Peterborough Petes 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

fishfan51

Sep 7, 2008
Niagara Falls
[QUOTE="Petes, post: 145775505, member: 230585"]Didn't realize you guys were going to be contenders next season.. why did your GM waste so many assets this year on Miletic then? Lol.

Anyways, maybe a team like London, Missy or North Bay? I dunno who will really be in the mix for Cuylle.[/QUOTE]

That's a question plenty of IceDog fans have.

As far as being contenders... Name a team in the East you would rank ahead of Niagara going into next year. Niagara gave Hamilton everything they could handle, (3 OT games and 2 one goal games) The Dogs will have pretty much their entire roster returning minus their OA's.

Reactions: Ptbomillsy619

Zebra

Feb 12, 2017
The facts Section7.

The Russians are getting around our import rule by coming here in MM to play (eg. SDA, Gogolev, Koro, and many more). Most even question their real age?

Why can Euros play in the AHL at 19 and Canadians must be either in the NHL or remain in the CHL. They should be given the same rights as the Euros but are not.

The USHL restrict imports (as Canadians we are imports). The CHL has no restrictions for US kids.

The US College/University system is getting harder and harder for our kids to get into. Check their rosters and see how many are Americans (almost all Americans). Scholarships are rarely full rides and parents who tell you this are probably lying to you. There are exceptions.

I did not make these facts up, I researched them. The truth is, I would rather see the CHL as a place for only Canadians and a restricted number of Americans like they do to us. I want absolutely no Euros. Russians only play big for their own country. I want more local kids like DeNoble, McNamara, etc.

The Cuylie and Bar kid are exercising their limited rights. It comes down to making Peterborough a place where kids want to play. A solid organization will draw kids, this means good coaching and management. We let two good coaches go in Grimes and Foster, that is my point. So next time instead of starting a sentence with "I think", research the facts and then you can start with "I know". Canadian's have limited options.

Amen to everything you state!

Section7fan

Feb 12, 2018
The facts Section7.

The Russians are getting around our import rule by coming here in MM to play (eg. SDA, Gogolev, Koro, and many more). Most even question their real age?

Why can Euros play in the AHL at 19 and Canadians must be either in the NHL or remain in the CHL. They should be given the same rights as the Euros but are not.

The USHL restrict imports (as Canadians we are imports). The CHL has no restrictions for US kids.

The US College/University system is getting harder and harder for our kids to get into. Check their rosters and see how many are Americans (almost all Americans). Scholarships are rarely full rides and parents who tell you this are probably lying to you. There are exceptions.

I did not make these facts up, I researched them. The truth is, I would rather see the CHL as a place for only Canadians and a restricted number of Americans like they do to us. I want absolutely no Euros. Russians only play big for their own country. I want more local kids like DeNoble, McNamara, etc.

The Cuylie and Bar kid are exercising their limited rights. It comes down to making Peterborough a place where kids want to play. A solid organization will draw kids, this means good coaching and management. We let two good coaches go in Grimes and Foster, that is my point. So next time instead of starting a sentence with "I think", research the facts and then you can start with "I know". Canadian's have limited options.

If you actually did the research then you would know that import players that are NHL drafted prior to being CHL drafted are able to jump to the AHL when the NHL team wants. Import players that are drafted to the CHL before the NHL are subject to the same rule as Canadians and Americans.

And FYI... I KNOW Canadians CAN play in the NCAA. I KNOW Canadians CAN play in the USHL. I KNOW Canadians have equal options.

Go check your facts so you can start a sentence with “I know” and not have your foot in your mouth.

Last edited:

WillardJFredricks

May 7, 2004
Totally random post, but former Pete Ryan Card is an OHL linesman now. He's in the game tonight between Hamilton and the Soo. I remember he worked some games in Peterborough this season but I forgot about it until tonight when I saw him breaking up a scrum.

Square Corners

Mar 1, 2018
That's a question plenty of IceDog fans have.

As far as being contenders... Name a team in the East you would rank ahead of Niagara going into next year. Niagara gave Hamilton everything they could handle, (3 OT games and 2 one goal games) The Dogs will have pretty much their entire roster returning minus their OA's.

Niagara was just okay before they got Miletic and now they lose Miletic. They'll be good next year, but I don't think they'll be the best in the East.

Also as we all know, it usually comes down to how many top tier players you trade for, and Niagara can't keep up with OSH/OTT now because they wasted so many picks on Miletic. Just my 2 cents

Hammer9001

Apr 1, 2015
Hamilton
Niagara was just okay before they got Miletic and now they lose Miletic. They'll be good next year, but I don't think they'll be the best in the East.

Also as we all know, it usually comes down to how many top tier players you trade for, and Niagara can't keep up with OSH/OTT now because they wasted so many picks on Miletic. Just my 2 cents

To this point, I will state while you are right compared to London, Oshawa and Ottawa, Niagara doesn't have as many picks to work with, Kingston, Hamilton and Sarnia will be without a doubt looking to acquire some second round picks soon. I will wager the Ice Dogs can snag at least a couple decent veteran players from those teams to fill the gaps.

Square Corners

Mar 1, 2018
To this point, I will state while you are right compared to London, Oshawa and Ottawa, Niagara doesn't have as many picks to work with, Kingston, Hamilton and Sarnia will be without a doubt looking to acquire some second round picks soon. I will wager the Ice Dogs can snag at least a couple decent veteran players from those teams to fill the gaps.

But if OTT/OSH/LDN wanted those players, they just offer more (because they can afford to) and NIA can't keep up

icepups

Jul 11, 2014
But if OTT/OSH/LDN wanted those players, they just offer more (because they can afford to) and NIA can't keep up

I’ve heard that a certain young puck moving d’man that is projected as a potential high NHL pick is being dangled. Niagara has too many offence minded D and not enough stay at home / shut down D. He may bring in part of what Niagara needs.

Hammer9001

Apr 1, 2015
Hamilton

True, but do you need to cover as much ground with trades as those teams? I would wager you don't. If Ottawa wants to make a serious play, they'll need to stretch their "budget" a lot more.

OHL insideout

Jan 12, 2016
And London isn't going for anything this coming year, they will be too young. They are loaded with 00,01,02 players, so their best play would be to make a run after next season IMO.

fishfan51

Sep 7, 2008
Niagara Falls

Ottawa and Oshawa have to first catch up to the Dogs. Obviously the Dogs are/were better than those teams. They'll have to give up picks to get a player or two just to get to par with Niagara. Besides picks the Dogs have some high end young talent (Tomasino, Constantinou, Moore, etc.) that will no doubt be asked for in any deal. It just depends whether the Dogs are willing to give up that much of the future. If they are, they have the assets to add plenty of pieces.

I can see a London/Niagara final for the 3rd time in 8 years.

R0bert0 Lu0ng0

Nov 19, 2007
When did I say the Petes own the kid? I'm saying that these kids should have to honour the draft or find another league to play. The OHL is not a league where you pick your destination. I don't care how much these people pay for kids hockey. Follow the rules or go home.

Canada does have freedoms but that doesn't mean you can literally do whatever you want. You can't just quit your job and walk into another one and throw a uniform and start working without going through that companies hiring process.

You should really think the things you say so you don't make yourself look silly.

Workplace analogies are not too helpful to your opinion.

First, you absolutely can "just quit your job" when you're not under any contract, and of course as for "walking into another one..." it's a bit different when your former 'employer' (who you never had any agreement with) agrees to transfer your rights to the other firm.

Second, there aren't too many industries in which a cartel of franchises are granted a monopoly over a labour market. Professional sports leagues are rare in this regard and analogies about "if I did this at my job" break down pretty quick.

Third, these rules are made by the OHL and obviously they have an interest in retaining the best talent whether it benefits smaller franchises with poor reputations or not.

Fourth, these players are minors making well under minimum wage. You can't just do that in an ordinary workplace, either.

My view is that, whether I want the Peterborough Petes to succeed or not, the labour practices in hockey are generally tilted in the extreme towards the employer (and only becomes lucrative for a tiny fraction of players, years after being selected in a CHL draft). It might hurt the team I cheer for, but I don't begrudge them at all trying to exercise what little control they do have in developing their career in a way that serves their own interests and future development.

Section7fan

Feb 12, 2018
Workplace analogies are not too helpful to your opinion.

First, you absolutely can "just quit your job" when you're not under any contract, and of course as for "walking into another one..." it's a bit different when your former 'employer' (who you never had any agreement with) agrees to transfer your rights to the other firm.

Second, there aren't too many industries in which a cartel of franchises are granted a monopoly over a labour market. Professional sports leagues are rare in this regard and analogies about "if I did this at my job" break down pretty quick.

Third, these rules are made by the OHL and obviously they have an interest in retaining the best talent whether it benefits smaller franchises with poor reputations or not.

Fourth, these players are minors making well under minimum wage. You can't just do that in an ordinary workplace, either.

My view is that, whether I want the Peterborough Petes to succeed or not, the labour practices in hockey are generally tilted in the extreme towards the employer (and only becomes lucrative for a tiny fraction of players, years after being selected in a CHL draft). It might hurt the team I cheer for, but I don't begrudge them at all trying to exercise what little control they do have in developing their career in a way that serves their own interests and future development.

First off, I didn’t start them actually, if you actually took time to read further back (you really should because you wasted your and my time writing/reading your post).

Someone else implied that you can just quit your job and go walk into whatever job you want and I’m sorry but life isn’t exactly that easy. Say I work at a bank, I can’t just necessarily just walk out of the bank and walk into a police station and be a police officer without going through the process.

I don’t believe the OHL is considered a professional hockey league and they failed to get workers rights in the courts so it is not a ‘workplace’ and they don’t have any workers right and therefore there is no obligation for teams to pay them minimum wage.

All players have the right to not report and go a different route if they see fit, but they do not have the right to pick their own OHL team. The OHL has this thing called a DRAFT and they have it for a reason. Follow the rules or go somewhere else.

OU812

Sep 11, 2017
Personally, I don’t think we should even care what someone chooses to do. That said, also feel the hype is over done. Saw nothing impressive at the Jr A camp to say otherwise.
Sometimes things like this will bite them in the butt over time, unless they are the second coming of the Great One!

Last edited:

R0bert0 Lu0ng0

Nov 19, 2007
Section7, fair enough. I didn’t say you brought up the workplace thing and you’re right that an OHL team is very different than that (personally that makes me even more sympathetic to the players using whatever leverage they have).

Still, I don’t see the point in complaining about the individual players. They are playing by the rules, as is everyone else. Complain about the rules, or complain that the Pete’s should sit on Cuylle (or that they shouldn’t have wasted their pick!).

As an aside, I went back and read that Barrie article and it seems a bit rich to me to compare guys like McDavid and Crosby (who were projected as NHL franchise players at 16) not complaining about their junior draft selection to players whose futures aren’t anywhere near as certain.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Perfetti reported to SAG camp... looks like we may be the only team unable to convince their first round pick to report this season.

WillardJFredricks

May 7, 2004
Nice Memorial Cup field this year. At least some different teams than the usual suspects. I think Hamilton has a good shot at it.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Petes prospect Daniel Panetta is playing in the RBC Cup final today on TSN. He is currently committed to Colgate University.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad