Peter Chiarelli End Of Season Press Conference?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country
Chiarelli referenced a potential offer sheet as a reason for the Eberle trade in the summer, I think sometime shortly after he pulled the trigger. What is interesting is that, earlier in the summer, before he made the Eberle trade, when asked about a potential offer sheet for Draisaitl, Chiarelli seemed surprised at the proposition, as if he was caught off guard by the possibility of someone even considering sending an offer sheet.

But, like you said, later on he did reference that as a reason for the trade, and he was pretty definitive about it. I tend to think that one of two things happened: 1.) Chiarelli thought that an offer sheet was a really convenient reason for the trade, perhaps filling the gap of the more awkward and probably true reason of Eberle asking for a trade; 2.) someone really was planning on sending an offer sheet, perhaps telling Chiarelli that if he doesn't free up space, then they will offer sheet Draisaitl. Bear in mind there were whispers of a looming Draisaitl offer sheet before he signed his contract. (I seem to remember Montreal being mentioned as a candidate.)

Neither of these scenarios may be true, but I definitely noticed the discrepancy between Chiarelli's surprise at the possibility of an offer sheet to later citing it as a reason for making the Eberle trade.

Yes I recall during the summer his comments were basically he doesn't see offer sheets as a threat, and of the two scenarios you laid out, I would lean pretty heavily to the first (given the contradiction months later).

While Montreal or some team may have been circling, I don't know what real advantage being dismissive or quiet about it offered Chiarelli in the summer, if that was his play. Playing poker face might ward off further interest beyond Montreal's rumoured targeting? I don't know if that would have the desired effect, if a team was interested, they likely would have contacted Draisaitl's camp regardless.

What is concerning is that regardless of the truth, a strong trade piece like Eberle was ultimately a cap dump, which is atrocious asset management.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
We need a game here at HFOil where you make up the stupidest story you can think of and if it actually comes true you get.... well, nothing I guess.

But yeah Coffey is going to be hired.
The stupidest story of all time was Mactavish was going to be named GM. I would have bet money on him returning as coach but they one upped me. Hard to think of anything more ridiculous than that. Paul Coffey being hired as an assistant is stupid but it doesn’t move the needle on the dumb things this organization can do. Maybe they’ll surprise us again.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
Eh, I don't know about this. He was asked about a potential offersheet for Draisaitl in his SOTU presser after we got eliminated last year and said right then and there that it would be "purely inflationary" as he would just match anyway. They knew going into the summer that it was on the table and that other teams would likely at least consider the option.

He did of course site it as a reason for the Eberle trade later on but that's easily explained away as a bandaid excuse for an awful trade.

He did say that, but I think he was speaking extemporaneously in that case. Eventually he landed on the "purely inflationary" comment, but it seemed to me pretty obvious that an offer sheet was not something he had been thinking seriously about at that point.

Reactions: oXo Cube

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Chiarelli referenced a potential offer sheet as a reason for the Eberle trade in the summer, I think sometime shortly after he pulled the trigger. What is interesting is that, earlier in the summer, before he made the Eberle trade, when asked about a potential offer sheet for Draisaitl, Chiarelli seemed surprised at the proposition, as if he was caught off guard by the possibility of someone even considering sending an offer sheet.

But, like you said, later on he did reference that as a reason for the trade, and he was pretty definitive about it. I tend to think that one of two things happened: 1.) Chiarelli thought that an offer sheet was a really convenient reason for the trade, perhaps filling the gap of the more awkward and probably true reason of Eberle asking for a trade; 2.) someone really was planning on sending an offer sheet, perhaps telling Chiarelli that if he doesn't free up space, then they will offer sheet Draisaitl. Bear in mind there were whispers of a looming Draisaitl offer sheet before he signed his contract. (I seem to remember Montreal being mentioned as a candidate.)

Neither of these scenarios may be true, but I definitely noticed the discrepancy between Chiarelli's surprise at the possibility of an offer sheet to later citing it as a reason for making the Eberle trade.
Chiarell is all over the place with the words that come out of his mouth. He has no plan. At his end of the season/playoffs press conference last year he said he told the RFAs and UFAs that they would have to wait until the contracts for McDavid and Draisaitl were done. And then a month later, before McDavid had signed and about six or seven weeks before Leon's deal finally got done, he gave Kris Russell a stupid contract that took up valuable cap space.

Reactions: Aerrol

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
never understood why people argue about pineapple on a pizza.

I'd rather ague about green peppers on a pizza. even if you pick it off, that stuff has tainted the whole pizza. that's all you can taste. gross.
If I could, I’d give you a hundred likes for this post.

Reactions: Shibumi

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Stauffer made an odd comment ending Oilers Now. "You might see a puff of smoke coming from Rogers Place tomorrow". Don't think it means anything but doesn't that usually signify a change in higher up leadership occurring (ie: a new Pope)?

Last edited:
Reactions: Del Preston and A91

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
Stauffer made an odd comment ending Oilers Now. "You might see a puff of smoke coming from Rogers Place tomorrow". Don't think it means anything but doesn't that usually signify a change occurring?

Just said this in the other thread, but I think one of Chia or McLellan is getting fired, and that's why they're putting off the press conference. As much as everyone here wants to think that Chiarelli is a coward and is hiding from the media, that's absurd given that it wouldn't even be that difficult of a presser. Disappointing season, gonna reassess, yada yada. No one is running from that. Makes me think there are currently decisions being made on the staff. McLellan going to Saskatchewan might mean a meeting was delayed.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Stauffer made an odd comment ending Oilers Now. "You might see a puff of smoke coming from Rogers Place tomorrow". Don't think it means anything but doesn't that usually signify a change occurring (ie: a new Pope)?

Meh, we'll see.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
This is turning into a seinfeld episode: "They can't fire me if they can't find me."

Would us getting former Bruins buddy and current Canucks gm Jim Benning to fire Chia via skype be equivalent to Kramer breaking up with George on the girls behalf?

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Stauffer made an odd comment ending Oilers Now. "You might see a puff of smoke coming from Rogers Place tomorrow". Don't think it means anything but doesn't that usually signify a change occurring (ie: a new Pope)?

Now THAT little nugget is interesting. I’m guessing the reference is the pope thing. Could also be a smoke signals reference ie signs of change?

Love him or hate him no one is more plugged into the goings on with the Oilers than Stauffer.

My guess is either the assistant coaches are canned, Chia is canned, or Chia moves into a pure president of hockey ops role and they announce the search for a new GM, kind of like what Carolina did.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Now THAT little nugget is interesting. I’m guessing the reference is the pope thing. Could also be a smoke signals reference ie signs of change?

Love him or hate him no one is more plugged into the goings on with the Oilers than Stauffer.

My guess is either the assistant coaches are canned, Chia is canned, or Chia moves into a pure president of hockey ops role and they announce the search for a new GM, kind of like what Carolina did.

They can't even really "fire" the assistants, their contracts from what I understand are up (were three years in length). If it was meant to be a papal analogy, it almost certainly means the GM/POHO.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
never understood why people argue about pineapple on a pizza.

I'd rather ague about green peppers on a pizza. even if you pick it off, that stuff has tainted the whole pizza. that's all you can taste. gross.
Your taste buds are obviously very different from mine. Green peppers just taste like water. Very subtle flavor. Pineapple on the other hand is quite possibly the most flavorful fruit you can think of. Pineapple is a dominant flavor.

I get the sweet/salty thing with the ham, but keep that shit off my pizza.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Anyone remember maybe half way through the season when he was asked about the Eberle trade and gave some BS answer about it being done to account for Draisaitl offer sheets?

Don't expect anything but empty words, like most of his interviews. Even that question which was ripe for him to take accountability on, he side-stepped.

That still just drives me crazy. What did he really expect for an offer sheet. We've ended up with about $6M in cap space after bonuses. The Eberle trade only gave us 3.5 of that and Drai got 8.5 from Chia. So he actually handicapped the team for fear of an offer sheet of $11M. What an over-reaction. Absurd really.

And in some ways could you not argue that preemptively creating that space helped the argument for the agent to get higher value. If someone offer sheeted, they still could have matched and gone over the cap provided they got back under before puck drop.

Reactions: ToeMcDrag83

Panthera

Sep 25, 2017
So we're getting ourselves a new Oilers Pope. Unfortunately, the Pope is chosen from among the cardinals, which I think in our cases means it's guaranteed to be a 80s dynasty guy. I eagerly await our new religious systems play next year, we'll lose games but three days later watch out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad