Peterborough Petes 2015-16 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Though we still let too many goals in against Missy we also can score thanks to the first two lines. Garlent's 2nd hat-trick this week has been timely. He is looking more and more like a Martin St. Louis every day and undrafted at that. Ang is just getting better and better. His entrance into the opponent's zone and puck possession is already one of the best in the League. When he cleans up the turnovers he will be supreme.

I like the Petes defense but just need an overall hike in intensity in our own end. Too many soft plays with the puck and not watching the open forwards closely enough. The earlier comment about Grima I agree with and would add that Fraser is also impressive. If all goes well, in two years, Grima and Fraser will be two of the top defensemen in the OHL.

I wonder what happens when/if Rollo and the Blades get beat out...

DeNoble-Garlent-Cornel

Betzold-Lorentz-Timleck

Rollo-Gallant-Ang

Coyle-Nikandrov-Maguire (Checking line against other teams top lines)

ptbopete

Oct 4, 2009
Peterborough, ON
character win last night against North Bay. with a weak game by Mancina the offence had to come from behind in the third. pretty impressive. we have an experienced team that could make some noise in the playoffs but it largely depends on our defense and how they play. we have lots of holes.

Very impressed with Maguire - he has been one of the best players for the Petes in the second half. And he is bringing Nikandrov with him. Their line is gritty.

Timleck must be hurt bad to miss so many games. it will be nice to have him back and we will have three very good forward lines.

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
character win last night against North Bay. with a weak game by Mancina the offence had to come from behind in the third. pretty impressive. we have an experienced team that could make some noise in the playoffs but it largely depends on our defense and how they play. we have lots of holes.

Very impressed with Maguire - he has been one of the best players for the Petes in the second half. And he is bringing Nikandrov with him. Their line is gritty.

Timleck must be hurt bad to miss so many games. it will be nice to have him back and we will have three very good forward lines.

Even with Adam Timlek out we have 3 solid lines. Him and Jonathan Ang are interchangeable.

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
With the win last night the Petes cliched 7th place in the conference and guarantee themselves a .500 record.

WillardJFredricks

May 7, 2004
I know they changed the way the standings are, but they have still lost more than they've won.

However, they could be dangerous in the playoffs. Mancina hasn't been great since he missed those couple of games, but I think he's still one of the league's best. The Denoble-Garlent-Cornel line is playing great. Betzold is always dangerous and Ang is looking really good.

They seem to play better against quality teams. Since they'll finish somewhere between 4th and 7th, they should play a decent team in round one. I hope they can get to 4th. It would be nice if they could have home ice for one round, at least.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
With the win last night the Petes cliched 7th place in the conference and guarantee themselves a .500 record.

I really think we are in for a good playoff series or two... The only teams we don't match up well against are Niagara and Barrie. I think the other teams we can at the very least play with if not beat...

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
I know they changed the way the standings are, but they have still lost more than they've won.

However, they could be dangerous in the playoffs. Mancina hasn't been great since he missed those couple of games, but I think he's still one of the league's best. The Denoble-Garlent-Cornel line is playing great. Betzold is always dangerous and Ang is looking really good.

They seem to play better against quality teams. Since they'll finish somewhere between 4th and 7th, they should play a decent team in round one. I hope they can get to 4th. It would be nice if they could have home ice for one round, at least.

You really cannot say shoot out losses are losses. The game is being decided on penalty shots. Even the overtime games are 3 on 3 and that increases the chances of a team scoring. In traditional game circumstances they have won more than they have lost.

Duke Guy

Sep 10, 2013
Petes have lost 32 games out of the 63 they have played so far, which is more than 50% of their games.

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
Happy to see the 4th line get 2 shifts in the last 10 minutes of the 3rd with the Petes leading by a goal. They had great energy, created some chances and showed more defensive composure in their own end. The kids are growing up....

Last edited:

ptbopete

Oct 4, 2009
Peterborough, ON
The Petes have no idea how to beat Oshawa even when the Petes are winning by three goals and have an older, more experienced and more talented team. Oshawa could spot the Petes five goals, be the worst team in the OHL and still win almost every time. God forbid the Petes put away Oshawa but no give the Gens a chance to make the playoffs so that we get a chance to play them again in the playoffs (not likely I know but the Petes would like to lose to Oshawa again). Tone Peterborough Petes are their own worst enemy but with Oshawa are jinxed beyond belief.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
The Petes have no idea how to beat Oshawa even when the Petes are winning by three goals and have an older, more experienced and more talented team. Oshawa could spot the Petes five goals, be the worst team in the OHL and still win almost every time. God forbid the Petes put away Oshawa but no give the Gens a chance to make the playoffs so that we get a chance to play them again in the playoffs (not likely I know but the Petes would like to lose to Oshawa again). Tone Peterborough Petes are their own worst enemy but with Oshawa are jinxed beyond belief.

This team has far too many flaws to make a splash come playoff time. The main flaw... The head coach. The Maguire line sees more ice time than any other line and they contribute next to no offense. They are OK defensively but last time I checked you needed to actually put goals on the board to win a hockey game.

I hope Petes fans have enjoyed his season because it'll be much more of the same next year.... We will have to reach with our first round pick so we can sign the kid (like Gallant) and we will draft two euros that are barely OHL caliber because they will be the only kids we can convince to come to the OHL.

Mediocrity at its finest.

What the hell is wrong with Dylan Wells? Snap out of it kid.

WillardJFredricks

May 7, 2004
Overtime losses and shootout losses do not count in the .500 record. They are considered like ties because points are awarded.

They put in the shootout so there would be no more ties. You either win or you lose. The Petes have lost more games than they've won.

Rough collapse tonight. Probably come down to the final day to find out who they play. With the high end offence they have, plus Mancina, I think they could possibly get out of round one.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
I can't believe we drafted a kid 5th overall who will finish the year goalless and less than 5 total points. Missed out on Tippett by ONE damn spot.

core33

Feb 22, 2015
They put in the shootout so there would be no more ties. You either win or you lose. The Petes have lost more games than they've won.

Rough collapse tonight. Probably come down to the final day to find out who they play. With the high end offence they have, plus Mancina, I think they could possibly get out of round one.

High end offense, lol, first round and done... Very simple.

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013

They do have a high end offence. They have 7, 20 plus goal scorers. Included in those 7 players are 1 player with 40 goals and another with 38. They have 2 lines that can score and a great checking line. 5 of their defencemen are plus in the plus minus and Matt Mancina is quality goaltender. They will be competitive in the playoffs.

OHLEYE

Oct 17, 2006
This team has far too many flaws to make a splash come playoff time. The main flaw... The head coach. The Maguire line sees more ice time than any other line and they contribute next to no offense. They are OK defensively but last time I checked you needed to actually put goals on the board to win a hockey game. .

Just two days ago you said

"I really think we are in for a good playoff series or two... The only teams we don't match up well against are Niagara and Barrie. I think the other teams we can at the very least play with if not beat..."

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
This team has far too many flaws to make a splash come playoff time. The main flaw... The head coach. The Maguire line sees more ice time than any other line and they contribute next to no offense. They are OK defensively but last time I checked you needed to actually put goals on the board to win a hockey game.

I hope Petes fans have enjoyed his season because it'll be much more of the same next year.... We will have to reach with our first round pick so we can sign the kid (like Gallant) and we will draft two euros that are barely OHL caliber because they will be the only kids we can convince to come to the OHL.

Mediocrity at its finest.

What the hell is wrong with Dylan Wells? Snap out of it kid.

The Nikandrov, Maguire and Coyle line is our checking line. They have contributed to the teams success in recent games versus the Steelheads and the Battalion were their job was to shutdown their big lines. Without them shutting them those lines, these teams may have scored more goals and Petes would have lost. The reason in those two games they saw plenty of ice time was the fact that opposition kept putting out their top line. Our two scoring lines did the scoring that was required. Also Josh Maguire has had two goals in the last three games. Offence is not the whole game, preventing the other team from scoring is also part of it and the checking line has been doing that.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Just two days ago you said

"I really think we are in for a good playoff series or two... The only teams we don't match up well against are Niagara and Barrie. I think the other teams we can at the very least play with if not beat..."

Yeah bit of an over reaction clearly but is it ever frustrating watching this team be so inconsistent due to coaching. Capable of doing so much more.

core33

Feb 22, 2015
They do have a high end offence. They have 7, 20 plus goal scorers. Included in those 7 players are 1 player with 40 goals and another with 38. They have 2 lines that can score and a great checking line. 5 of their defencemen are plus in the plus minus and Matt Mancina is quality goaltender. They will be competitive in the playoffs.

Petes are 9th in a 20 team league for goals scored. So I wouldn't consider that high octane. The top 8 teams have a + goal differential, the Petes at 9th are -20. The 10th and 11th teams are also a +.

WillardJFredricks

May 7, 2004

Garlent, Cornel and Petzold are all elite offensive players in the OHL. Denoble has been really good working with Garlent and Cornel. Ang has been playing great since about the beginning of the new year. They have 2 very dangerous lines. Garlent and Cornel are in the top 15 in scoring and Betzold has over 40 goals. Not sure what else you need in order to define the term "high end offence".

With players like that, they're never really out of a game. It will really depend on who they match up with, but I think they have a good chance at getting to round 2. Nobody in the East is particularly strong.

Naz

Nov 25, 2008
Everywhere
Garlent, Cornel and Petzold are all elite offensive players in the OHL. Denoble has been really good working with Garlent and Cornel. Ang has been playing great since about the beginning of the new year. They have 2 very dangerous lines. Garlent and Cornel are in the top 15 in scoring and Betzold has over 40 goals. Not sure what else you need in order to define the term "high end offence".

With players like that, they're never really out of a game. It will really depend on who they match up with, but I think they have a good chance at getting to round 2. Nobody in the East is particularly strong.

I beg to differ Barrie & Kingston are defiantly are strong the rest of the East are beatable.

WillardJFredricks

May 7, 2004
I beg to differ Barrie & Kingston are defiantly are strong the rest of the East are beatable.

Both are strong, but the Petes did well against Kingston this year (won 5 of 8, I believe). They play better against quality teams, it seems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad