Peterborough Petes 2015-16 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

WillardJFredricks

May 7, 2004
So much of it often comes back to coaching. They (the players) show up flat a lot. It's happened during the entire Hull era. Often when it's a big game, they have no energy. Also, when you look at the talent the team has, there is no way they should be this mediocre. But they are, because of coaching. It would be great to see a change (of GM too) but the club couldn't afford it.

ptbopete

Oct 4, 2009
Peterborough, ON
I agree. There is no way Hull or the staff should have stood there and allowed the Petes to continue to play half-heartedly. Cornel should have been benched, they've done that before. The weak attempts by a few in our own end to clear the puck out led to at least two Missy goals. And Coyle's one dimensional play (straight-ahead skating, hard-nosed) is great until you need him to do something different. Last night he lost a battle in their end because he didn't anticipate that the MIssy player would beat him to the puck. And he just stopped battling. Missy went down and sorted a few seconds later.

The first Missy goal Prophet went after the Missy player with the puck on his partner's side (where his defensive partner was :shakehead) leaving Sean Day wide open to get a pass and score. Prophet is usually pretty reliable but wtf was he thinking?

I would say with 99% certainty that we didn't throw that game with Missy to get 7th place or to "rest" players , and finish 7th to play Barrie. That wouldn't make sense. But that's what it looked like.

Northern Maroon

Feb 21, 2014
Mississauga ON Canada
Who would you rather play? I don't think we matchup particularly well with either team but would prefer NB out of the 3.

I'm not sure I would call either team in a NB / PTB match, but tonight vs the Ice Dogs will give the playoff match ups a better idea.

Unless Im wrong, did PTB and Barrie only play twice this year, winning each home game? Seems odd for 2 Eastern Conf teams relatively close in distance

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
I'm not sure I would call either team in a NB / PTB match, but tonight vs the Ice Dogs will give the playoff match ups a better idea.

Unless Im wrong, did PTB and Barrie only play twice this year, winning each home game? Seems odd for 2 Eastern Conf teams relatively close in distance

Yup. Only twice and both in the last two weeks of the season? Makes no sense.

ptbopete

Oct 4, 2009
Peterborough, ON
So the Petes improbably beat Niagara in the last game of the season. It must be that the Petes play worse against fast teams like missy and better against skilled passing teams like Niagara or Kingston. Or the Petes just didn't show up last night. Who knows but the Petes and the refs did their darnedest to allow Niagara back in the game twice giving up two goal leads to Niagara who eventually tied it.

We got about 10 minor penalties most of which were soft calls. Against all odds Niagara only got one PP goal. The Petes continue to confound.

Unless Missy beats Niagara we will be 6th place and play North Bay in the 1st round. If Missy wins we go 7th and play BArrie.

WillardJFredricks

May 7, 2004
Yup. Only twice and both in the last two weeks of the season? Makes no sense.

I couldn't figure that one either. I thought they played Central teams 4 times. It sure seemed like Mississauga was in town a heck of a lot this season. Maybe they rotate it season to season?

I'm hoping Missy lose tomorrow. I don't like either matchup, but I think North Bay is the "better" option for the Petes. Although a Stan Butler team will always be tough to beat in a 7 game series.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
I couldn't figure that one either. I thought they played Central teams 4 times. It sure seemed like Mississauga was in town a heck of a lot this season. Maybe they rotate it season to season?

I'm hoping Missy lose tomorrow. I don't like either matchup, but I think North Bay is the "better" option for the Petes. Although a Stan Butler team will always be tough to beat in a 7 game series.

It'll be tough no doubt but ...

Barrie's depth > North Bays

Barrie's offense > North Bays

Blackwood > Smith

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
It'll be tough no doubt but ...

Barrie's depth > North Bays

Barrie's offense > North Bays

Blackwood > Smith

I'd question the third statement a little bit, Blackwood more so than Smith has a tendency to have a rough outing. I realize I'm not doing myself any favours as your series is set to start!

ptbopete

Oct 4, 2009
Peterborough, ON
For any Petes fans interested, here is our write up on the Petes/Battalion first round playoff series,

https://prospectshockey.wordpress.c...ew-north-bay-battalion-vs-peterborough-petes/

It's a good preview -pretty accurate. The Examiner preview: http://www.thepeterboroughexaminer....enly-matched-for-opening-round-playoff-series

The Examiner article touches on the special teams which for Peterborough might have been the primary reason for their under-performance this year. The Petes do have Mancina but it's important to note that the Petes' defensive zone has been ripe with errors and miscues all year which explains the high goals-against.

The Petes also struggle with "putting teams away" when they do have a lead.

Most of these struggles have been pinned on the coaching staff by fans. We can only guess that Hull and company have either stuck to their systems on purpose or they have simply been unable to improve this team in the weaker areas mentioned here.

This series has the potential to go 7 games because of the inconsistency of the Petes -they may "show up" one game and "disappear" the next. Losses this year to Sudbury and Guelph at home were confounding and yet wins in London and several against Kingston show what the Petes can do.

WillardJFredricks

May 7, 2004
I'm thinking this could be a good series. It was a very entertaining game when North Bay was in town a couple weeks ago. I think I'm going to be an optimist and predict a Petes win in 6 (maybe 7). It seems like the Petes of the past few seasons have done well in the playoffs. They play their best. I think it will come down to how Mancina plays. If he's on his game, I think they can definitely win. The Petes defence is kind of terrible (usually it seems because they pinch and end up deep in the opposite end, thinking they're Bryan Fogarty or something) so it will be on Mancina to play his best. Hopefully the little funk he was in for a couple of weeks is over.

I think with Garlent, Cornel, Betzold, Ang and Denoble, they should be able to score enough goals to stay in it, even with North Bay's goalie. Also, since the Battalion have been playing kind of poorly lately, which, as a Petes fan, I hope continues. I expect a long, tough series, with the Petes coming out on top. Optimism!

Mayday3*

I'm thinking this could be a good series. It was a very entertaining game when North Bay was in town a couple weeks ago. I think I'm going to be an optimist and predict a Petes win in 6 (maybe 7). It seems like the Petes of the past few seasons have done well in the playoffs. They play their best. I think it will come down to how Mancina plays. If he's on his game, I think they can definitely win. The Petes defence is kind of terrible (usually it seems because they pinch and end up deep in the opposite end, thinking they're Bryan Fogarty or something) so it will be on Mancina to play his best. Hopefully the little funk he was in for a couple of weeks is over.

I think with Garlent, Cornel, Betzold, Ang and Denoble, they should be able to score enough goals to stay in it, even with North Bay's goalie. Also, since the Battalion have been playing kind of poorly lately, which, as a Petes fan, I hope continues. I expect a long, tough series, with the Petes coming out on top. Optimism!

Both teams come in with identical 5-4-1 records over their last 10 games

Duke Guy

Sep 10, 2013
"It seems like the Petes of the past few seasons have done well in the playoffs".

With all do respect, the Petes have won exactly 1 playoff round in the last 9 years.

WillardJFredricks

May 7, 2004
"It seems like the Petes of the past few seasons have done well in the playoffs".

With all do respect, the Petes have won exactly 1 playoff round in the last 9 years.

Yes, but the expectations have been so abysmally low that they've exceeded them. Last year, winning one game against Oshawa was a surprise. The comeback from 3-0 against Kingston the previous season was great. If you go in expecting them to go 4 and out, they can't disappoint you!

That's the sad state of the franchise now. Also, it was mentioned in the paper that this was their best record in a decade. 33 wins in 68 games. They've fallen so far.

ptbopete

Oct 4, 2009
Peterborough, ON
The trap vs the trap last night. North Bay did a better job of closing down our exits from our end. We didn't really have much puck possession last night which didn't allow us to get anything going. North Bay had more jump but we were in the game he whole time. Didn't see much interesting stuff from Cornel, Garlent, Ang -these guys need to bring it to another level - same with Lorentz and Betzold. This is a series we can win

BobbyStokers9713

Mar 23, 2016
When it comes down to it the teams are pretty evenly matched. I would actually give the nod to the Petes on forward as they have more depth even though NB has the best forward (Amadio) however this series will just come down to Stan butler out coaching his opposition as hull does a poor job and Stan exploits that.

ptbopete

Oct 4, 2009
Peterborough, ON
Yeah nice win on the road in Game 2. Hopefully we got out of there without any suspensions or injuries. North Bay clearly doesn't like to lose on home ice as they turned to a nastier game and lots of complaining to the refs which the fans agreed with. Masin got blindsided without the puck but no call. But later in third Amadio hits a 16 year old Pete from behind and gets a 4 minute penalty. Santos was already in the box for high-sticking.

Anyway the Petes are no angels either but do manage to pull out a well-deserved 5-3 win. Kudos to the top three lines for showing up and a hard-fought game back on the defense.

Samee987

Oct 26, 2014
Yeah nice win on the road in Game 2. Hopefully we got out of there without any suspensions or injuries. North Bay clearly doesn't like to lose on home ice as they turned to a nastier game and lots of complaining to the refs which the fans agreed with. Masin got blindsided without the puck but no call. But later in third Amadio hits a 16 year old Pete from behind and gets a 4 minute penalty. Santos was already in the box for high-sticking.

Anyway the Petes are no angels either but do manage to pull out a well-deserved 5-3 win. Kudos to the top three lines for showing up and a hard-fought game back on the defense.

You obviously weren't at the game, I was!! Firstly, Pete's full credit for the win, great possession game and your goalie outplayed ours. There was a ton of crap going on out there all game and the 2 idiots in stripes were god awful. The OHL needs to get there s#*/ together as Ferguson and Pindar are just horrible --both ways!! This game was getting out of hand because of these 2 clowns. Ask any Knight or Sting fan a out Ferguson...terrible ref. Santos 4 for high-stick...Amadio 2 check from behind ( little cross check). The frustration was clearly the result of poor officiating..both sides.

ptbopete

Oct 4, 2009
Peterborough, ON
No I wasn't at the game. Yeah sorry it was Santos that got the four minutes not Amadio. But the Petes got 4 minutes when there was a big mêlée in the Petes end. Masin got four and sent to the showers. But Bruce got the same penalties on he play and yet North Bay got a 4 minute power play. The play by play announcers didn't seem to know what was going on. The scoresheet doesn't say why the Petes went short-handed for four minutes within which NB scored.

Samee987

Oct 26, 2014
No I wasn't at the game. Yeah sorry it was Santos that got the four minutes not Amadio. But the Petes got 4 minutes when there was a big mêlée in the Petes end. Masin got four and sent to the showers. But Bruce got the same penalties on he play and yet North Bay got a 4 minute power play. The play by play announcers didn't seem to know what was going on. The scoresheet doesn't say why the Petes went short-handed for four minutes within which NB scored.

Santos /Garlent cancel out. Bruce/Masin cancel out. That leaves Jenkins with a slash and rough on Amadio which started the whole thing. ( could have got a third minor on the same play for xcheck as well). Amadio took it all with no retaliation. That left Pete's short for 4 minutes.

elindros

Oct 24, 2011
Santos /Garlent cancel out. Bruce/Masin cancel out. That leaves Jenkins with a slash and rough on Amadio which started the whole thing. ( could have got a third minor on the same play for xcheck as well). Amadio took it all with no retaliation. That left Pete's short for 4 minutes.

Jenkins was not involved with Amadio. Jenkins was tackled by Santos behind the net after the play in which they both crashed into the boards. Jenkins was on the bottom unable to even throw a punch so the 4 minute penalty to him was a mystery.

It was Cornel and Amadio roughing it up and both of them didn't receive anything on the play

barclayplager

Feb 9, 2014
...play off officiating is a reward for a season of competence... these 2 refs working now means there are offcials not as competent....tell me that is not scary....I track the playoff assignments to see who the OHL values most....supervisors must be slightly incompetent themselves..

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
Mancina outplayed Smith, better offensive zone pressure by the Petes than in game 1, more physical and more disciplined than North Bay and balanced scoring. If the Petes candidate this consistently each game I like their chances. Nice having Timleck back......a little more depth and a stronger effort by the 4th line - nice hit by Gallant on Wood.

NV

Aug 22, 2003
Jenkins was not involved with Amadio. Jenkins was tackled by Santos behind the net after the play in which they both crashed into the boards. Jenkins was on the bottom unable to even throw a punch so the 4 minute penalty to him was a mystery.

It was Cornel and Amadio roughing it up and both of them didn't receive anything on the play

Yeah, the North Bay fans at the rink sounded pretty clueless freaking out over such obvious penalties. Watch these clips and tell me these weren't deserving penalties...

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/juni...gh-petes-windsor-spitfires-kitchener-rangers/

Hell, that hit by Bruce isn't that much different than this one by Lorentz: http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/video/index/id/28295205be5e8bef6eeac5d3599d2698

Then to top it off, NB gets gifted a 4 min PP in the incident you mention above where Jenkins is on the bottom the entire time. Battalion were sour because they got their ***** handed to them in game 2 and started playing undisciplined as a result. Nothing wrong with that. Being the more physical/dirty team is how the Petes beat Kingston in 2014.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad