Peterborough Petes 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Right or wrong this article should never have been posted in the newspaper, if there ever was a chance of him showing up now this article did alot of damage for him not to. Just my opinion.
My opinion is just the opposite. Great article. This kid isn’t reporting regardless if this article was posted or not. I do not mind these writers calling out some of these primadona’s.

Section7fan

Feb 12, 2018
They (players-parents-agents) are playing by the rules. They can choose not to report; they don't choose where to play. Yes, many choose to play in London but they can't go directly there like you can choose a school.

As long as there's a compensatory pick rule, teams will go for that shot in the dark and know there's a backup if they fail to sign a player.

How can't they just go to London? What if London is the only team they will report to? You really think London won't pony up a few second round picks to get 2-4 years from a top five talent?

The rule should be that you play for the team that drafts you or you don't play in the OHL. I don't care if that means the OHL misses out on some brat with his head up his butt.

Go back to whatever team your from and smell the beautiful roses around your team. Cheer for a team that has this issue and then come chime in.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
The newspaper article by Don Barrie is a non issue. If it was written by Mike Davies I would give it more credibility.

Do you think Will and his parents know who Mike Davies and Don Barrie are? No.

They just see an article in the Peterborough Examiner slamming them.... article was dumb. All Don Barrie does is complain, examiner would be better off without him.

Section7fan

Feb 12, 2018
Do you think Will and his parents know who Mike Davies and Don Barrie are? No.

They just see an article in the Peterborough Examiner slamming them.... article was dumb. All Don Barrie does is complain, examiner would be better off without him.

I don't disagree with the article but the timing is very poor. Maybe you print this article after a trade or after he doesn't report to camp.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
He isn't coming anyways. He will be traded I'm hearing. Too bad it sounds like the 03 draft is going to be worse than the 01's...

Love the Petes

Mar 5, 2018
Nice thing about living in Canada is we have freedoms Section 7. If you do not like the situation, try to change it. He asked the Petes not to draft him and they did. If you do not like your job you can change it. The kid did not like the situation Peterborough had to offer and is asking to opt out. He is 16 and nobody can force him to do what he does not want to. I am not sure how anyone thinks that somebody owns somebody. There is a reason that players do not want to report to Peterborough is obvious. Years of terrible teams due to coaching, drafting, and bad decisions. Change the culture, which does not happen over night. Great example, successful in 2016/17 and let the two best coaches leave.

The Petes finally hired a coach that sounds like he can help. Hopefully they can convince Foster or Grimes (or both) to come back to make for a great coaching staff. We will see if the Petes are learning from their mistakes.

Reactions: R0bert0 Lu0ng0

cub

Apr 11, 2012
thats a name from the past, I remember him playing for the Wolves, a fan favourite and was good guy. Wish him all the best to him and the team.

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
Nice thing about living in Canada is we have freedoms Section 7. If you do not like the situation, try to change it. He asked the Petes not to draft him and they did. If you do not like your job you can change it. The kid did not like the situation Peterborough had to offer and is asking to opt out. He is 16 and nobody can force him to do what he does not want to. I am not sure how anyone thinks that somebody owns somebody. There is a reason that players do not want to report to Peterborough is obvious. Years of terrible teams due to coaching, drafting, and bad decisions. Change the culture, which does not happen over night. Great example, successful in 2016/17 and let the two best coaches leave.

The Petes finally hired a coach that sounds like he can help. Hopefully they can convince Foster or Grimes (or both) to come back to make for a great coaching staff. We will see if the Petes are learning from their mistakes.

Players should not be able to dictate were they play. There is a draft for a reason. The rule should be if you will not commit to playing for the team that drafts you, you are not eligible for the draft. There may be a few players the league will miss out on, but on the whole the league will be more balanced and competative because certain teams will not have the advantage of getting all the top players.

Love the Petes

Mar 5, 2018
I agree with your point about the OHL trying to be competitive and balanced. The problem is the mismanagement of the Petes. When your parents have invested probably $75000 plus into your career thus far, you do not want it messed up by mismanagement and bad coaching. I remember there was a point that London was the laughing stock of the league. Still hold record for fewest wins. Good management and coaching that was consistent has now turned them into the powerhouse they are. The Petes need to look at Kitchener, a city run team with a history of success as well. Build it and they will come. Unfortunately they still look like that corn field.

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
I agree with your point about the OHL trying to be competitive and balanced. The problem is the mismanagement of the Petes. When your parents have invested probably $75000 plus into your career thus far, you do not want it messed up by mismanagement and bad coaching. I remember there was a point that London was the laughing stock of the league. Still hold record for fewest wins. Good management and coaching that was consistent has now turned them into the powerhouse they are. The Petes need to look at Kitchener, a city run team with a history of success as well. Build it and they will come. Unfortunately they still look like that corn field.

Peterborough doesn't have the money/population base to ever be Kitchener or London but SSM is a relevant example to follow.

Reactions: WillardJFredricks

Ptbomillsy619

Dec 17, 2017
I’m excited to see who they bring on the coach with Wilson. Very optimistic in him being the right fit for our team id like foster to come back but right now I can’t see it

Section7fan

Feb 12, 2018

When did I say the Petes own the kid? I'm saying that these kids should have to honour the draft or find another league to play. The OHL is not a league where you pick your destination. I don't care how much these people pay for kids hockey. Follow the rules or go home.

Canada does have freedoms but that doesn't mean you can literally do whatever you want. You can't just quit your job and walk into another one and throw a uniform and start working without going through that companies hiring process.

You should really think the things you say so you don't make yourself look silly.

Reactions: Ptbomillsy619

ETA 2000 Fan

Apr 16, 2015
When your parents have invested probably $75000 plus into your career thus far...

No disrespect intended, and you make a very good point, but $75Gs barely covers registration from Novice to Minor-Midget (in the G, cheaper in most OMHA or Alliance centres). Add to that power skating, skills instruction, gym/trainer fees, equipment plus travel/tournament costs, plus, plus, plus, and you're in the $200Gs neighbourhood.

viewfromabove

Nov 29, 2017
I’m excited to see who they bring on the coach with Wilson. Very optimistic in him being the right fit for our team id like foster to come back but right now I can’t see it
If they don’t bring Foster or Grimes or both back it would be a real shame. Both such good coaches I can’t see a new coach not wanting to hire his own guys. Fingers crossed. Bring back Foster! The kids deserve it.

Reactions: Ptbomillsy619

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
If they don’t bring Foster or Grimes or both back it would be a real shame. Both such good coaches I can’t see a new coach not wanting to hire his own guys. Fingers crossed. Bring back Foster! The kids deserve it.

Foster is not coming to Peterborough as just an assistant coach. Coaches don't leave teams as a 'lateral' move... it's usually only if they're upgrading on their current position.

Section7fan

Feb 12, 2018
I know it's way too early to say anything but I think the coaching hire was a huge miss. If Marty Williamson was available, interested and affordable then I think that should have been a no brainer. He would have brought instant credibility and proven success. Pelino was suppose to be some amazing coach from across the pond and we all know how that ended up.

Reactions: the dog

Ptbomillsy619

Dec 17, 2017
Foster is not coming to Peterborough as just an assistant coach. Coaches don't leave teams as a 'lateral' move... it's usually only if they're upgrading on their current position.

I think foster will have a future as a head coach. But what has he done to deserve it already? He’s been an assistant for one year and a bench coach before that Coming back would be a good stepping stone in his career.

Grimes won’t be back he does deserve a head coaching job it’s only a matter of time before he gets his shot

Reactions: Petesfan8

WillardJFredricks

May 7, 2004
I know it's way too early to say anything but I think the coaching hire was a huge miss. If Marty Williamson was available, interested and affordable then I think that should have been a no brainer. He would have brought instant credibility and proven success. Pelino was suppose to be some amazing coach from across the pond and we all know how that ended up.

I suspect the Petes couldn't afford him. Wouldn't surprise me if he ends up in Oshawa.

Wilson seems to have had success in the DEL, so hopefully it can translate here. I'm glad he'll have a good chunk of time to get things ready before Training Camp starts. In the article he mentioned he likes a quick transition game. I sure hope he likes putting a defensive system in place, too, because that has been missing here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad