Confirmed Signing with Link: [PIT] Patric Hörnqvist re-signs with Pittsburgh (5 x $5.3M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
Not a terrible signing but far from great. Best thing would have probably been to give him more term or more AAV but not both. For reference he is making more than Josh Bailey with almost the same term and is 3 years younger.

But I guess it’s better than losing him with this teams window to win another cup proabably closing in the next few years.

Do you think they're comparable though? Different players, different career paths, different roles
Pens know what they get with Hornqvist, he's been the exact same player for ages and that's what they want and gets. One of the best of his kind in the league.
He's been a key part of two Stanley Cups victories.

He had a good leverage to get a good contract.

Bailey has never had a season like this before, is it one and done? Will he continue to play like this?
Who knows. It's a gamble. It could turn out to be a massive steal though.

I dont think this comparison makes any sense.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
PointlessRecentGermanwirehairedpointer-size_restricted.gif

Hornqvist-Shoves3748.gif

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Seems like a lot for someone with his age and mileage, but I guess PIT is going hard trying to win as much as possible. Gonna be messy when this group of runs is over I think.

What's with Hornqvist pushing the equipment guy in that GIF? Not okay imo.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
That's nuts. Seven straight 20 goal season. He's a 50 points per 80 games player. $5.3 million might be a tad high, but $2-3 million is a ridiculous expectation.

Are you paying him for what's he done? Or for what he's likely to do in the future?

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
Seems like a lot for someone with his age and mileage, but I guess PIT is going hard trying to win as much as possible. Gonna be messy when this group of runs is over I think.

What's with Hornqvist pushing the equipment guy in that GIF? Not okay imo.

That gif is really choppy. I think it's making it look a lot worse than it was.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
That gif is really choppy. I think it's making it look a lot worse than it was.
MAF seems like a good guy and the look on his face kind of confirms that it was a really strange thing to do. The equipment guy isn't another player, can't be pushing them around.

I like Hornqvist a lot as a player, that's just a surprising and kind of messed up thing to do.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
It is definitely a year or two too long and maybe overpriced by only about $300,000 in cap space. It is a decent deal for all parties. He has been injury prone as of late which is a bit concerning. He seems to be on the Malkin pace of 70 games or so most years, with the exception of 2015.
Pens’ fans certainly overrate him. You’d think this team lived and died by him by some of the homer comments. I imagine all of these fan boys will be trashing him in 3 years just like what happened to Kunitz. It went from praise to hatred pretty quickly with Kunitz.

Yes, it truly would be shocking that, if his production declines, and he continues to be spoon fed top six minutes year after year, fans will get on his back. That's a real truth bomb you're hitting us with. :rolleyes: Please, we cant take any more of this roasting.

If bagging on the opinions of other Pens fans is your other past time, I look forward to you getting back to your weekly "JR is a failure" missives.

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
Love Hornqvist, he's a beauty.
His style will make continuing his level of play difficult to maintain for 5 more years but here's hoping he can.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Yes, it truly would be shocking that, if his production declines, and he continues to be spoon fed top six minutes year after year, fans will get on his back. That's a real truth bomb you're hitting us with. :rolleyes: Please, we cant take any more of this roasting.

If bagging on the opinions of other Pens fans is your other past time, I look forward to you getting back to your weekly "JR is a failure" missives.
I said it was a little rich and a bit long. Relax, guy. It’ll look bad in 3 years but our window will likely be closing by then anyways.

OCPenguin

Jan 22, 2013
Very glad to see him back in the fold. 5.3 isn't bad ... I could have done this with maybe two less years of term. PH is a heart and soul guy ... standup and character guy ... plays hard and shows emotion while doing it. He is a unique person on the roster and he is the lone guy to park himself in front and take a beating. We have to hope he remains somewhat healthy.

Now, I'm wondering who is on the move out. I will assume Rowney won't be resigned and have no problem with that. We have Sheahan, Rust, Oleksiak, Jarry and Kuhnackl as RFAs.

Sheary and Hunwick are two that probably will be moved. We probably need to add something in the offseason.

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
Very glad to see him back in the fold. 5.3 isn't bad ... I could have done this with maybe two less years of term. PH is a heart and soul guy ... standup and character guy ... plays hard and shows emotion while doing it. He is a unique person on the roster and he is the lone guy to park himself in front and take a beating. We have to hope he remains somewhat healthy.

Now, I'm wondering who is on the move out. I will assume Rowney won't be resigned and have no problem with that. We have Sheahan, Rust, Oleksiak, Jarry and Kuhnackl as RFAs.

Sheary and Hunwick are two that probably will be moved. We probably need to add something in the offseason.
The way I see It two of the three in the group of... Sheary, Hagelin, or Hunwick will be moved out for cap this off season. Gotta jump on getting ahead of the cap for RFA’s both this coming off season and next.

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015

Agreed. Sheary should be traded for the highest pick possible.

Hunwick for literally anything (though some teams may cough up a 5th or 6th which I would be ecstatic with)

There’s almost 6 million in space right there. Keep Hagelin but he comes off the books the year after anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad