Peterborough Petes 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duke Guy

Sep 10, 2013
Petes are losing a third of their team (7 players) but should be able to compete in the East again.

Duke Guy

Sep 10, 2013
Gone: Jenkins, Prophet and Lorentz;

4 of the following will be gone:

Black
Coyle
Denoble
Korostelev
Rollo
Smith
Spencer

3 + 4 = 7.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Gone: Jenkins, Prophet and Lorentz;

4 of the following will be gone:

Black
Coyle
Denoble
Korostelev
Rollo
Smith
Spencer

3 + 4 = 7.

Fair enough. Didn't realize it was that many.... I imagine DeNoble and Black are locks. Than they will choose between Rollo and Coyle.

This is how I see things playing out leading into next season....

Out:

Rollo - C
Korostelev* - RW
Spencer* - D
Smith - G
Jenkins - D
Prophet - D
Lorentz - C/LW
* - Slight chance of return

In:

Jones - G
McNamara - D
Denault - RW
Robertson - C
Conley - C/LW
Supryka - D
Euro Pick - D

MoWanchuk1

Feb 18, 2017
Fair enough. Didn't realize it was that many.... I imagine DeNoble and Black are locks. Than they will choose between Rollo and Coyle.

This is how I see things playing out leading into next season....

Out:

Rollo - C
Korostelev* - RW
Spencer* - D
Smith - G
Jenkins - D
Prophet - D
Lorentz - C/LW
* - Slight chance of return

In:

Jones - G
McNamara - D
Denault - RW
Robertson - C
Conley - C/LW
Supryka - D
Euro Pick - D

I think the Beraldo dman will have a chance and perhaps a surprise from bobby dow who doesnt seem keen on ncaa also watch for US pick Davis Pennington from belle tire who a buddy of mine says is a dynamite skater and expects him to play next year for Petes..hopefully US forward Paquette 6-2 200 at least comes to camp to take a look..with the best goalie tandem in the OHL next year Wells and Jones they can do some more damage !!! Hopefully our HC will continue to play our young guys as Rob Snoek says adn perhaps adopt some new strategies....pleeeeeeeeeeese

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
I think the Beraldo dman will have a chance and perhaps a surprise from bobby dow who doesnt seem keen on ncaa also watch for US pick Davis Pennington from belle tire who a buddy of mine says is a dynamite skater and expects him to play next year for Petes..hopefully US forward Paquette 6-2 200 at least comes to camp to take a look..with the best goalie tandem in the OHL next year Wells and Jones they can do some more damage !!! Hopefully our HC will continue to play our young guys as Rob Snoek says adn perhaps adopt some new strategies....pleeeeeeeeeeese

Dow would be nice.

As for Pennington.... you'd have to think he will have a ton of USHL options for next season. I hope he comes to rookie camp atleast since he is uncommitted.

I imagine if your signing Beraldo you don't get Pennington. It'll be either one or the other. Also, either of those two likely means Supryka is signed and sent to Wellington (OJHL). If he isn't okay with that, you have to sign him and risk losing the other two.

Petes1

Oct 26, 2002
Just a guess, but I don't think Oke plans on having a 16 year old on his blueline next year, or he would have drafted one in the 1st round.

A 1st round pick is ready to step in, the 60th pick most likely isn't. Considering defence is probably the biggest need/concern this off-season and they passed in the 1st round to help address that, it leads me to believe Oke has plans to possibly bring someone in whose a little more experienced.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Just a guess, but I don't think Oke plans on having a 16 year old on his blueline next year, or he would have drafted one in the 1st round.

A 1st round pick is ready to step in, the 60th pick most likely isn't. Considering defence is probably the biggest need/concern this off-season and they passed in the 1st round to help address that, it leads me to believe Oke has plans to possibly bring someone in whose a little more experienced.

That certainly could be the case... will be interesting if that is a euro selection, trade or Beraldo. I would say even Cairns or Crotty but we are the Petes after all.... lets not get to ahead of ourselves.

Looks like rookie camp is May 20-21.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
http://www.thepeterboroughexaminer....ons-have-risen-for-the-petes-says-gm-mike-oke

Oke mentions Beraldo, MacDonald, Robertson, Supryka and Townend as guys who could fill void of veterans leaving. (On top of guys already signed McNamara, Denault and Jones)

He also mentions here he would ideally like to take a defenseman in the import draft but won't pass up a great defender just to select a decent forward.

He also says he anticipates that both Korostelev and Spencer will turn pro but would welcome them back if it played out that way. (Obviously)

ptbopete

Oct 4, 2009
Peterborough, ON
Watching Oiler vs Ducks tonite and it's former Petes Nick Ritchie against Zack Kassian. Two similar players - huge and skilled. Nice to see Austin Watson earlier today too with Nashville.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Petes prospects Davis Pennington and Tyler Paquette were both selected yesterday in the USHL's Phase 1 draft (2001 born only). Nick Robertson was not selected which is a great sign.

So far, only Petes connection to today's Phase 2 of the USHL draft is Bobby Dow who was taken in round 3. He is committed to school in 2018-2019.

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
The Petes are using some of the added financial support from the city to strengthen the business operations team by adding three new employees.

http://www.thepeterboroughexaminer.com/2017/05/06/expanded-business-office-aims-to-draw-more-fan-interest-sponsors-for-the-ohls-peterborough-petes

The timing seems good to parlay their success on the ice this season plus the restructured deal with the city to increase team support, in the form of attendance.

I, for one, look forward to seeing the changes that are made. The tough part for all of the business team is to create an experience that draws in young fans and their parents and avoid alienating the older fans (many long time season ticket holders) at the same time. I wish them luck.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Petes prospects Cameron Supryka (3rd Round, LD) and Andrew Horsley (6th Round, LW) representing OMHA Black will play for first place today at 12:30 at OHL Gold Cup.

Jagger O'Toole (5th Round, RD) and the Alliance won this morning to finish in 3rd.

NV

Aug 22, 2003
The Petes are using some of the added financial support from the city to strengthen the business operations team by adding three new employees.

http://www.thepeterboroughexaminer.com/2017/05/06/expanded-business-office-aims-to-draw-more-fan-interest-sponsors-for-the-ohls-peterborough-petes

The timing seems good to parlay their success on the ice this season plus the restructured deal with the city to increase team support, in the form of attendance.

Are we assuming these roles are in place of having an Assistant GM?

MoWanchuk1

Feb 18, 2017
Petes prospects Cameron Supryka (3rd Round, LD) and Andrew Horsley (6th Round, LW) representing OMHA Black will play for first place today at 12:30 at OHL Gold Cup.

Jagger O'Toole (5th Round, RD) and the Alliance won this morning to finish in 3rd.

was in town and caught the some games for these prospects.

O'Toole was ok does everything well not excellent in any one aspect but high ceiling will get better for sure.. hopefully will catch on with a jr a or b team next year or have a major role with major midgets.

Horsley had limited ice during the competition but his big shot was evident when he had time to release. Big body has to show he is willing to work hard every shift to make it to next level not sure where he will end up next year but needs to work on work ethic has all the tools otherwise.

Supryka started off slow but adjusted to the speed and timing and got better every game. Great size very good vision with great skating abilities once he adjusts to the OHL speed he will be a good one!

Panetta has great heart and skill hopefully grows a bit or when fills out will be an effective ohl player for sure.

Richardson was much better than expected for where he was selected good size and skill seemed to grow as tourney went on should compete for a spot in a couple years.

Would have loved to see our 1st pick out there

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
was in town and caught the some games for these prospects.

O'Toole was ok does everything well not excellent in any one aspect but high ceiling will get better for sure.. hopefully will catch on with a jr a or b team next year or have a major role with major midgets.

Horsley had limited ice during the competition but his big shot was evident when he had time to release. Big body has to show he is willing to work hard every shift to make it to next level not sure where he will end up next year but needs to work on work ethic has all the tools otherwise.

Supryka started off slow but adjusted to the speed and timing and got better every game. Great size very good vision with great skating abilities once he adjusts to the OHL speed he will be a good one!

Panetta has great heart and skill hopefully grows a bit or when fills out will be an effective ohl player for sure.

Richardson was much better than expected for where he was selected good size and skill seemed to grow as tourney went on should compete for a spot in a couple years.

Would have loved to see our 1st pick out there

Thanks for this Bubbles, much appreciated!

Zebra

Feb 12, 2017
So HAPPY for Dylan Wells signing with Edmonton !
Congrats to our goalie

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Anyone going to make it down to the PMC this weekend to check out rookie camp?

Kinda lame it's on the long weekend....

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
Anyone going to make it down to the PMC this weekend to check out rookie camp?

Kinda lame it's on the long weekend....

I'm going to be down to check out some of the rookie camp. Team banquet as well.....will be sad to see Lorentz, Jenkins, Prophet and Spencer leave.

Long weekend isn't great but had to schedule around Dean Brody concert May 6th, Boxing card last weekend and the "Thunder from down under" next weekend plus the start of the Lakers lacrosse season.

Oke had his contract extended to the end of 2019-2020, which IMO is deserved. He seems to have turned things around for this team and hopefully the upward trend continues.

MoWanchuk1

Feb 18, 2017
I'm going to be down to check out some of the rookie camp. Team banquet as well.....will be sad to see Lorentz, Jenkins, Prophet and Spencer leave.

Long weekend isn't great but had to schedule around Dean Brody concert May 6th, Boxing card last weekend and the "Thunder from down under" next weekend plus the start of the Lakers lacrosse season.

Oke had his contract extended to the end of 2019-2020, which IMO is deserved. He seems to have turned things around for this team and hopefully the upward trend continues.

Hey Wavers cant make it back home this weekend could you provide some reports on our top picks over the weekend please.....and i agree oke has done a good job with picks and trades deserves the extension...i wasnt convinced with the coaching as everyone is aware of my opinion and clearly the board or oke is in the wait and see approach here too. Lots to like for future here!

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
There's some very interesting names on that training camp roster.... Dobbin, Pennington, Stavrou, Nicholson and Bramwell are all particularly interesting.

Good to see 2016 picks Emon and St.John attending.... usually when a player goes to CISAA it's almost all but a guaruntee they go to school.

Nice to see the signed players taking part such as McNamara, Jones and Denault + Chisholm.

Petes1

Oct 26, 2002
There's some very interesting names on that training camp roster.... Dobbin, Pennington, Stavrou, Nicholson and Bramwell are all particularly interesting.

Justin Paul is another. Played for a bad Milton Icehawks team, but led them in scoring as a 16 year old and was named to the OJHL 2nd all prospects team with Hunter Jones.

Last year the rookie camp game was streamed on the Petes youtube channel, if you cant make it, might be worth checking that out Saturday and Sunday.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Justin Paul is another. Played for a bad Milton Icehawks team, but led them in scoring as a 16 year old and was named to the OJHL 2nd all prospects team with Hunter Jones.

Last year the rookie camp game was streamed on the Petes youtube channel, if you cant make it, might be worth checking that out Saturday and Sunday.

Wow, I missed him... that's quite impressive. I would love this to be the year the Petes hit it big with a free agent signing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad