Peterborough Petes 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Love the Petes

Mar 5, 2018
Section 7, you seem a little testy. I am not sure their is much differences owning a player and owning the rights of a player. You also state you do not care how much money they spent on their kid to play. If I was a parent spending that type of money, I would want to have some say where my child could excel. Did you use your money to place your kids in a situation they did not like (I do not care whether it was hockey, dance, or piano)?

It is unfortunate that the Canadian kids are the ones with no options. The US players can go through the USDTP or the USHL. They all play that card. The Euros can stay home and actually play pro and use our league anyway that benefits them (eg. Alex Nylander, one year with Missy and then back to Sweden, then to the AHL). We open our league to them. And you complain about the Canadians. They are the only ones whose rights are owned. They are the only ones with few choices and need to make the best of the ones they have. As soon as the Petes put money into proper coaching (more than just Wilson, add Foster and/or Grimes who are proven) and a sense of stability, kids will flock here. Until then they will force trades. You are placing blame on the wrong people.

Reactions: R0bert0 Lu0ng0

Petesfan8

Dec 18, 2017
I know it's way too early to say anything but I think the coaching hire was a huge miss. If Marty Williamson was available, interested and affordable then I think that should have been a no brainer. He would have brought instant credibility and proven success. Pelino was suppose to be some amazing coach from across the pond and we all know how that ended up.

My opinion is let's see what this guy can do. I have a feeling he will be OK. One concern I have is he is not familiar with the league and by keeping Verner which will likely happen will help that situation. As for Williamson I as well would have liked to see him here but we dont know what occured. How much money dd he want? Did his wife want to move to Peterborough?
He is 58 years old, is he really interested in riding the buses again? I think it's unfair to compare Wilson to Pelino when we really dont know.

Ptbomillsy619

Dec 17, 2017
Williamson has had success in th O but has been down coaching Brock why was that? Why did no team pick him up when niagara dropped him? I kinda like the flyer option the board won’t put out the money to get a top notch coach so gamble abit who knows Wilson could be a home run choice

Reactions: Bra Wavers

Naz

Nov 25, 2008
Everywhere
Williamson has had success in th O but has been down coaching Brock why was that? Why did no team pick him up when niagara dropped him? I kinda like the flyer option the board won’t put out the money to get a top notch coach so gamble abit who knows Wilson could be a home run choice
Williamson had health issues.

Reactions: Ptbomillsy619

ETA 2000 Fan

Apr 16, 2015
I believe Williamson was still getting paid for 2 years by Niagara after he left. He had kids in school and minor hockey in St. Catharines so the Brock U gig was a no brainer. No idea how much less a USports coach gets paid compared to CHL. Much shorter season (# of games wise). Still "riding the buses". Maybe Oshawa coaxes him away from Brock?

Reactions: Ptbomillsy619

Section7fan

Feb 12, 2018
My opinion is let's see what this guy can do. I have a feeling he will be OK. One concern I have is he is not familiar with the league and by keeping Verner which will likely happen will help that situation. As for Williamson I as well would have liked to see him here but we dont know what occured. How much money dd he want? Did his wife want to move to Peterborough?
He is 58 years old, is he really interested in riding the buses again? I think it's unfair to compare Wilson to Pelino when we really dont know.
He openly said in the examiner that he was interested in coming here to coach. I'm not necessarily comparing Wilson to Pelino but Pelino had lots of success in Europe like Wilson and it never worked out.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Petes third round pick Jack Bar selected by Fargo in the USHL draft last night.

I honestly cannot even begin to understand the thought process gambling on two top 60 picks in an OHL draft as deep as this past one was... what the hell was Oke thinking? He literally threw away the opportunity to get two impact players for the rebuild. I get why he made the Cuylle pick, but the Bar selection is just straight up dumb.

Reactions: Petes1

MoWanchuk1

Feb 18, 2017
I suspect the Petes couldn't afford him. Wouldn't surprise me if he ends up in Oshawa.

Wilson seems to have had success in the DEL, so hopefully it can translate here. I'm glad he'll have a good chunk of time to get things ready before Training Camp starts. In the article he mentioned he likes a quick transition game. I sure hope he likes putting a defensive system in place, too, because that has been missing here.
Oh yeah they need a defensive system that hasn’t been there for about 8 yrs!!! Very good point WillyD!

Section7fan

Feb 12, 2018
Section 7, you seem a little testy. I am not sure their is much differences owning a player and owning the rights of a player. You also state you do not care how much money they spent on their kid to play. If I was a parent spending that type of money, I would want to have some say where my child could excel. Did you use your money to place your kids in a situation they did not like (I do not care whether it was hockey, dance, or piano)?

It is unfortunate that the Canadian kids are the ones with no options. The US players can go through the USDTP or the USHL. They all play that card. The Euros can stay home and actually play pro and use our league anyway that benefits them (eg. Alex Nylander, one year with Missy and then back to Sweden, then to the AHL). We open our league to them. And you complain about the Canadians. They are the only ones whose rights are owned. They are the only ones with few choices and need to make the best of the ones they have. As soon as the Petes put money into proper coaching (more than just Wilson, add Foster and/or Grimes who are proven) and a sense of stability, kids will flock here. Until then they will force trades. You are placing blame on the wrong people.

I’m pretty sure Canadians can go down to the states and pick the school they go to, just like the kids in the states. They also have the opportunity to play in the USHL... Players from the US and Europe both have to enter the OHL/CHL draft and have their right own by a team, don’t they? There’s lots of different options for Canadian players but they have to enter a draft to play in the CHL just like the rest of the players in the world.

If my kids wanted and had the chance to play in the O then I would have them honour the rules and if they wanted to choose their destination then they would have to choose a route that would allow that.

Please tell me how Canadians have their hands tied with no options because I have no idea what you’re talking about and I don’t think you do either lol.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Will Cuylle was selected by Dubuque today in Phase 2 of the USHL draft.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Will Cuylle was selected by Dubuque today in Phase 2 of the USHL draft.
He could go there, but his parents would have about 5 hours to drive to the closest USHL team in Youngstown, Ohio or about 5.5 hours to Plymouth, Mi.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
I don’t see this as anything of note. My son has been invited to their main camp and he is undrafted.

I don't think Cuylle goes there. But I still don't expect him to wear a Petes uniform either. I bet he ends up in Windsor or Niagara. Just a hunch.

icepups

Jul 11, 2014
I don't think Cuylle goes there. But I still don't expect him to wear a Petes uniform either. I bet he ends up in Windsor or Niagara. Just a hunch.

Can’t understand why you think he would end up in Niagara. No track record of trading for defected players. Niagara normally trades away defected players. They certainly don’t have the picks to spend on a first year player in a potential go for it season

Petes1

Oct 26, 2002
If he'll go to Saginaw, they make a lot of sense. They have the picks to do it right now, but will be in a better position then anyone after they deal Perfetti.

Saginaw ends up with a 1st round pick in Cuylle, plus the compensation for losing Perfetti.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Can’t understand why you think he would end up in Niagara. No track record of trading for defected players. Niagara normally trades away defected players. They certainly don’t have the picks to spend on a first year player in a potential go for it season

Didn't realize you guys were going to be contenders next season.. why did your GM waste so many assets this year on Miletic then? Lol.

Anyways, maybe a team like London, Missy or North Bay? I dunno who will really be in the mix for Cuylle.

Reactions: Generalsupdates

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
If he'll go to Saginaw, they make a lot of sense. They have the picks to do it right now, but will be in a better position then anyone after they deal Perfetti.

Saginaw ends up with a 1st round pick in Cuylle, plus the compensation for losing Perfetti.

That would be a cool first. But, Saginaw traded away a 2nd prior to the draft and drafted Purfetti knowing he would not report because they could start the season with >70% 17 & 18 yr olds; plus, 2 (2018 2nds) & import; and, want to use excess picks on 19 & 20 yr olds

Last edited:

Petes

Jun 23, 2014

If he would go to Saginaw he might as well just sign here... lol

Petes1

Oct 26, 2002
That would be a cool first. But, Saginaw traded away a 2nd prior to the draft and drafted Purfetti knowing he would not report because they could start the season with >70% 17 & 18 yr olds; plus, 2 (2018 2nds) & import; and, want to use excess picks on 19 & 20 yr olds

Saginaw acquired a 2nd prior to the draft, not traded one away.

If Saginaw basically flipped the picks from a Perfetti trade for Cuylle, they will still have 7 2nd round picks (and up to 7 3rd picks) in the next 3 drafts, plus all of their 2nds after that.

Jenkins, Giroux, Goldowski, Grondin, Porco are all going to be there for at least the next 2 years, Cuylle adds another high end forward to that group. At this point, I doubt Saginaw plans on waiting to play the rental game at the deadline (without knowing how there season is going to go) as opposed to adding a top young player for the next 4 years. They can afford to do both if they wanted too.

If he would go to Saginaw he might as well just sign here... lol

I don't disagree, but I don't know the real reason players don't want to come here. Saginaw's had better luck getting guys to come then we have (everyone has). If he's looking to go to Penn State, or at least threatening too, playing in the States doesn't seem to be a problem.

I imagine the Petes would prefer to move him to a Western Conference team. Kitchener and SSM don't really have the picks to do it, London has likely committed to their 4 16 year olds. If he really wants to play in the OHL, he might have to expand the list of teams he's willing to go to.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Saginaw acquired a 2nd prior to the draft, not traded one away.

If Saginaw basically flipped the picks from a Perfetti trade for Cuylle, they will still have 7 2nd round picks (and up to 7 3rd picks) in the next 3 drafts, plus all of their 2nds after that.

Jenkins, Giroux, Goldowski, Grondin, Porco are all going to be there for at least the next 2 years, Cuylle adds another high end forward to that group. At this point, I doubt Saginaw plans on waiting to play the rental game at the deadline (without knowing how there season is going to go) as opposed to adding a top young player for the next 4 years. They can afford to do both if they wanted too.

I don't disagree, but I don't know the real reason players don't want to come here. Saginaw's had better luck getting guys to come then we have (everyone has). If he's looking to go to Penn State, or at least threatening too, playing in the States doesn't seem to be a problem.

I imagine the Petes would prefer to move him to a Western Conference team. Kitchener and SSM don't really have the picks to do it, London has likely committed to their 4 16 year olds. If he really wants to play in the OHL, he might have to expand the list of teams he's willing to go to.

My mistake ... traded away 3rd pick ‘18 with others for ‘21 2nd. They had traded ‘18 2nd plus for Webb at the deadline.
I’m pretty sure Saginaw won’t wait to upgrade OA; they likely do it in the summer. With 14 players 17 & 18 years old, 2(‘18) 2nds, trading away ‘18 2nd, 3rd & 7th at deadline and prior to the draft, an import pick; and, ‘re-tooling’ for a 1/2 dozen seasons, I doubt Saginaw has any interest in trading for a 16 year old.

Last edited:

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
My mistake ... traded a 3rd pick ‘18 with others for ‘21 2nd.
I’m pretty sure Saginaw won’t wait to upgrade OA; they likely do it in the summer. With 14 players 17 & 18 years old, 2(‘18) 2nds, import; and, ‘re-tooling’ for a 1/2 dozen seasons, I doubt Saginaw has any interest in trading for a 16 year old.

To be fair before the draft I think Saginaw planned on taking Cuylle. Once it was known Peterborough was going to take him ahead of them, I think Saginaw went to plan B to take Perfetti and move him for picks. Whether or not that still means Saginaw is willing to move picks for him I dont know. But persoanlly as a Saginaw fan I would love to add Cuylle. I think he is a big upgrade over some other potential returning players. I would flip the Perfetti picks for him in a heartbeat.

Reactions: Finster8

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Pretty sure Saginaw selecting Purfetti & flipping him to Oshawa was decided eve of draft.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
To be fair before the draft I think Saginaw planned on taking Cuylle. Once it was known Peterborough was going to take him ahead of them, I think Saginaw went to plan B to take Perfetti and move him for picks. Whether or not that still means Saginaw is willing to move picks for him I dont know. But persoanlly as a Saginaw fan I would love to add Cuylle. I think he is a big upgrade over some other potential returning players. I would flip the Perfetti picks for him in a heartbeat.

If Sag ends up with Cuylle and a comp pick for Perfetti out of this draft... than their GM is brilliant.

Love the Petes

Mar 5, 2018
The facts Section7.

The Russians are getting around our import rule by coming here in MM to play (eg. SDA, Gogolev, Koro, and many more). Most even question their real age?

Why can Euros play in the AHL at 19 and Canadians must be either in the NHL or remain in the CHL. They should be given the same rights as the Euros but are not.

The USHL restrict imports (as Canadians we are imports). The CHL has no restrictions for US kids.

The US College/University system is getting harder and harder for our kids to get into. Check their rosters and see how many are Americans (almost all Americans). Scholarships are rarely full rides and parents who tell you this are probably lying to you. There are exceptions.

I did not make these facts up, I researched them. The truth is, I would rather see the CHL as a place for only Canadians and a restricted number of Americans like they do to us. I want absolutely no Euros. Russians only play big for their own country. I want more local kids like DeNoble, McNamara, etc.

The Cuylie and Bar kid are exercising their limited rights. It comes down to making Peterborough a place where kids want to play. A solid organization will draw kids, this means good coaching and management. We let two good coaches go in Grimes and Foster, that is my point. So next time instead of starting a sentence with "I think", research the facts and then you can start with "I know". Canadian's have limited options.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
The facts Section7.

The Russians are getting around our import rule by coming here in MM to play (eg. SDA, Gogolev, Koro, and many more). Most even question their real age?

Why can Euros play in the AHL at 19 and Canadians must be either in the NHL or remain in the CHL. They should be given the same rights as the Euros but are not.

The USHL restrict imports (as Canadians we are imports). The CHL has no restrictions for US kids.

The US College/University system is getting harder and harder for our kids to get into. Check their rosters and see how many are Americans (almost all Americans). Scholarships are rarely full rides and parents who tell you this are probably lying to you. There are exceptions.

I did not make these facts up, I researched them. The truth is, I would rather see the CHL as a place for only Canadians and a restricted number of Americans like they do to us. I want absolutely no Euros. Russians only play big for their own country. I want more local kids like DeNoble, McNamara, etc.

The Cuylie and Bar kid are exercising their limited rights. It comes down to making Peterborough a place where kids want to play. A solid organization will draw kids, this means good coaching and management. We let two good coaches go in Grimes and Foster, that is my point. So next time instead of starting a sentence with "I think", research the facts and then you can start with "I know". Canadian's have limited options.

Stick to getting paid put in your place by Ron MacLean on Saturday nights

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad