Peterborough Petes 2015-16 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ptbopete

Oct 4, 2009
Peterborough, ON
While I agree with you NV about North Bay revving up the chippy play after they started losing, wasn't the 4 minute penalty to Masin on that play? I saw Masin throw a haymaker at a NB player while there was an official between them, likely the reason for the penalty. Masin has to take it down a notch as he is known to lose his cool.

ptbopete

Oct 4, 2009
Peterborough, ON
Beauty win by the Petes. Hard-fought to keep in the game, take the lead and then (of course) find a way to allow the opposition to get back in the game. An unfortunate high-stick by Betzold drawing blood allows NB to score. Santos had our number all game. NB really only has one line that can score and plus they play their top guys short-handed which tires them out. Weird that Butler hasn't got a better plan.

So we win in OT after a fantastic cross-ice pass by Lorentz hits Ang with one of his biggest goal of his life. Big game by Masin, Spencer, Maguire, Nikandrov, Timleck who plays like he's 6'5" and great game by whole first line, Cornel, Garlent, and Denoble.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Beauty win by the Petes. Hard-fought to keep in the game, take the lead and then (of course) find a way to allow the opposition to get back in the game. An unfortunate high-stick by Betzold drawing blood allows NB to score. Santos had our number all game. NB really only has one line that can score and plus they play their top guys short-handed which tires them out. Weird that Butler hasn't got a better plan.

So we win in OT after a fantastic cross-ice pass by Lorentz hits Ang with one of his biggest goal of his life. Big game by Masin, Spencer, Maguire, Nikandrov, Timleck who plays like he's 6'5" and great game by whole first line, Cornel, Garlent, and Denoble.

I echo all of this.

Maguire and Nikandrov were terrific defensively as they usually are and both got on the score sheet as well. Adding Timleck to that line really makes us hard to shut down.

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
Wondering if Coyle is hurt or they just want to save him for PK or he just doesn't add enough offense to the shut down line....maybe some combination of these. I agree that Butler's overuse of Amadio on special teams is wearing him out. The Petes don't use Garlent or Cornel on PK very often so they have gas left in the tank late in games. Timleck gave the Petes a real spark. Not the prettiest of wins but a character win that has to boost their confidence. Big game Thursday to maintain home ice advantage

NV

Aug 22, 2003
Wondering if Coyle is hurt or they just want to save him for PK or he just doesn't add enough offense to the shut down line....maybe some combination of these. I agree that Butler's overuse of Amadio on special teams is wearing him out. The Petes don't use Garlent or Cornel on PK very often so they have gas left in the tank late in games. Timleck gave the Petes a real spark. Not the prettiest of wins but a character win that has to boost their confidence. Big game Thursday to maintain home ice advantage

I think Coyle was hurt in the first, he played a regular shift until about the midway point of that period, then left the bench for the remainder of the first and only played PK after that. I don't like that, if he's not healthy enough to play, he can be a liability on the PK.

ptbopete

Oct 4, 2009
Peterborough, ON
Coyle was on the ice at the end of the game on the PK. It does beg the question about the 4th line though. Is Schulz a healthy scratch? I like him but the team is winning right now.

Timleck took a good hit right before Maguire's goal. Hope he's ok what with the concussion.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Coyle was on the ice at the end of the game on the PK. It does beg the question about the 4th line though. Is Schulz a healthy scratch? I like him but the team is winning right now.

Timleck took a good hit right before Maguire's goal. Hope he's ok what with the concussion.

I wonder if Rollo takes Coyles spot if he can't go tomorrow...

ptbopete

Oct 4, 2009
Peterborough, ON
Rollo would be a good addition. We are pretty deep with forwards this year. If only we could get Gallant and Clarke unstuck. They work hard but haven't had many chances. With more ice and fine tuning they should get better nest year.

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
I think you have to go with Schulz if Coyle can't go tomorrow, but I'm wondering if maybe he just had the flu worse than the rest of the guys. It's been a real team effort so far - everyone seems to be raising the level of their game. I honestly never thought I would see the day that Betzold would consistently do the little things right.....like playing the body and back-checking.

ptbopete

Oct 4, 2009
Peterborough, ON
I think you have to go with Schulz if Coyle can't go tomorrow, but I'm wondering if maybe he just had the flu worse than the rest of the guys. It's been a real team effort so far - everyone seems to be raising the level of their game. I honestly never thought I would see the day that Betzold would consistently do the little things right.....like playing the body and back-checking.

Betzold had hands made of wood two years ago. Now he's a sniper. Also Maguire has one of the best wrist shots suddenly. Someone showed these guys some tips on shooting perhaps.

Tonite's game is pretty key. If the Petes can continue to win it marks a turning point for consistency for this team. We tend to throw in a stinker effort for every game we play well. Winning streaks are rare for this team but they are getting some confidence which can fuel a run.

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
How are Masin and Spencer doing besides the obvious stat watching? I'm an interested Crunch & Lightning fan. Are they on the same pairing and which of them has the higher upside?

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
How are Masin and Spencer doing besides the obvious stat watching? I'm an interested Crunch & Lightning fan. Are they on the same pairing and which of them has the higher upside?

They've been pretty solid, yes they still play together and they have formed the teams #1 d-pairing.

I'd say Masin has the higher upside just because it seems like his offensive game has come along a lot faster than Spencer's has. Matt will get another full year of OHL next season than likely look to jump to pro.

ptbopete

Oct 4, 2009
Peterborough, ON
Tough loss. North Bay finds ways to win and this time weren't giving the Petes much room with the puck. Some errors in our end cost us either turnovers leading to us taking a penalty or to a goal. Smith was lights out tonite.

I still think we are the better team. We just need our defense to play another level up.

Lots of line-switching tonite. I didn't see Coyle or much of Clarke.

OHLEYE

Oct 17, 2006
Tough loss. North Bay finds ways to win and this time weren't giving the Petes much room with the puck. Some errors in our end cost us either turnovers leading to us taking a penalty or to a goal. Smith was lights out tonite.

I still think we are the better team. We just need our defense to play another level up.

Lots of line-switching tonite. I didn't see Coyle or much of Clarke.

And score a goal. Jody Hull needs to play the top line more. There's no point throwing Gallant out there in the third period when you're down a goal. 3rd line as well.

Why was Rollo not in the lineup?

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
And score a goal. Jody Hull needs to play the top line more. There's no point throwing Gallant out there in the third period when you're down a goal. 3rd line as well.

Why was Rollo not in the lineup?

I agree as well, Rollo needs to play.

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
I thought the 3rd line created a number of scoring chances. Timleck's speed adds a nice element to that line. He's not going to block a shot as well as Coyle but he is feisty and certainly plays above his weight. Maguire's physical play gives Timleck more space when he has the puck, making him more dangerous. Danny nikandrov is such a smart all round player - he has been a great pick up for the Petes - well done by Oke.

ptbopete

Oct 4, 2009
Peterborough, ON
I would like to see Rollo as well. Not sure why Gallant was moved up. It might be that Hull was trying to mix things up to get something going.There was other line mixing too. But it also could have been caused by an injury or equipment issue.

Spencer took the puck for a skate late in the game and drove along the boards, evading checks and went right to the net. He didn't get a shot or a pass off but the potential for him to use his speed and size more is there. I'm not sure Spencer is fully aware how good he is or can be.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Joanne Tammela signed with Tampa Bay today. I wonder if there is any chance they send him to the OHL for next season?

Do we still even have his rights?

Snipes 29

Dec 1, 2013
the Petes have 5 picks in the top 50 picks this up coming draft April 9th The Petes scouts better get it right this time around 1 win in last 9 years we are always too small size wise and we better get our early round picks 1 st 9th overall , 2nd 25th overall 2nd 28th overall 2nd 38th overall and 3rd 50th overall. You clowns better get it right and better draft some size .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille