Peterborough Petes 2015-16 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
In fact Mancina hasn't dressed the last 2 games.

I would assume there is some sort of minor injury... Makes no sense otherwise. Home ice advantage is within grasp but slipping very quickly....

thething

Jul 28, 2014
Do you guys see Wells getting drafted this year? He has been ranked quite high throughout the year (in terms of goalie ranking) although it seems like many Petes fans have little faith in him whenever he's in net.

His stats are very poor, what has been the main issues with his game this year? From the little I've seen he tends to go down very early and has poor recovery when he gets out of position.

Duke Guy

Sep 10, 2013
If you are wondering why the Petes are last in the PK department, tonight's game was a good indicator. They only had to kill 3 short-handed situations and the Wolves scored all three times.

NorthHockey

Sep 9, 2014
Do you guys see Wells getting drafted this year? He has been ranked quite high throughout the year (in terms of goalie ranking) although it seems like many Petes fans have little faith in him whenever he's in net.

His stats are very poor, what has been the main issues with his game this year? From the little I've seen he tends to go down very early and has poor recovery when he gets out of position.

NHL teams are not to quick to draft goalies anymore. Last year only one goalie from the OHL got drafted(Blackwood). Why waste a draft pick on a goalie when they can wait to see if they develop and then invite them to camp and sign afterwards. A lot of young goalies are struggling this year but can't blame them. A goalie is only good as the team in front of them and too much hype has been put on the top drafted goalies. As for Wells and any other high rates goalies, not sure if they will get drafted but have the potential to improve and get an invite later on. Look at McNiven from Owen Sound, never got drafted but signed with Montreal. Appleby was another undrafted goalie who signed with New Jersey I believe.

Duke Guy

Sep 10, 2013
The OJHL (Junior A) announced today their 1st and 2nd All-Prospects Teams and 2 of the 12 players are Petes draft picks:

Matthew Cairns, a D-man, made the 1st Team. He was a 3rd round pick in 2014.

Bryce Misley, a forward, made the 2nd Team. He was a 6th round pick in 2015.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
The OJHL (Junior A) announced today their 1st and 2nd All-Prospects Teams and 2 of the 12 players are Petes draft picks:

Matthew Cairns, a D-man, made the 1st Team. He was a 3rd round pick in 2014.

Bryce Misley, a forward, made the 2nd Team. He was a 6th round pick in 2015.

Too bad they're both headed to NCAA.

Speaking of prospects we do have a chance with though... Looks like both Nick Isaacson and Perth Swick had a strong finish to their rookie seasons. I think both will be full time Petes next year.

OHL insideout

Jan 12, 2016
I think the Petes have; 1'st,2'nd,2'nd,2'nd,3'rd round this draft.
There might be 2-3 draft picks that could crack the lineup in September.
With a couple of players from previous drafts ready to step in, they should have a nice nucleus of youth and energy to blend in with returning players.

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
I like how Fraser has looked all season and both he and Grima are quite composed as 16 year old defensemen. Clarke is getting more comfortable with every game and despite his slow start, Gallant will be a strong player in this league. He has good hockey sense, is hard to play against and once he scores his 1st goal, I think we'll stop seeing sawdust coming from his hands when he has a scoring chance.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
I like how Fraser has looked all season and both he and Grima are quite composed as 16 year old defensemen. Clarke is getting more comfortable with every game and despite his slow start, Gallant will be a strong player in this league. He has good hockey sense, is hard to play against and once he scores his 1st goal, I think we'll stop seeing sawdust coming from his hands when he has a scoring chance.

I agree with everything stated above... Gallant does do a lot of things well.... Skating and finishing his scoring chances are not quite up to par yet. I like his defensive game and his willingness to play the body. Once he gets his first goal, I hope it lets him relax and play his game.

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
I agree with everything stated above... Gallant does do a lot of things well.... Skating and finishing his scoring chances are not quite up to par yet. I like his defensive game and his willingness to play the body. Once he gets his first goal, I hope it lets him relax and play his game.

Zach Gallant would be better as a LW instead of centre. He has the size to play the wing and as was case with Jonathan Ang it will make it easier for him to develop.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Zach Gallant would be better as a LW instead of centre. He has the size to play the wing and as was case with Jonathan Ang it will make it easier for him to develop.

It's hard to look this far ahead but the potential lines for next year are a mess...

OUT: Garlent, Cornel, Betzold, Nikandrov, Maguire, Masin.

IN: First round pick, 2 Euros, Rollo, Isaacson, Swick?

DeNoble-Lorentz-Timleck
Rollo-Ang-Euro
Gallant-First-Euro
Isaacson-Schulz/Coyle-Clarke

Prophet-Spencer
Jenkins-Grima
Timms-Fraser
Swick

Wells

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
It's hard to look this far ahead but the potential lines for next year are a mess...

DeNoble-Lorentz-Timleck
Rollo-Ang-Euro
Gallant-First-Euro

Prophet-Spencer
Jenkins-Grima
Timms-Fraser
Swick

Wells

I would have the lines as follows:

DeNoble - Lorentz - Rollo
Coyle - Ang - Timlek
Gallant - Schulz - Clarke or Euro
Issacson - 1st - Euro or Clarke

Prophet - Grima
Timms - Spencer
Swick - Fraser
or Euro

Mancina
Wells

I would put Ang and Timlek together because they have shown good chemistry and to balance out the two top lines. Coyle is not going to play on the 4th line. He has shown he can score when he plays with good offensive players. The Schulz line will be the checking line. We will not have both Prophet and Jenkins back, if we have Lorentz back, as we need to keep a spot open for Mancina. The offence will be rebuilding, but we have 5 good offensive players in Lorentz, Ang, Timlek and DeNoble. They all either have or could have 20 goals this season. The defence will have some losses, but they have some good young talent and Mamncina and if he rebounds from a poor sophomore season Wells will provide good goaltending.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

DeNoble-Lorentz-Timleck
Rollo-Ang-Euro
Gallant-First-Euro

Prophet-Spencer
Jenkins-Grima
Timms-Fraser
Swick

Wells

It looks like there are 2, or 3 spots out of 19 regular skaters up for grabs. Given a full compliment of picks including 3(2nds & 5ths), it seems unlikely the Petes could commit to two euros.
Even if they do trade away a 2nd in April for future picks again, the Petes have a lot of players to protect over the next few years.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
I would have the lines as follows:

DeNoble - Lorentz - Rollo
Coyle - Ang - Timlek
Gallant - Schulz - Clarke or Euro
Issacson - 1st - Euro or Clarke

Prophet - Grima
Timms - Spencer
Swick - Fraser
or Euro

Mancina
Wells

I would put Ang and Timlek together because they have shown good chemistry and to balance out the two top lines. Coyle is not going to play on the 4th line. He has shown he can score when he plays with good offensive players. The Schulz line will be the checking line. We will not have both Prophet and Jenkins back, if we have Lorentz back, as we need to keep a spot open for Mancina. The offence will be rebuilding, but we have 5 good offensive players in Lorentz, Ang, Timlek and DeNoble. They all either have or could have 20 goals this season. The defence will have some losses, but they have some good young talent and Mamncina and if he rebounds from a poor sophomore season Wells will provide good goaltending.

I don't mind the looks of this... However I don't like the idea of drafting a kid and burying him on the fourth line. Kids simply don't develop that way.... The team listed above will have some SERIOUS trouble scoring unless the first rounder and euro pick can make an immediate impact. Gallant really has to figure it out, too.

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
I don't mind the looks of this... However I don't like the idea of drafting a kid and burying him on the fourth line. Kids simply don't develop that way.... The team listed above will have some SERIOUS trouble scoring unless the first rounder and euro pick can make an immediate impact. Gallant really has to figure it out, too.

The offence should not be that bad. Lorentz could get 60 to 70 points and Ang, Timlek and DeNoble should get between 50 and 60 points each, if not more and I expect that Rollo will make an immediate impact. Coyle could get 40 points.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
The offence should not be that bad. Lorentz could get 60 to 70 points and Ang, Timlek and DeNoble should get between 50 and 60 points each, if not more and I expect that Rollo will make an immediate impact. Coyle could get 40 points.

Use up those extra future picks on an impact winger to play with Dinoble & Ang, and watch Ang explode for 90 pts.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014

I'd be willing to bet a ton of money that Coyle never touches 40.

Our D core would be 100x better next year if the NHL team that drafts Matt Cairns can convince him to come to the OHL.

Last edited:

OHLEYE

Oct 17, 2006
I'd be willing to bet a ton of money that Coyle never touches 40.

Our D core would be 100x better next year if the NHL team that drafts Matt Cairns can convince him to come to the OHL.

You think Cairns is better than Masin?

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
You think Cairns is better than Masin?

No, but he's pretty damn good and you'd have to take into consider the progression over the summer of everyone else. I think Grima is going to be a beast.

ptbopete

Oct 4, 2009
Peterborough, ON
Though we still let too many goals in against Missy we also can score thanks to the first two lines. Garlent's 2nd hat-trick this week has been timely. He is looking more and more like a Martin St. Louis every day and undrafted at that. Ang is just getting better and better. His entrance into the opponent's zone and puck possession is already one of the best in the League. When he cleans up the turnovers he will be supreme.

I like the Petes defense but just need an overall hike in intensity in our own end. Too many soft plays with the puck and not watching the open forwards closely enough. The earlier comment about Grima I agree with and would add that Fraser is also impressive. If all goes well, in two years, Grima and Fraser will be two of the top defensemen in the OHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad