Confirmed Signing with Link: [PIT] Patric Hörnqvist re-signs with Pittsburgh (5 x $5.3M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

135ace

Mar 18, 2015
If Hornqvist is the best player on your 2nd line, is that an elite 2nd line?

If Hornqvist is the best player on your 2nd line, is your team likely to be a contender?

Simply put, he's not a building block, he's a complimentary piece. And complimentary pieces shouldn't be making more than 2 million per

You disagree? Great!

We have differing opinions on how teams should go about managing their cap space

What are you smoking buddy? Tons of complimentary players make more than 2MM. Hell, pretty much anyone that's not a rookie, backup goalie, or a borderline NHL player likely makes more than that.

I mean, that's asininely stupid and seeing how the Penguins have won 2 straight cups with Hornqvist making $4.25 million a year, it's pretty easy to prove your asininely stupid theory wrong. You can have your opinion all your want, but I'll take the word of the team that has won 2 cups in a row, not some random HFer.

You my friend need to look up the definition of the word asinine. It's asinine to write something like "asininely stupid".

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
that could be a rough contract in a couple years.

I can't help but wonder if it sets the market for JVR

PensRedwings2887

Dec 1, 2010
He has never gotten 60 points is past his prime and is on a downwards spiral. Bad signing.

I completely disagree. He's the only player on the Pens w/ a unique skill set that we have considering Kunitz left via f/a. he's the heart and soul of this team. Hornqvist helps win puck battles off of face-offs and goes into the corners and will go to the net and attack it. Unlike former Penguin great James Neal, Hornqvist also doesn't take unnecessary stupid penalties. As Riptide stated in a previous post, the Pens powerplay is a lot more effective w/ him in it, and the Pens are also a completely different team when 72s in the lineup. He creates space for his teammates and plays a 200-ft game. The only bad signing is Hunwick, but I believe one of him or Sheary will be moved if the cap becomes an issue.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
He was that old? Ive managed to forgot. Anyway, always some risk with long contracts, but of course they calculate with that.

Yep, he did quite well into his mid 30s and beyond.

I suspect Hornqvist can play his style well into his mid 30s as well.

Like I said, guys like him and Holmstrom don't/didn't really rely on the kind of skills that age suddenly takes away.

I think it is more likely that he gets a bad injury, and can't play anymore (Pens naturally LTIR him), than him breaking down into some useless player in five years.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I can't help but wonder if it sets the market for JVR

Unfortunately for Leaf fans... probably not. JVR is younger, and that age will allow a team to give him more term. Rutherford offered him 3x5.5m in Nov, Hornqvist wanted 5 years, and this was the compromise. If he hadn't wanted to stay, he'd be getting a lot more in FA. This was the balance between what he wanted, and what the Penguins could pay him. There was a comment from him after we acquired Brassard that was essentially: "This is why I love playing for Pittsburgh, we do whatever it takes to win" (or something along those lines).

With JVR being 29 vs 31 when the contract takes effect, someone will give him 7 years. And odds are it's going to be at 6m... if not a little more. Especially with the cap going up this summer.

Reactions: td_ice

RottenScoundrel

Jan 24, 2008
Up on the Hill
What are you smoking buddy? Tons of complimentary players make more than 2MM. Hell, pretty much anyone that's not a rookie, backup goalie, or a borderline NHL player likely makes more than that.

You my friend need to look up the definition of the word asinine. It's asinine to write something like "asininely stupid".

In the words of Forrest Gump, "Stupid is as stupid does."

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Seems like a fine deal to me. However, I'd always be a bit wary of signing players at his age and with his play style to such term.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
What's the pens cap next year are they gonna have to give Sheary away or does hags contract end

But tbh it's a good move keeping the core together till Crosby and malkin are done

Hornqvist was the only UFA unless you want to count Rowney who won’t be in the top 12 forwards now. So with everyone signed for next year besides a few RFA’s with no danger of someone offering an offer sheet. The Pens will have the whole team back next year which is pretty amazing for a team that just won 2 Cups.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
There aren't any teams in the NHL that can say they have the best player on the second line if a Geno Malkin is on the second line. Your always going to be 2nd best you could put practically anyone there and your going to be 2nd best.

You logic makes no sense. CMON MAN

Malkin has nothing to do with my "logic"

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
Jealous of this signing as a Red Wings fan. Horny has always been one of my favorite players.

While this contract may be a year too long how anyone can think it's an overpayment is beyond me.

Pens window is now and will be closing most likely as Crosby and Malkin get older. With the cap going up if need be you could probably sell him off for assets if need be.

Reactions: td_ice

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Hate the team, love the player. Hopefully there's a sharp drop in his play and they regret the length of the deal, but I don't see it happening.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I think it's already been stated that the length of the contract is not ideal. I think there are 2 good years in that contract and things will start to drop for him. Plays such a rough game and pays the price in front of the net.

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
100% of Pens fans are thrilled that we're keeping Horny.

Even if his stats aren't elite his presence makes a giant impact. Especially in the playoffs and on the PP. Best net front presence in the NHL.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
It is definitely a year or two too long and maybe overpriced by only about $300,000 in cap space. It is a decent deal for all parties. He has been injury prone as of late which is a bit concerning. He seems to be on the Malkin pace of 70 games or so most years, with the exception of 2015.
Pens’ fans certainly overrate him. You’d think this team lived and died by him by some of the homer comments. I imagine all of these fan boys will be trashing him in 3 years just like what happened to Kunitz. It went from praise to hatred pretty quickly with Kunitz.

BeastoftheEast85

Dec 31, 2010
New Jersey
Not a terrible signing but far from great. Best thing would have probably been to give him more term or more AAV but not both. For reference he is making more than Josh Bailey with almost the same term and is 3 years younger.

But I guess it’s better than losing him with this teams window to win another cup proabably closing in the next few years.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I think it might be 2 years too long, but short term, fantastic deal. Such an underrated, important player to have on your team.

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
At most, guys like him should be making 2 million per

EDIT: I haven't studied where the cap is and where it's trending over the next 5 seasons, so maybe 2 million is a tad light. But I certainly wouldn't go any higher than 3 million per over 3 years

That's nuts. Seven straight 20 goal season. He's a 50 points per 80 games player. $5.3 million might be a tad high, but $2-3 million is a ridiculous expectation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad