Confirmed Signing with Link: [PIT] Patric Hörnqvist re-signs with Pittsburgh (5 x $5.3M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
A bit rich but he's been great for the team. And theyre still in a window. They're worried about the next 3 years, not the last couple

HasbeenHallzy

May 14, 2015
Sudbury
Horny is the best net-front guy I have ever seen (yes, better than Holmstrom) the guy creates havoc and he's crazy clutch. I thought for sure his rookie season was a Ryan Clowe like fluke/outlier but the guys just gets better.

Good signing for the Pens- probably a year or two too long but with his skill set he should remain very effective for some time

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
The term is bad, but it doesn't matter for the pens. They're likely to a mediocre team in years 4-5 of hornqvist's deal so they're in a win now mode as they should be

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
you know you have to gtfo when hockey "fans" start comparing Vanek to Hornqvist.

287d6389_1238584287_seinfeld_had_enough.gif
Tbh they are both insanely good around the net . But sure not a fan

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
If Hornqvist is the best player on your 2nd line, is that an elite 2nd line?

If Hornqvist is the best player on your 2nd line, is your team likely to be a contender?

Simply put, he's not a building block, he's a complimentary piece. And complimentary pieces shouldn't be making more than 2 million per (maybe 3 million over shorter term)

You disagree? Great!

We have differing opinions on how teams should go about managing their cap space

Last edited:

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Would not have expected as much term and salary but hey if they are happy with him good for him.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

If Hornqvist is the best player on your 2nd line, is your team likely to be a contender?

Simply put, he's not a building block, he's a complimentary piece. And complimentary pieces shouldn't be making more than 2 million per

You disagree? Great!

We have differing opinions about how teams should go about managing their cap space

I mean, that's asininely stupid and seeing how the Penguins have won 2 straight cups with Hornqvist making $4.25 million a year, it's pretty easy to prove your asininely stupid theory wrong. You can have your opinion all your want, but I'll take the word of the team that has won 2 cups in a row, not some random HFer.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Just cheaper . Similar skill sets but vanek sucked for the wild so everyone hates him now

They produce the same and Vanek scores from around the net. But that's where the "similar skill sets" ends. Hornqvist is significantly better/more valuable to the team when he's not scoring then what Vanek is. And that's why Hornqvist is one of, if not the best in the league at what he does.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
I mean, that's asininely stupid and seeing how the Penguins have won 2 straight cups with Hornqvist making $4.25 million a year, it's pretty easy to prove your asininely stupid theory wrong. You can have your opinion all your want, but I'll take the word of the team that has won 2 cups in a row, not some random HFer.

Are you saying the Pens wouldn't have won those Cups if Hornqvist was making 2 million?

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
They produce the same and Vanek scores from around the net. But that's where the "similar skill sets" ends. Hornqvist is significantly better/more valuable to the team when he's not scoring then what Vanek is. And that's why Hornqvist is one of, if not the best in the league at what he does.
Just said he would be cheaper didn't say they made the wrong move . Just not many guys that make a living tipping pucks anymore.

Pens power play is worse when guentzel is in because they don't need another shooter with malkin and kessel on both sides

Last edited:

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

Simply put, he's not a building block, he's a complimentary piece. And complimentary pieces shouldn't be making more than 2 million per

You disagree? Great!

We have differing opinions on how teams should go about managing their cap space

Does Malkin no longer exist?

LOL. You can have a "differing opinion" all you want. I'd also suggest you get a reality check with what NHL players are making and how good NHL rosters are actually constructed. A good place to start might be with the first back to back champions in 2 decades.

Oh and your "opinion" on how a team should manage their cap space... yeah I'll just trust Rutherford who's just won a pair of cups.

Reactions: Griffin6612

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Tbh they are both insanely good around the net . But sure not a fan

The problem is Vanek is not known as a heart and soul, hard working player, while Hornqvist is.

It would be like saying Crosby and Evgeni Kuznetsov play similar styles because they both are great playmakers, ignoring all the other stuff.

Reactions: Riptide

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

You disagree? Great!

Do you even understand how the cap works? You're essentially saying unless a player is a star, he shouldn't make more than $2 million.

You might want to go over to cap friendly and see how much the "average" player makes today. I think you're stuck in 1998.

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
Are you saying the Pens wouldn't have won those Cups if Hornqvist was making 2 million?
???????

That doesn't make any sense whatsoever. Are you saying that Pens would have won the Cup even more if Hornqvist was replaced by someone making 2 million? Letestu or Glendening or Kassian?

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
???????

That doesn't make any sense whatsoever. Are you saying that Pens would have won the Cup even more if Hornqvist was replaced by someone making 2 million? Letestu or Glendening or Kassian?

Dude, those guys are all overpaid too. Anyone who can't be the best player on a 2nd line should only be making 2m. That's what he said. Let that sink in for a minute.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
Very few Pittsburgh fans think this is a bad deal. We know what he brings. I'm definitely happy about it.

You disagree? Great!

I use hyperbole way too much on this website, but I think I can say with great confidence that this is the worst post I've ever read.

Do you have any clue what you're talking about? That's actually a rhetorical question. This is one of those times that others can say your opinion is wrong. It's not even a disagreement. What you said is just from outer space and doesn't make any sense in reality, compadre.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
The problem is Vanek is not known as a heart and soul, hard working player, while Hornqvist is.

It would be like saying Crosby and Evgeni Kuznetsov play similar styles because they both are great playmakers, ignoring all the other stuff.
Crosby is the best grinder of all time and he is super annoying to get guys he likes to play with . But sure I get your point .

Richard

Feb 8, 2012

You disagree? Great!

You would build terrible hockey teams sir.

Hornqvist is a player that wins you cups. Much like a younger Kunitz. You need a guy with jam to compliment superstars. Oh ya, which players in the league can play the same or slightly lesser role than Horny?

Simmons? Maybe Schenn?

Who else?

Ya, long ass list. Great signing. Clears space for Crosby and Malkin

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex

You disagree? Great!

naked-gun-facepalm.gif

Incredible.

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
This thread is a litmus test on who actually watches the Pens more often than once in a blue moon. Is it possible that Hornqvist's production will fall off a cliff? Sure. But it's a risk very much worth taking. And who the hell cares if he will be overpaid 5 years from now. Unless we have some truly miraculous drafting or Crosby and Malkin discover the fountain of youth we won''t be Stanley Cup contenders five years from now anyway.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
You don't become a leader in innovation by following the same template as everyone else

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad