Peter Chiarelli End Of Season Press Conference?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
what are you supposed to ask?

"How can you justify being a general manager in a cap league when you can't properly gauge player value whether it be in a trade or in a contract negotiation?"

is that a question?

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
going from Tambo/MacT/Chiarelli to a 5th grader would be a massive improvement in terms of GM quality

Hell, be the first pro team to not have a GM, or make McDavid the GM. Either is a better option

Todd Parchment

Apr 5, 2018
This fan base is whining about not hearing from a guy they despise? We are a petty bunch.

Who cares. Not defending the guy though, he’s been pretty trash for the most part.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Although it is kind of weird to see Chiarelli run away from the world easiest press conference. Like what is the Edmonton MSM going to ask? "Do you think this team was tough enough, and do you think this team lacked the grit to compete? Please expand on this Pete"

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
who cares. They're completely useless and devoid of any real substance.
I could sum it up for you all.

Death by a thousand cuts.
We all need to go to work this summer to get better. Management, Coaches, Scouts, Players.
Need to get faster. Maybe not just skating faster but faster decision making.
Lucic had a great first half and the wheels fell off with the rest of the team after Christmas.
Will get a healthy defense back with Klefbom (who swears wasn't that hurt all year) and Sekera.
The special teams had some good production at different times etc. (will not come out and admit they blew complete ass) so we won't even know if they have any plans to address them.

"Is the first pick in play?"
We're not saying it is but we're not saying it isn't. You never balk at the opportunity to get better.

Why anyone cares to hear the gm and coach exit interviews is beyond me. It's so canned and completely lacking substance.
"Did Lucic have a poor second half?"
answer
"Well Lucic among other players was a bit snake bitten and lacked confidence. It's up to us to help him get that confidence back"

That's the NHL now days... puppy dog kisses..... and never.... ever ...... ever ... hold a player accountable in the media/public.

They all played their asses off but had some bad bounces.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
who cares. They're completely useless and devoid of any real substance.
I could sum it up for you all.

Death by a thousand cuts.
We all need to go to work this summer to get better. Management, Coaches, Scouts, Players.
Need to get faster. Maybe not just skating faster but faster decision making.
Lucic had a great first half and the wheels fell off with the rest of the team after Christmas.
Will get a healthy defense back with Klefbom (who swears wasn't that hurt all year) and Sekera.
The special teams had some good production at different times etc. (will not come out and admit they blew complete ass) so we won't even know if they have any plans to address them.

"Is the first pick in play?"
We're not saying it is but we're not saying it isn't. You never balk at the opportunity to get better.

Why anyone cares to hear the gm and coach exit interviews is beyond me. It's so canned and completely lacking substance.
"Did Lucic have a poor second half?"
answer
"Well Lucic among other players was a bit snake bitten and lacked confidence. It's up to us to help him get that confidence back"

That's the NHL now days... puppy dog kisses..... and never.... ever ...... ever ... hold a player accountable in the media/public.

They all played their asses off but had some bad bounces.

"Peter, do you feel like pineapple on pizza is a good thing?"

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country
Anyone remember maybe half way through the season when he was asked about the Eberle trade and gave some BS answer about it being done to account for Draisaitl offer sheets?

Don't expect anything but empty words, like most of his interviews. Even that question which was ripe for him to take accountability on, he side-stepped.

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
This fan base is whining about not hearing from a guy they despise? We are a petty bunch.

Who cares. Not defending the guy though, he’s been pretty trash for the most part.
We want accountability from the idiot who sewered this teams chances of contending for the cup.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The Stanley Cup playoffs start tomorrow, waiting until tomorrow or later to have a year end presser is bush league.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Chia is definitely dumb enough to be on the side that is against pineapple on pizza.
Not to absolve him of any wrongdoings, but pineapple has no place on a pizza.

Fruit on pizza (obviously not tomato) advocates need to have their heads checked. How about some strawberries with your pepperoni, sir?

Get outta here.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
never understood why people argue about pineapple on a pizza.

I'd rather ague about green peppers on a pizza. even if you pick it off, that stuff has tainted the whole pizza. that's all you can taste. gross.
Remember when anchovies used to the "Gross" item on a pizza?

Pineapple is the new anchovies.

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country
I will say it is extremely cowardly to wait until the playoffs start to try and distract (however slightly) from the heat he should be facing.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I will say it is extremely cowardly to wait until the playoffs start to try and distract (however slightly) from the heat he should be facing.

Yup, either something is going on in the front office or the GM is being a coward and hoping this presser goes unnoticed as the SC playoffs would be the far bigger story.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
Anyone remember maybe half way through the season when he was asked about the Eberle trade and gave some BS answer about it being done to account for Draisaitl offer sheets?

Don't expect anything but empty words, like most of his interviews. Even that question which was ripe for him to take accountability on, he side-stepped.

Chiarelli referenced a potential offer sheet as a reason for the Eberle trade in the summer, I think sometime shortly after he pulled the trigger. What is interesting is that, earlier in the summer, before he made the Eberle trade, when asked about a potential offer sheet for Draisaitl, Chiarelli seemed surprised at the proposition, as if he was caught off guard by the possibility of someone even considering sending an offer sheet.

But, like you said, later on he did reference that as a reason for the trade, and he was pretty definitive about it. I tend to think that one of two things happened: 1.) Chiarelli thought that an offer sheet was a really convenient reason for the trade, perhaps filling the gap of the more awkward and probably true reason of Eberle asking for a trade; 2.) someone really was planning on sending an offer sheet, perhaps telling Chiarelli that if he doesn't free up space, then they will offer sheet Draisaitl. Bear in mind there were whispers of a looming Draisaitl offer sheet before he signed his contract. (I seem to remember Montreal being mentioned as a candidate.)

Neither of these scenarios may be true, but I definitely noticed the discrepancy between Chiarelli's surprise at the possibility of an offer sheet to later citing it as a reason for making the Eberle trade.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Chiarelli referenced a potential offer sheet as a reason for the Eberle trade in the summer, I think sometime shortly after he pulled the trigger. What is interesting is that, earlier in the summer, before he made the Eberle trade, when asked about a potential offer sheet for Draisaitl, Chiarelli seemed surprised at the proposition, as if he was caught off guard by the possibility of someone even considering sending an offer sheet.

But, like you said, later on he did reference that as a reason for the trade, and he was pretty definitive about it. I tend to think that one of two things happened: 1.) Chiarelli thought that an offer sheet was a really convenient reason for the trade, perhaps filling the gap of the more awkward and probably true reason of Eberle asking for a trade; 2.) someone really was planning on sending an offer sheet, perhaps telling Chiarelli that if he doesn't free up space, then they will offer sheet Draisaitl. Bear in mind there were whispers of a looming Draisaitl offer sheet before he signed his contract.

Neither of these scenarios may be true, but I definitely noticed the discrepancy between Chiarelli's surprise at the possibility of an offer sheet to later citing it as a reason for making the Eberle trade.

Eh, I don't know about this. He was asked about a potential offersheet for Draisaitl in his SOTU presser after we got eliminated last year and said right then and there that it would be "purely inflationary" as he would just match anyway. They knew going into the summer that it was on the table and that other teams would likely at least consider the option.

He did of course site it as a reason for the Eberle trade later on but that's easily explained away as a bandaid excuse for an awful trade.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton

Considering plenty of GMs have already addressed the media and fanbase, while ours continues to hide? Rangers season ends, and they immediately fired the coach. Islanders sucked ass, and their co owner immediately had a presser concerning the coach and GM. Chiarelli? On a honeymoon with Garth Snow probably.

Reactions: Aerrol

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The NHL should honestly mandate the GM has to speak in the day or 2 days after a season ends.

Letting this drag on into days where the playoffs are starting is stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad