it for them.

Given how dismal our PP was without him (30% to 12%), signing him was a must. And he makes 4.25m today... he was always going to get a raise. 5.3m is very good for what he brings. I can see the term being an issue in year 5... but that's just the way things are - you gotta bend somewhere or you won't get the player - and we needed him.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Correct Pens have no bad contracts and this won't be one. He is a warrior and plays to the max and he is 36 at the end. that is hardly a killer here. By that 5th year the cap could well be 90 million and that is 6% of the cap. Pens have just about everyone of note locked up for two to 5 more years with the oldest 31.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK

Why would a player like Hornqvist take a 3 year deal when he knows he'll be offered multiple 5/6 year deals in the summer?

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

Things will be tight... but no, they won't have to move bodies to be under the cap. At least they should - however unless Sheary has a dramatic turnaround in the playoffs or with Brassard as his center (Sheary - Brassard - Kessel "3rd line" tonight), odds are he will be the first to go if we need cap space. Him or Hunwick - but I suspect Sheary given that we have Simon and Sprong in the minors who can replace his offense (at least what we've seen this year) at a fraction of the cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad