Peterborough Petes 2015-16 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snipes 29

Dec 1, 2013
there are rumours that the Petes 1st round pick 9th overall is not one of the top 21 players listed? You so called scouts better get things right ! And draft some size and skill.

OHLEYE

Oct 17, 2006
the Petes have 5 picks in the top 50 picks this up coming draft April 9th The Petes scouts better get it right this time around 1 win in last 9 years we are always too small size wise and we better get our early round picks 1 st 9th overall , 2nd 25th overall 2nd 28th overall 2nd 38th overall and 3rd 50th overall. You clowns better get it right and better draft some size .

Who did you hear the Petes are taking?

I agree that the Petes could use big players with skill, but Garlent, Ang, Timleck, DeNoble, Timms and Grima are some of our best players. We'll see how Rollo does, but he looked better than several of our newest forwards.

Those players mentioned are miles better than Gallant, Schulz, Coyle, Clarke and Fraser. In the past the Petes have been big and slow, and you need skilled players in order to win. A mix would be preferable, but the Petes seem to think you add size with plugs. At some point they'll need to add players like Jenner, Laughton, Bruce and Wood.

Snipes 29

Dec 1, 2013
awhile ago I put a post on here about our Managers blunder in not getting our euro pick to play here some fan responded that it was a minor thing? well Mississauga with their euro pick drafted lw Alexander Nylander 57 gp 28 goals 47 assists pts 75 if our pickis comparable at 15th overall but we did not get any pts from him zero? Oh and Nylander has 9 playoff point in 4 games but its minor???

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
awhile ago I put a post on here about our Managers blunder in not getting our euro pick to play here some fan responded that it was a minor thing? well Mississauga with their euro pick drafted lw Alexander Nylander 57 gp 28 goals 47 assists pts 75 if our pickis comparable at 15th overall but we did not get any pts from him zero? Oh and Nylander has 9 playoff point in 4 games but its minor???

Masin is a very good Euro. Missy only got 1/2 of the Nylanders they selected; and, had to hire daddy in order to get it 1/2 right. High end euros are far from automatic commits; they have lots of options, some of which pay handsomely.

Last edited:

Mayday3*

Masin is a very good Euro. Missy only got 1/2 of the Nylanders they selected; and, had to hire daddy in order to get it 1/2 right. High end euros are far from automatic commits; they have lots of options, some of which pay handsomely.

But that's why you need to do your research as a team and talk to everyone involved and not just blinding draft a Euro guy and then find out he has no intentions of coming to the OHL...

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
But that's why you need to do your research as a team and talk to everyone involved and not just blinding draft a Euro guy and then find out he has no intentions of coming to the OHL...

I get that, I was pointing out just how difficult it can be to get a euro as good as Nylander. Most non Russian euros destined to be 1st round NHL picks choose to play in the super elite U20 and/or men's elite leagues. The NHL usually selects 1-4 ohl euros in the 1st each year, the odds getting one to commit to a team that's not London is approximately 1 or 2 out of 19.

ptbopete

Oct 4, 2009
Peterborough, ON
The Petes played well but North Bay has three or four players that just play at another level. In the last ten years the Petes have been consistently beaten by other team's elite players and tonite it happens again in spite of the fact that we outplayed North Bay most of the game. We haven't figured out how to play against the likes of Amadio, Dal Colle, etc. And Jake Smith pretty much shut us down again. In the end though I blame our lack of defensive coverage which has been a problem for several years.

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
The Petes played well but North Bay has three or four players that just play at another level. In the last ten years the Petes have been consistently beaten by other team's elite players and tonite it happens again in spite of the fact that we outplayed North Bay most of the game. We haven't figured out how to play against the likes of Amadio, Dal Colle, etc. And Jake Smith pretty much shut us down again. In the end though I blame our lack of defensive coverage which has been a problem for several years.

Amadio had 98 pts this year, including 50 goals. That means he scored points against everyone, not just the Petes. Dal Colle is leading the OHL playoffs in points so far playing against a team other than the Petes. These are great players. They are difficult to stop....sometimes the best you can do is slow them down. I agree the Petes have had some defensive break downs but I give them credit for how they played in game 5. Timms and Grima didn't see much ice in the third and they went with 9 forwards after Denoble got hurt. After the first period the Petes created more opportunities than NB. They deserved to win. Two evenly matched teams with strong goalies and it came down to bounces. Cornel hits the crossbar and Amadio finds space, the puck bounces onto his stick and it ends up in the net. I think the Petes have shown tremendous grit and character. I hope it Is a loud supportive crowd on Sunday. Let's get this series to game 7!

ptbopete

Oct 4, 2009
Peterborough, ON
I thought the Petes carried the play last night. I have more issues with the decision to play mostly the top four defenseman. I would run with cycling three sets of defensemen evenly. We caught a bad break with Denoble getting hurt, that's' for sure. Here's hoping we can pop a few early goals Sunday and take game 6.

hardclimate

Jan 7, 2015
Its been said many times already but these really are two very evenly matched teams. Its NB's core of 4-5 playoff veterans that allow them to win games, not the other rookie players who basically see ice time to give the vets a rest. The Petes have a more balanced attack which should produce more goals in the long run but overall, it isn't very likely that either of these clubs will be advancing to the final this year.

Mayday3*

Kingston obviously looked great against the 8 seed but the 2 Barrie and the 4 Niagara don't look anything special so far in the playoffs. Seems like Peterborough couldve made a few big trades at the deadline with all their picks available and couldve at worst become the 2nd best team in the East. Lots of guy leaving after this year, seems like a missed opportunity.

Do you guys agree with that assessment or no?

three dog night

May 3, 2014
Kingston obviously looked great against the 8 seed but the 2 Barrie and the 4 Niagara don't look anything special so far in the playoffs. Seems like Peterborough couldve made a few big trades at the deadline with all their picks available and couldve at worst become the 2nd best team in the East. Lots of guy leaving after this year, seems like a missed opportunity.

Nope Kingston looked bad in game three and four in their series . Barrie has struggled but Niagara looked real good against Ottawa except for Easter Monday.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

Just one of DaColle or Konency would have made the Petes a serious contender, I think. They have a solid checking line, and an average at best (playoff) 2nd line. They are just too one line dependant for scoring.

Mayday3*

Nope Kingston looked bad in game three and four in their series . Barrie has struggled but Niagara looked real good against Ottawa except for Easter Monday.

Niagara definitely do not look "real good". Ottawa gave them a huge fight and Ottawa is a team who sold away their best players at the trade deadline. Niagara should've walked through that series based on who they got and every single game was close in the 3rd period. I don't trust Niagara at all.

Petes easily couldve given the package that SAR gave and got Konecny/Studnicka. That would've made them a top 2 in the East without a doubt

WillardJFredricks

May 7, 2004

I agree completely. The Petes were in a great position to add and really make a run. Oke said they'd be buyers and he did nothing. With Garlent, Cornel, Betzold and Masin gone, they'll be taking a step back next year, probably back to fighting for a playoff spot. Total missed opportunity.

They also play very well against Kingston. Niagara could be tough, Barrie too, but the East is weak. I honestly think London, Erie, Kitchener and Windsor would beat any team in the East.

As for this current series, it's been about as expected, I'd say (aside from the 7-6 game-didn't expect so many goals). Two mediocre, fairly even teams in a tight series. I think it's far from over. Tomorrow should be a good one. I expect a Petes win, then who knows in game 7.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Fired up for today's game.... The guys need our support. Everyone get down to the PMC!!

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I agree completely. The Petes were in a great position to add and really make a run. Oke said they'd be buyers and he did nothing. With Garlent, Cornel, Betzold and Masin gone, they'll be taking a step back next year, probably back to fighting for a playoff spot. Total missed opportunity.

They also play very well against Kingston. Niagara could be tough, Barrie too, but the East is weak. I honestly think London, Erie, Kitchener and Windsor would beat any team in the East.

As for this current series, it's been about as expected, I'd say (aside from the 7-6 game-didn't expect so many goals). Two mediocre, fairly even teams in a tight series. I think it's far from over. Tomorrow should be a good one. I expect a Petes win, then who knows in game 7.

Completely agree Peteborough missed a good oppurtunity to make a serious playoff push. I do not agree with your statement about the weak east, however. I think Kingston would beat any western team, Barrie could beat any playoff team other than London, and I'd pick Niagara over Erie for sure.
Anyways, go Petes

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Completely agree Peteborough missed a good oppurtunity to make a serious playoff push. I do not agree with your statement about the weak east, however. I think Kingston would beat any western team, Barrie could beat any playoff team other than London, and I'd pick Niagara over Erie for sure.
Anyways, go Petes

I think the only team in the east that the top western teams would worry about in a series is Kingston.

stormfanone

Nov 30, 2013
Toronto Born in Gue.
Only just overv2,400 at the game. What is it with you fans there. This kind of attendance lIke you have been getting for years now would mean a lost of the team in many other cities.

ptbopete

Oct 4, 2009
Peterborough, ON
Have the Petes come back from 3 goals to win at all this year? A real gut-check win by the boys. Credit to Ang, Betzold, Masin, Timleck, Maguire and Gallant who got into a fight when we were down 3-0 and that seems to be the turning point. Mancina again on his game. Amadio is a one-man-show out there and somehow we have to stop him on Tuesday night. It's amazing how much NB plays their top guys.We can tire their top guys out if we keep up a fast pace all game we should be good on Tuesday.

WillardJFredricks

May 7, 2004
Great game! I thought the Petes were done at 3-0. Ang is so fun to watch. One of the most entertaining players they've had in years. Can't wait to see how good he gets.

It seemed like the Petes scored whenever they went upstairs on Smith. I have no idea what to expect for game 7. I'd give North Bay the edge 55-45, but I think it's a toss up.

WillardJFredricks

May 7, 2004
Only just overv2,400 at the game. What is it with you fans there. This kind of attendance lIke you have been getting for years now would mean a lost of the team in many other cities.

Attendance is definitely a major problem. I could post my reasoning for the low numbers another time, but right now I'll just be happy with the great win tonight.

Snipes 29

Dec 1, 2013
Here is my point in2012 the Petes Dave Reid picked Eric CORNELL with the 3rd overall pick a good pick his 25th pick overall was Josh MaGuire? say what? yes Battalion took Kyle Wood d with the57th pick but Mike AMADIO went 36th overall the draft is everything you need to get it right with your early picks. Yes we could have had Amadio and Cornel wow.So when I hear the Petes ist round pick is not in the top 21 players I get a little nervous. Why do they think they are smarter than all the other scouts especially when we have won one playoff series in nine years?

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Here is my point in2012 the Petes Dave Reid picked Eric CORNELL with the 3rd overall pick a good pick his 25th pick overall was Josh MaGuire? say what? yes Battalion took Kyle Wood d with the57th pick but Mike AMADIO went 36th overall the draft is everything you need to get it right with your early picks. Yes we could have had Amadio and Cornel wow.So when I hear the Petes ist round pick is not in the top 21 players I get a little nervous. Why do they think they are smarter than all the other scouts especially when we have won one playoff series in nine years?

So, 15 teams past on Amadio twice, and Butler once again develops one great leader for his team and the next level; interesting.
Great series, go Petes.

three dog night

May 3, 2014
I think the only team in the east that the top western teams would worry about in a series is Kingston.

I think the west team have respect for the Ice Dogs. I know London prob do not want to play them esp. in St.Catharines and I think the Dogs can top Erie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad