Player Discussion Peter Cehlarik

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
He will be back up. No need to argue about it.
He's one of the better passers on the NHL club.

I dont know if Spooner will be traded or not. But I figure sooner or later Nash will be moved to fourth line, then Spooner will get dropped to 3rd line. That will make room for Cehlarik. A couple losses to MTL and this will happen sooner trather than later.

This is exactly right, and why I find this whole discussion hilarious. Cehlarik will certainly be back up. Spooner and Nash are both likely gone after this year, so the whining about PC not being in that spot at this moment is much ado about nothing, IMO.

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Just for fun, here is how the lines have stacked up together. I see a lot of people saying that PC over RS on that line would instantly make it better. The numbers are closer than one would think. Here is the stats for them as a line for even strength:

DeBrusk -- Krejci -- Ryan Spooner
TOI = 52.02 (5 GP)
CF% = 37%
GF/60 = 3.46
GA/60 = 1.15
oiSV% = .964

DeBrusk -- Krejci -- Peter Cehlarik
TOI = 38.02 (4 GP)
CF% = 44.6%
GF/60 = 4.73
GA/60 = 1.58
oiSV% = .954

So the difference is 14 minutes in TOI together. While the JD/DK/PC line has a better CF% and higher GF/60, the unit of JD/DK/RS has a better GA/60 and a higher oiSV%. The difference in the two lines is not enough to even make an argument that Cehlarik should be there over Spooner.

Reactions: LSCII

pineapplestastegood

Oct 4, 2017
I'm not emotional in the least. I just find your view to be misguided to a ridiculous level, and I believe it's motivated by a dislike for Spooner more than any actual belief in Cehlarik as a player. To that end, there's a better argument to be made that the team should trade DK and slot Spooner into his place because the production difference right now isn't nearly worth the extra money they're paying Krejci. And for the record, I am not suggesting this. What I am saying is that an argument like that makes more sense production-wise than suggesting PC be in that spot over Spooner, since Cehlarik hasn't really put up the points yet.
I've already admitted that it's a mixture of both a dislike for Spooner, and a belief in Cehlarik. It's both.

This constant blanket statement crap that Cehlarik is better than Spooner for that line and how that line is getting dominated reminds me of the 14-15 season when DK got hurt. Spooner filled in and played with Lucic and Pasta, and they were good offensively and had a lot of chemistry. Yet Claude hated that line with a passion. Always talked about how they got hemmed in (which if you recall that season, happened to a lot of lines and not just the one above), and couldn't wait to break them up. His belief was founded in nothing. The stats didn't back up his theory, yet he had it in his gut that it was true. It's just as ridiculous now as it was then. The team is rolling. The players are producing. Why would you mess that up at this point for a rookie that has all of 16 games played in this league?

It's baffling to me the **** some people get twisted over.
Those 20 or so games where Spooner played center on that line when Krejci was out is the best I've ever seen Spooner play. He has never gotten back to that level, even during his current hot streak. It's not all about points. Yes the points have to be there if you're playing top 6 minutes, but there are things that happen on the ice that do not show up on the statsheet. His belief wasn't founded in nothing.

I personally would mess it up for the rookie, but before you and I really started getting into it, I had already conceded that I understand why they hadn't, in this post. Maybe you just missed it:

Yeah they're on a crazy run right now, so I understand it. I just really feel like he's going to be part of whatever long term success this group has, so I want to get him in there as much as possible. His time will definitely come.

I agree. Spooner is not a "substance" player. While without doing much heavy lifting he may score a pt here and there.... He doesnt check no one, doesnt sacrifice his body in front of the net, hasnt figured out how to win battles on the board, is still so so defensively

When he is on the ice ... The Bruins are running around more vs having offensive zone time ...its due to the lack of some of things I listed above

Cehlarik is better for that 2nd line and his time is being wasted down at Providence

I hope the Bruins find a way to find Spooner a new home by the trade deadline.

Once Cehlarik is placed back with Debrusk, Krejci plus how the other lines are clicking.. this team is going to be even harder to play against
Agreed.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
i like cehlarik - good size, plays a good puck possession game. he did ok with krejci last year, but i wonder about his pace
at the NHL level. plus, there's a ridiculous glut of young bodies up there. cehlarik does have some great chemistry with
JFK, but i wonder if he's not a guy they'd dangle in a deal. i'd guess he's toward the top of that list.

Reactions: rocketdan9

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Yes I have seen a few Providence games ....both Bjork and Cehlarik have nothing to gain by playing down there

Also you have already seen Cehlarik play 5 games at the nhl level.... you know why he was sent down right? I wonder

We've seen him play 16 games in the NHL. He was sent down because we're already stacked up front, and he was coming off injury.

"Rocket Dan! Burning out his fuse up here alone!"

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Just for fun, here is how the lines have stacked up together. I see a lot of people saying that PC over RS on that line would instantly make it better. The numbers are closer than one would think. Here is the stats for them as a line for even strength:

TOI = 52.02 (5 GP)
CF% = 37%
GF/60 = 3.46
GA/60 = 1.15
oiSV% = .964

TOI = 38.02 (4 GP)
CF% = 44.6%
GF/60 = 4.73
GA/60 = 1.58
oiSV% = .954

So the difference is 14 minutes in TOI together. While the JD/DK/PC line has a better CF% and higher GF/60, the unit of JD/DK/RS has a better GA/60 and a higher oiSV%. The difference in the two lines is not enough to even make an argument that Cehlarik should be there over Spooner.

look at that GF difference....as well TIME at the offensive end Debrusk Krejci Cehlarik --> Debrusk Krejci Spooner

This tires opposing Ds, players out... very underrated stat that is important and effective

ask players who had to deal with Jagr vacationing at their end (though not putting up glamorous pt totals) for years

Reactions: pineapplestastegood

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
i like cehlarik - good size, plays a good puck possession game. he did ok with krejci last year, but i wonder about his pace
at the NHL level. plus, there's a ridiculous glut of young bodies up there. cehlarik does have some great chemistry with
JFK, but i wonder if he's not a guy they'd dangle in a deal. i'd guess he's toward the top of that list.
We are 100% in agreement here

I keep forgetting Donato. He could throw a career wrench into Cehlarik and many others

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009

I keep forgetting Donato. He could throw a career wrench into Cehlarik and many others

Next season talk :)

Frederic might surprise as well....

Cehlarik keeps getting buried down at the AHL level ...eventually he will wave goodbye...and that should be fun to see

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002

the 3 future equations i see right now:

JFK replaces nash
frederic replaces schaller
senyshyn replaces spooner

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Who in the Bruins lineup can make these passes? Not alot at the nhl level can ... I don't think you understand how skilled Celly is.

The problem is that with these videos, you've literally just shown half his NHL points. Sure he has skill, but it's not on display on a consistent enough basis to warrant being up here yet. It will be at some point, just not yet.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
The problem is that with these videos, you've literally just shown half his NHL points. Sure he has skill, but it's not on display on a consistent enough basis to warrant being up here yet. It will be at some point, just not yet.

It’s not just consistency, it’s health. Guy can’t seem to stay on the ice, skill or not.

Reactions: LSCII

Fopppa

Jan 3, 2009
i would play him over schaller.
then we could mix and match lines.

but i wouldnt wanna lose schaller on waivers. does he have to clear??
That is kinda the problem right now, isn't it? Cehlarik (and Bjork) doesn't have to clear waivers, and that's one of the reasons they're down in Prov and not (for instance) a guy like Vatrano that could sure use some games and confidence right now. Too much talent availible I guess, and it's a puzzle. But really a good problem to have.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Who in the Bruins lineup can make these passes? Not alot at the nhl level can ... I don't think you understand how skilled Celly is.

LOl...are you serious? While those were good passes, nothing about them screams " OMGZZZ, one of teh best passers on da BRUINZZZ " I've seen better passes from everyone on the current Bruins top 6 and some of their third line ( Heinen ) this season.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

TOI = 52.02 (5 GP)
CF% = 37%
GF/60 = 3.46
GA/60 = 1.15
oiSV% = .964

TOI = 38.02 (4 GP)
CF% = 44.6%
GF/60 = 4.73
GA/60 = 1.58
oiSV% = .954

Out scoring teams 3 to 1 while giving up 2/3rd of the shots is obviously not sustainable for DKS. This line seems to turtle and play defense when they lose the puck. They keep the play to the outside, but not enough ability to go win a battle and take it back. Krejci has always been better at keeping possession than getting possession. Spooner is obviously another guy that is reliant on others to get possession of the puck. DeBrusk isn't a problem here, but not the solution, either. They sure do nice things in the offensive zone, though. As currently constituted they sure do play defense a lot. And in a 7 game series someone will take advantage. I don't know if Cehlarik is the answer, but at some point I would like to see in a longer sample.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
LOl...are you serious? While those were good passes, nothing about them screams " OMGZZZ, one of teh best passers on da BRUINZZZ " I've seen better passes from everyone on the current Bruins top 6 and some of their third line ( Heinen ) this season.

show me some clips

How many times have you seen two Bruins this season execute a 2 on 1 , for a easy goal? can't remember

Pastrnak has some unorthodox/no look passes that are money

While Marchand and Bergeron may hit some no lookers, they usually tend to make the safer passes. Doesn't mean they are bad at it...but Cehlariks ability to pass through a forest of sticks makes him a real good one

Think about how difficult it is to lift a hard pass, through sticks and yet hit the receiving player

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
show me some clips

How many times have you seen two Bruins this season execute a 2 on 1 , for a easy goal? can't remember

Pastrnak has some unorthodox/no look passes that are money

While Marchand and Bergeron may hit some no lookers, they usually tend to make the safer passes. Doesn't mean they are bad at it...but Cehlariks ability to pass through a forest of sticks makes him a real good one

Think about how difficult it is to lift a hard pass, through sticks and yet hit the receiving player

Oh boy. Some people just really surprise me by how convinced they are about a topic that they shut down reality.

Marchand

DeBrusk

I could keep going, but there's really no point.

Last edited:

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Oh boy. Some people just really surprise me by how convinced they are about a topic that they shut down reality.

Marchand

DeBrusk

I could keep going, but there's really no point.

Not bad. Cehlariks is better tho

We can agree cehlarik can pass better than the bottom 6 players. I rather play him over Schaller. Drop nash to 4th, spooner to 3rd line center

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $365.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Norway vs Denmark
    Norway vs Denmark
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $209.00