Peter Chiarelli End Of Season Press Conference?

Status
Not open for further replies.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
Just said this in the other thread, but I think one of Chia or McLellan is getting fired, and that's why they're putting off the press conference. As much as everyone here wants to think that Chiarelli is a coward and is hiding from the media, that's absurd given that it wouldn't even be that difficult of a presser. Disappointing season, gonna reassess, yada yada. No one is running from that. Makes me think there are currently decisions being made on the staff. McLellan going to Saskatchewan might mean a meeting was delayed.

I agree with the bold. McLellan has given his conference, answered some tough questions, and was fairly positive, all things considered. Maybe I read too much into people's disposition, but he didn't seem like a guy who was super concerned about his future.

I think it's very strange that Chiarelli has been a ghost. There is even some confusion about when his presser is going to be. "Maybe in an hour, maybe at the end of the week. We'll keep you updated. . ." These things are usually pretty organized and planned out, which makes me wonder if there is something going on behind the scenes. Stauffer's comment about white smoke is interesting.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
Now THAT little nugget is interesting. I’m guessing the reference is the pope thing. Could also be a smoke signals reference ie signs of change?

Love him or hate him no one is more plugged into the goings on with the Oilers than Stauffer.

My guess is either the assistant coaches are canned, Chia is canned, or Chia moves into a pure president of hockey ops role and they announce the search for a new GM, kind of like what Carolina did.

If anything is going to happen, this seems to be the most likely scenario.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
It wouldn't be ideal, but I could live with Chia being only POHO and someone else taking over GM duties so long as that GM has autonomy and isn't just a puppet.

Reactions: Aerrol

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
It wouldn't be ideal, but I could live with Chia being only POHO and someone else taking over GM duties so long as that GM has autonomy and isn't just a puppet.

I could live with this too. I have no reason to think Chia is bad at the POHO part of the job. The scouting seems to be good ect. He is without question a terrible GM though.

While I would like him gone entirely. I would live with this as well.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
If that was the case, I'm surprised none of them insiders have mentioned a peep about it. Earth to Rishaug, Bob, Lebrun, and Dreger.

I agree, which is why I think there's nothing coming, but one can wish. I think Chia actually could do alright in the POHO - keeps him away from making trades and contracts.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
If that was the case, I'm surprised none of them insiders have mentioned a peep about it. Earth to Rishaug, Bob, Lebrun, and Dreger.
Maybe it just happened. Soundwave said Stauffer ended his show with the smoke comment.

None of the insiders knew what was going on three years ago when MacTavish got removed from the GM position.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards

If that happens, then the next GM will be Tambo V2.0. Another puppet that isn't qualified for the job. Someone to take the fall so that everyone in the OBC, including Chia, can keep their jobs.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
I agree, which is why I think there's nothing coming, but one can wish. I think Chia actually could do alright in the POHO - keeps him away from making trades and contracts.

Would love Fenton in all honesty, but this organization lacks the brain and accountability to do so. They'll probably put Gretzky in charge of being a GM.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
So we're getting ourselves a new Oilers Pope. Unfortunately, the Pope is chosen from among the cardinals, which I think in our cases means it's guaranteed to be a 80s dynasty guy. I eagerly await our new religious systems play next year, we'll lose games but three days later watch out.

I swear to Gord if we are getting a new GM and we don’t conduct a thorough search and interview process of the best available candidates and just hire some ex-Oiler from the 80’s I will pull my hair out and light a bonfire of Oiler merchandise.

Chia to POHO, Keith Gretzky interim GM, and hire someone f***ing qualified.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Maybe Chiarelli is resigning. I don’t think that’s out of the realm of possibility. He insisted on the POHO title when he was hired because he wanted full control and it was given to him. I said, after he was hired and we found out Lowe and company were staying, that we’d know for certain that he didn’t have that full control if he left early.

I know many here want him fired and I understand it. Unless they’re firing both Chiarelli and Mclellan together, his dismissal doesn’t make much sense to me. Coaches go first, that’s just the way it works. Not only that but Mclellan hasn’t proven to be so worthy of his job that he survives Chiarelli.

Chiarelli’s silence this week does seem odd to me so maybe something is up. Don’t rule out the idea of him just leaving or he and the team announcing they’ve decided to part ways.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Stauffer made an odd comment ending Oilers Now. "You might see a puff of smoke coming from Rogers Place tomorrow". Don't think it means anything but doesn't that usually signify a change in higher up leadership occurring (ie: a new Pope)?

So we're getting ourselves a new Oilers Pope. Unfortunately, the Pope is chosen from among the cardinals, which I think in our cases means it's guaranteed to be a 80s dynasty guy. I eagerly await our new religious systems play next year, we'll lose games but three days later watch out.

I agree with the bold. McLellan has given his conference, answered some tough questions, and was fairly positive, all things considered. Maybe I read too much into people's disposition, but he didn't seem like a guy who was super concerned about his future.

I think it's very strange that Chiarelli has been a ghost. There is even some confusion about when his presser is going to be. "Maybe in an hour, maybe at the end of the week. We'll keep you updated. . ." These things are usually pretty organized and planned out, which makes me wonder if there is something going on behind the scenes. Stauffer's comment about white smoke is interesting.

Pope.... Cardinals.... Ghost?????? Maybe Copia is replacing Chia!!!

WATCH: Ghost Unveil New Leader, Cardinal Copia - All Things Loud

Reactions: McGhost Division

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I swear to Gord if we are getting a new GM and we don’t conduct a thorough search and interview process of the best available candidates and just hire some ex-Oiler from the 80’s I will pull my hair out and light a bonfire of Oiler merchandise.

Chia to POHO, Keith Gretzky interim GM, and hire someone ****ing qualified.
I doubt you'll be alone in that endeavor.

I've got a pentagram set up in the hopes that everyone will be fired but I'm not holding my breath.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

Rishaug’s been in Humboldt talking with people having the worst week of their lives. He gets a pass from me on this.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
If that happens, then the next GM will be Tambo V2.0. Another puppet that isn't qualified for the job. Someone to take the fall so that everyone in the OBC, including Chia, can keep their jobs.

Anything is better than what we have right now where it's just straight up massive damage being done to the franchise each consecutive summer.

At this point we need to stop the bleeding first.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013

Chia to POHO, Keith Gretzky interim GM, and hire someone ****ing qualified.
Based on how this team operates my money is on Keith Gretzky getting the GM job if Chiarelli is out. I don't think the Oilers have ever done a search or interview process.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Based on how this team operates my money is on Keith Gretzky getting the GM job if Chiarelli is out. I don't think the Oilers have ever done a search or interview process.
And they won’t start now. The old guard is threatened mightily by new blood in the organization.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton

could be the accident, too. hit him pretty hard. It probably gave him some perspective and right now the thought of getting fired doesn't bother him one bit, in the grand scheme of things.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
So I go away for lunch, and come back to this 'puff of smoke' cryptic comment.

Bob is a blowhard and in love with the sound of his own voice more often than not, but he's also one that loves setting up his easter egg hunts and being all nuance-y when he catches wind of something in the works. He doesn't make a sneaky little comment like that at sign-off just for kicks.

Something is up, and as much as I hate the idea I can just see it being either Gretzky or Messier taking over the GM role, with Chiarelli staying on as POHO and essentially the "mother hen" for the baby GM.

I could just see it.

Reactions: Aerrol
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad