Peterborough Petes 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Good day Petes fans. Anybody heard if Cuylle only has certain teams he will go to if he doesn't report or is it anywhere but Peterborough. Reason I ask is Ottawa has picks galore to offer. By the way it sucks for you guys, I still see the Petes as an historical franchise,too bad its come to this. Maybe you shouldn't have picked him but okn the other hand if he was the BPA i get it. 4 yrs ago Mcleod said would not report to Ottawa, they did not call his bluff and picked Barron...mistake!

HockeyShot

Jun 6, 2018
Pete Fans will be very disappointed..... However, after announcing his commitment to Penn State yesterday, Cuylle is going to announce signing up with Dubuque Fighting Saints of USHL pretty soon.. What a steal for Saints!!

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Pete Fans will be very disappointed..... However, after announcing his commitment to Penn State yesterday, Cuylle is going to announce signing up with Dubuque Fighting Saints of USHL pretty soon.. What a steal for Saints!!

If this is the case... Petes are f*cked. :help:

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
If this is the case... Petes are f*cked. :help:

i dont get what they were attempting to do. its not like he ghosted them after the draft, they had a pr release ready to put out the moment they drafted him, so they knew he wouldnt come.

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
i dont get what they were attempting to do. its not like he ghosted them after the draft, they had a pr release ready to put out the moment they drafted him, so they knew he wouldnt come.
Perfetti could due the same thing theoretically to Saginaw? If he doesn't go to Saginaw or traded for picks (Oshawa) has been discussed. Sucks to lose the picks.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Perfetti could due the same thing theoretically to Saginaw? If he doesn't go to Saginaw or traded for picks (Oshawa) has been discussed. Sucks to lose the picks.

saginaw seemed to have an end game in trading him to oshawa, there was some strategy behind what saginaw did it appears. im not sure that was the case with peterborough, i dont know what there plan was

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
saginaw seemed to have an end game in trading him to oshawa, there was some strategy behind what saginaw did it appears. im not sure that was the case with peterborough, i dont know what there plan was

I think the plan was always to try to sell him on Peterborough and convince him to sign eventually or trade him for a ransom (Which I think will still happen). But if he truly is going USHL than NCAA now, maybe he was a little ticked off at the news articles and fans telling him to shove it and and to sit a year, so he took his game elsewhere to prove a point to management. Remember, if Peterborough wants their comp pick next year they have to declare him defective and give up his rights making him draft eligible next season. Meaning he could be suiting up for another club just over a year from now, unless the Petes just eat the pick long term.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
I think the plan was always to try to sell him on Peterborough and convince him to sign eventually or trade him for a ransom (Which I think will still happen). But if he truly is going USHL than NCAA now, maybe he was a little ticked off at the news articles and fans telling him to shove it and and to sit a year, so he took his game elsewhere to prove a point to management. Remember, if Peterborough wants their comp pick next year they have to declare him defective and give up his rights making him draft eligible next season. Meaning he could be suiting up for another club just over a year from now, unless the Petes just eat the pick long term.

Like you said... I still imagine he gets dealt come August when camps open up... I just can't see Oke sitting on an asset like that.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017

they wont just release a top 3 pick, they'll trade him even if its for a conditional 15th that turns into picks, like what barrie did with tortora.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Like you said... I still imagine he gets dealt come August when camps open up... I just can't see Oke sitting on an asset like that.

was there any report about tolni not wanting to go to peterborough? he may be just as good from the little i saw at the ohl cup.

plus, how many drafts is there now where there are reporting issues with the petes under the current management? somethings gotta give.

Petes1

Oct 26, 2002
Tortora still got traded despite USNTDP and Boston College commitments, so hopefully a deal will still be made with Cuylle. edit - I missed OHL4Life mentioning this above already.

Oke needs to make moves to make the Petes a competitive team next year. Getting the compensation pick for Cuylle doesn't really benefit the Petes if they end up repeating this situation next year with a bunch of kids not wanting to come here.

I get that the GM of the Petes is at a disadvantage for various reasons, but if after 5 years you still haven't made any progress in making Peterborough a place players want to come to, then it's time to bring someone else in to be GM who will approach things differently and have different ideas to try and get this team back on track.

On a side note, Verner and Walser took part in the Tim Hortons Camp Day thing today with other Petes staff members and players. Their contracts don't expire until the end of the month, so maybe it doesn't mean anything, but it would be odd to have them take part in team events if you weren't planning on bringing them back.

ETA 2000 Fan

Apr 16, 2015
was there any report about tolni not wanting to go to peterborough? he may be just as good from the little i saw at the ohl cup.

Assuming you're talking about Cameron Tolnai; he has an Ottawa connection as his dad grew up there and grandparents taught at Ottawa U.

HockeyShot

Jun 6, 2018
There are good chances that Chicago Steel fans may see Perfetti and O'Rourke continue their playing years together in Juniors.... their Main Camp coming soon under new coach and GM...
Wondering why would any team make a 1st round pick without being 100% sure about player commitment to report?

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
There are good chances that Chicago Steel fans may see Perfetti and O'Rourke continue their playing years together in Juniors.... their Main Camp coming soon under new coach and GM...
Wondering why would any team make a 1st round pick without being 100% sure about player commitment to report?

O’rourke was wearing soo gear at the gold cup, you generally don’t do that unless your committed

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Assuming you're talking about Cameron Tolnai; he has an Ottawa connection as his dad grew up there and grandparents taught at Ottawa U.

That’s fine but that’s not really what I asked. I was wondering if there were reports about him not reporting to Peterborough, not what connections he has.

I only saw both play a handful of games and not a scout, but I thought tolnai was better. if tolnai would report why not just take him, at worse he’s in the same group as cuylle

ETA 2000 Fan

Apr 16, 2015
That’s fine but that’s not really what I asked. I was wondering if there were reports about him not reporting to Peterborough, not what connections he has.

I only saw both play a handful of games and not a scout, but I thought tolnai was better. if tolnai would report why not just take him, at worse he’s in the same group as cuylle

My point was Tolnai to Ottawa was a done deal so why look for reports about not reporting? Peterborough is a tough enough sell to a high-end 15 year old. Certain programs can go a long way down a list before getting a, "Yes, I'll report.", and Oke obviously didn't go that route.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
My point was Tolnai to Ottawa was a done deal so why look for reports about not reporting? Peterborough is a tough enough sell to a high-end 15 year old. Certain programs can go a long way down a list before getting a, "Yes, I'll report.", and Oke obviously didn't go that route.

I’m well aware how it works, one of my friends works in hockey ops with the spits.im simply asking if it was out there that tolnai would not report, which I didnt thimk was offside. Great aspect of a message board is we’re all allowed to offer opinions or ask whatever questions we like, as long as it doesn’t break the rules.

Trying to work through the process of what other players were open to Peterborough and tolnai was the next forward on the list that fit. I’m sorry if you thought that was offside

MoWanchuk1

Feb 18, 2017
Because certain agencies do it to certain teams year after year it’s a big game no way cuylle goes ncaa or ushl he’ll be traded they are lining up as we speak...

MoWanchuk1

Feb 18, 2017
I’m well aware how it works, one of my friends works in hockey ops with the spits.im simply asking if it was out there that tolnai would not report, which I didnt thimk was offside. Great aspect of a message board is we’re all allowed to offer opinions or ask whatever questions we like, as long as it doesn’t break the rules.

Trying to work through the process of what other players were open to Peterborough and tolnai was the next forward on the list that fit. I’m sorry if you thought that was offside
I’m assuming Petes staff had cuylle rated higher then tolnei...take the best player regardless I like what they did make them do all the ncaa stuff they want don’t back down to the agents or they’ll get trampled forever trade him get better and they will come...but not to take him because he said he won’t come is a move that says to all agencies walk all over us...I applaud Okes decision and Saginaws....he’s an ohl guy no way he’s going ncaa

Reactions: Bra Wavers

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
I’m assuming Petes staff had cuylle rated higher then tolnei...take the best player regardless I like what they did make them do all the ncaa stuff they want don’t back down to the agents or they’ll get trampled forever trade him get better and they will come...but not to take him because he said he won’t come is a move that says to all agencies walk all over us...I applaud Okes decision and Saginaws....he’s an ohl guy no way he’s going ncaa

I agree... and hopefully with a strong season under Wilson we can start to rid ourselves of this negative reputation everyone has about the Petes.

I'm really interested to see what shakes out with the defense this offseason because they almost have to make a trade... I'd assume they will take 7 on the team and have a total of 8 signed...

98* - Osmanski, Timms
99 - Fraser
00 - Chisholm, Babintsev, Beraldo, McNamara
01 - Supryka, O'Toole?
02 - Spearing?, Suda?

Im not positice about O'Toole but I think both Suda and Spearing could play in the OHL next season. Would be nice to have one of them close by in Lindsay with the Muskies.

Petes1

Oct 26, 2002
If Cuylle and agent get what they want, traded, then aren't the Petes still being "walked all over"?

The end result is the same.

SaginawFan

Apr 29, 2017
Maybe just silly rumours, but I heard again the following this morning, not a great source, but did seem to have some good insight into the club.

Busdeker and Grondin to 67's.

Gilmour, Hill, Lamour to Petes.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Maybe just silly rumours, but I heard again the following this morning, not a great source, but did seem to have some good insight into the club.

Busdeker and Grondin to 67's.

Gilmour, Hill, Lamour to Petes.

Thats... interesting. Any idea what would go to Saginaw?

Petes1

Oct 26, 2002
From the Petes perspective why obtain a 19 y.o and a 20 y .o in a rebuild year?

They would likely view Gilmour as a 2 year player, so he fits their window with Gogolev, SDA, Chisholm etc. Improves their OA choices in 2 years.

Hill and Lamour don't make much sense to me though unless Hill is coming in to replace Osamanski/Fraser.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad