• Wow
Reactions: Ladyfan

Terrier

Sep 30, 2003
Newton, MA
Visit site

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Electrician is estimating 16k on the house renovation. Seems like double what I expected, but that's how it goes these days. Of course, the lady's parents (the ones spearheading the job) are super unhappy about it and decided to call her at 8am to pass that stress down to her. Then we had the balls to ask that the kids bedrooms get an extra outlet where the beds will be (because their rooms have only 3 outlets each, centered to a wall) and apparently that was the straw that broke the camels back. 16 grand, but a request to add a couple outlets puts everything way over the top.

This is the same electrician I walked the house with recently to go over where I wanted coax and cat 6 and whatnot, and he said to my face that what I was asking was all reasonable. I guess everybody just has different definitions of reasonable.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
We just had training with managers on work comp procedures a month ago. Gave them hard copies of the required forms and also told them where to find it on our intranet.

Today an employee gets injured.

Manager: do we need to fill out a form or something? Where are those?

Me: :skeptic::ha::banghead::banghead::banghead:

It is not rocket science, people!!!

shelbysdad

Nov 21, 2006
Red Hook, NY
Electrician is estimating 16k on the house renovation. Seems like double what I expected, but that's how it goes these days. Of course, the lady's parents (the ones spearheading the job) are super unhappy about it and decided to call her at 8am to pass that stress down to her. Then we had the balls to ask that the kids bedrooms get an extra outlet where the beds will be (because their rooms have only 3 outlets each, centered to a wall) and apparently that was the straw that broke the camels back. 16 grand, but a request to add a couple outlets puts everything way over the top.

This is the same electrician I walked the house with recently to go over where I wanted coax and cat 6 and whatnot, and he said to my face that what I was asking was all reasonable. I guess everybody just has different definitions of reasonable.
Waiting to start getting estimates from the builder about the subs for the Maine house. Hopefully no surprises. With selling here we should be able to end up with a mortgage of 100K or less....hopefully the rates drop

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005

they still use coax? I thought everyone just used wifi now?
its rediculous how expensive crap is now. Adding aditional outlets should be nothing. They will screw you over.
If you want to do it yourself its easy to do. Just remove bottom trim on the wall and cut out the drywall behind it (keep the peice) and you can daisychain from the closest outlet. Replace the section of drywall and trim, then you dont even have to patch or worry about seeing the work you did.
Here is a great vid. This guy does good work

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
its rediculous how expensive crap is now. Adding aditional outlets should be nothing. They will screw you over.
If you want to do it yourself its easy to do. Just remove bottom trim on the wall and cut out the drywall behind it (keep the peice) and you can daisychain from the closest outlet. Replace the section of drywall and trim, then you dont even have to patch or worry about seeing the work you did.

While it is easy I agree, if you ever have a fire your insurance company will tell you to go pound sand.
Happened to a buddy of mine in Arlington. He ended up losing the house.

Reactions: AngryMilkcrates

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Here is a great vid. This guy does good work

Cable internet still comes into the router through coax

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
My insurance agent just emailed me and said Nationwide is upping my car insurance by $669 for the year on the upcoming renewal. :oops::help: I can't imagine what it would be if I paid that ticket from February and had it go on my record.

This is crazy. Time to shop around.

Ugggggghhhhh.

• Wow
Reactions: AngryMilkcrates

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Waiting to start getting estimates from the builder about the subs for the Maine house. Hopefully no surprises. With selling here we should be able to end up with a mortgage of 100K or less....hopefully the rates drop
I think I'm gonna come in around 400-415k for a mortgage, and expect to get penetrated raw on the rate. My better half loves to remind me that houses AND rates were half when she wanted to start looking, but I wasn't ready then. We each own a 2 family house right now, and with them being 40 miles apart I'm dreading the whole landlord thing. It should definitely ease the burden of a stupid high mortgage and interest rate though.

My insurance agent just emailed me and said Nationwide is upping my car insurance by $669 for the year on the upcoming renewal. :oops::help: I can't imagine what it would be if I paid that ticket from February and had it go on my record.

This is crazy. Time to shop around.

Ugggggghhhhh.
Mine went up about the same amount last year! I called and complained and they cut the hike in half. I have not looked yet for this year. I'm not ready.

shelbysdad

Nov 21, 2006
Red Hook, NY
I think I'm gonna come in around 400-415k for a mortgage, and expect to get penetrated raw on the rate. My better half loves to remind me that houses AND rates were half when she wanted to start looking, but I wasn't ready then. We each own a 2 family house right now, and with them being 40 miles apart I'm dreading the whole landlord thing. It should definitely ease the burden of a stupid high mortgage and interest rate though.

Mine went up about the same amount last year! I called and complained and they cut the hike in half. I have not looked yet for this year. I'm not ready.
Builder rough estimate was 400-425 for the house...septic is in place, driveway base in

Attachments

• KIMG0106.JPG
    KIMG0106.JPG
    107.3 KB · Views: 2
  • KIMG0107.JPG
    KIMG0107.JPG
    102.5 KB · Views: 2
  • KIMG0107~2.JPG
    KIMG0107~2.JPG
    97.3 KB · Views: 2

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
There was a really bad wreck in front of my apartments this morning. At first they said it was a head on collision but it looks like it was just a one car accident. Went off the road, hit a concrete pillar underneath an overpass and the car burst into flames. A lot of people stopped to try to help but they couldn't get the driver out. :( No idea what caused it, if it was a medical issue or what. This happened after I had already gone to work. Sounds like they have reopened the road now.

You never know what a day will bring.

• Wow
Reactions: BMC

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Builder rough estimate was 400-425 for the house...septic is in place, driveway base in
That is gorgeous! You must be beyond thrilled so far.

We started with a house full of pee/feces soaked carpets, wall to wall mary jane laboratory type stuff, everything destroyed and barely enough room to walk through the house. All for a purchase price of about 325! Since then the house has been totally cleared out, the first floor, all 1800+ sq ft of it has been skimmed and painted. The carpets were all removed and the wood floors are being refinished this week, the yard was cleared out and graded, basement windows are all replaced, kitchen and bathrooms were gutted, lots of plumbing has been replaced, total rewire of the house, a few windows replaced, all interior doors are going in this week. It's a zoo.

Haven't really even touched the basement yet, but it too was full of weed. It's cleared out and we framed it all out though.

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs

We started with a house full of pee/feces soaked carpets, wall to wall mary jane laboratory type stuff, everything destroyed and barely enough room to walk through the house. All for a purchase price of about 325! Since then the house has been totally cleared out, the first floor, all 1800+ sq ft of it has been skimmed and painted. The carpets were all removed and the wood floors are being refinished this week, the yard was cleared out and graded, basement windows are all replaced, kitchen and bathrooms were gutted, lots of plumbing has been replaced, total rewire of the house, a few windows replaced, all interior doors are going in this week. It's a zoo.

Haven't really even touched the basement yet, but it too was full of weed. It's cleared out and we framed it all out though.
Chuck, your basement’s full of weed?
Jackpot!!

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
It was built specifically for it hahaha. The walls were put up with reflective materials, hydroponic type stuff everywhere, heat lamps hanging on coat hangers. Everything was dried out and nasty though. I only have one pic of a corner, which oddly enough is soon to be my office

View attachment 862417
Id love a hydroponic setup like that, not for weed, but peppers and tomatoes and shit.

I have a small little tabletop one I keep on the windowsill that has arugula, oregano, basil, and some peppers/tomatoes I'm going to transplant once big enough. I'm definitely interested in eventually going for a bigger kratky or dwc system at some point.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Id love a hydroponic setup like that, not for weed, but peppers and tomatoes and shit.

I have a small little tabletop one I keep on the windowsill that has arugula, oregano, basil, and some peppers/tomatoes I'm going to transplant once big enough. I'm definitely interested in eventually going for a bigger kratky or dwc system at some point.
Oh definitely. With the right application and space it would be rad as hell to have for peppers! I offered this up to a few friends but I think it was just too bootleg and too disgusting to try to salvage. I admire the guy for trying, but execution was not the best here.

Reactions: McGarnagle

shelbysdad

Nov 21, 2006
Red Hook, NY

It will all seem more real once they start, even tho we have our builder and our timeframe....

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Finally signed up for electric service and tv/internet in the new place.

I got my new plates yesterday and my license last week. It cost me $200 to register my car thanks to all the transfer fees. On the positive side, I had the receipt showing how much excise tax I paid when I bought the car from the lease so I didn't have to pay extra.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad