Peterborough Petes 2015-16 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Petes are 9th in a 20 team league for goals scored. So I wouldn't consider that high octane. The top 8 teams have a + goal differential, the Petes at 9th are -20. The 10th and 11th teams are also a +.

The Petes have scored the second most even strength goals in the league behind only London. If it wasn't for the god awful power play we would be top five in the league in goals for no doubt.

Duke Guy

Sep 10, 2013
Last year the Petes PK was very bad sitting at 15th in the league. I'm sure they had to make adjustments this season to improve on that yet they are now sitting at 20th. Is there anything specific they can change or is it too late?

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
I think the pk units have to be more aggressive. They sit back too much imo. They sit back in a "T" formation as the other team comes out of their zone with the puck, which makes it too easy for entry into our zone. I'd much rather we set up in a diamond shape in neutral ice, with the top guy applying pressure inside the opposition zone, the outside players anticipating and immediately pressuring the first pass out of their zone. Did you see how much trouble we had with Barrie's aggressive forechecking on the pk? That was a thing of beauty!

ptbopete

Oct 4, 2009
Peterborough, ON
Given the importance of special teams there is a longstanding argument to lop off the heads of the coaching staff for not improving the PP/PK results over the years. However my guess is that Jody Hull simply doesn't prioritize it and instead sticks to the 5 on 5 systems as a priority. And the team simply isn't in a financial posiiton to honour contracts if they let people go.

It's a crime that the Petes haven't improved their power play with the offensive talent they have. This team's overall depth is the best in years but the standings show basically a .500 kind of team.

WillardJFredricks

May 7, 2004
If they had a better coach, the special teams would be better. But we're stuck with Hull. If the GM was good and the coach was good, this would be a year they could make a legit run for the Conference title. But they don't, so we're stuck with a mediocre team that will likely be worse next season.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
I'm curious to see if Barrie intends on resting anybody this week. Maybe we will catch a break and not see Blackwood tonight!

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
Much better game plan, falling behind and then coming back. The charge out to a 3-0 lead against Oshawa didn't work so well! Josh maguire is playing the best hockey he's played in his career. Excited to be making the trip to Mississauga and niagara this weekend. Hoping for a strong finish and some momentum going in to the playoffs

ptbopete

Oct 4, 2009
Peterborough, ON
A good win for the boys last night. Barrie Sat out their 3rd highest scorer and their best goalie (Blackwood)and best defenseman (Andersson) so it wasn't a true representation of their team. Barrie is pretty much set for the 2nd place spot so not fighting for positioning like the Petes are. But the first period looked like more of the same for the Petes - too many pucks going in - too many players open in our end, etc. But the boys brought their game to the 2nd half of this one.

I'm hoping Lorentz find his 5th gear in time for the playoffs and Timleck is sorely missed for his speed and touch around the net. Is he day-to-day?

Lizotte and Stefano are lucky to be on a good team in Barrie. Both might be finished after this year as Stefano is an overage and Lizotte looks disinterested. Little sign of the flash and dash he showed last year with the Petes.

OHLEYE

Oct 17, 2006
What a big win.... Pressure is now on Missy and Ottawa!

Pressure isn't on the Petes? They have two games left and play Missy and Niagara with home ice advantage on the line. They're a point back of Niagara and three points back of 3rd.

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
A good win for the boys last night. Barrie Sat out their 3rd highest scorer and their best goalie (Blackwood)and best defenseman (Andersson) so it wasn't a true representation of their team. Barrie is pretty much set for the 2nd place spot so not fighting for positioning like the Petes are. But the first period looked like more of the same for the Petes - too many pucks going in - too many players open in our end, etc. But the boys brought their game to the 2nd half of this one.

I'm hoping Lorentz find his 5th gear in time for the playoffs and Timleck is sorely missed for his speed and touch around the net. Is he day-to-day?

Lizotte and Stefano are lucky to be on a good team in Barrie. Both might be finished after this year as Stefano is an overage and Lizotte looks disinterested. Little sign of the flash and dash he showed last year with the Petes.

Agree with all points here. For me Lorentz is a real key offensively for the Petes......his 10 games off really set him back. He was very dangerous offensively before the suspension. Much better penalty killing last night. The more aggressive forechecking and neutral ice pressure slowed down Barrie's pp. if Mancina isn't sharp in the playoffs, I don't think it will matter who the Petes face. But, if everything falls into place for the Petes, I wouldn't want to be the team facing them. Should be interesting and hopefully exciting.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Brendan Ross released his first mock draft today from thescout.ca and had the Petes taking Connor Roberts at 10. Roberts is a big strong two way centre. Would be a very good get if he lasted until 10.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Brendan Ross released his first mock draft today from thescout.ca and had the Petes taking Connor Roberts at 10. Roberts is a big strong two way centre. Would be a very good get if he lasted until 10.

I have not found this...key words for search please

OHLEYE

Oct 17, 2006
Petes Updates ‏@Petes_Updates · 2h2 hours ago  Peterborough, Ontario

Nathan Dunkley and the Red Devils with a strong round robin. Wouldn't mind the #Petes looking at him in first round.

Why?

WillardJFredricks

May 7, 2004
So it looks like they'll be playing either Barrie or North Bay in round one. They'll be either 6th or 7th. Tough matchup either way.

Actually, it looks like Niagara still has a shot at 3rd place, if they win both and North Bay gets 0 points.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
So it looks like they'll be playing either Barrie or North Bay in round one. They'll be either 6th or 7th. Tough matchup either way.

Actually, it looks like Niagara still has a shot at 3rd place, if they win both and North Bay gets 0 points.

Who would you rather play? I don't think we matchup particularly well with either team but would prefer NB out of the 3.

WillardJFredricks

May 7, 2004
North Bay, for sure. They've been slumping lately as well. I know the Petes beat Barrie Tuesday, but that was with Barrie's backup in net. I think they'd lose to the Colts in 5, maybe 6. I could see them beating North Bay. But a 7 game series would be tough. Since he missed a couple games due to his injury, Mancina hasn't been great. He needs to be playing like his normal self for them to have a shot against anyone.

ptbopete

Oct 4, 2009
Peterborough, ON
The Petes looked awful tonite. Had no energy whatsoever. Lose to Mississauga 5-3 but the score could have been a lot worse. The Petes were out-skated all night. It could be a very short playoff for the Petes if they continue to lose battles - often getting beat to the puck in their own end where it counts the most. Cornel looked like a tired old man most of the game and he's the captain. The defense as experienced as they are look hesitant and don't know what to do with the puck, even on the power play.

Betzold might get suspended for the spear at the end against Sean Day. Another dumb play by the overage.

Just a bad bad game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2