Player Discussion Peter Cehlarik

pineapplestastegood

Oct 4, 2017
I have watched the games and he's been okay. Not great, not bad, but just okay. And regardless of whether you want to admit it or not, this game is about points because it's about scoring and creating goals. If you're a statistical non-starter, you are actually hurting your team. He clearly will benefit from more seasoning, which is why they have him where he is. If he were here on the bottom 6, your argument may have some truth to it because that's less about production and more about overall play, but as he'd be in the top 6 if he were still here, that's absolutely about production. And you cannot afford to have a player up there that's not producing. Which again, is why he's not there.
He has 2 points in 5 games this year, he's not some offensive black hole. His overall play leads me to believe that the points will be there as long as he's playing. They're on a ridiculous run right now, so it's not the end of the world that they're going with what's working, but it just kind of annoys me to see Ryan Spooner in there over him, even if Spooner has been good lately.

I like Cehlarik very much but at this time because of his age, recent injury, and unbelievable run the bruins are on with everyone playing extremely well there is simply no room for him. I feel for the kid because I believe had he not had the injury he would still be playing. Something will give between now and trade deadline, however, If I'm Sweeney I do absolutely nothing to disrupt this existing roster. They have incredible depth that can jump in at any time should injuries present themselves.
Yeah they're on a crazy run right now, so I understand it. I just really feel like he's going to be part of whatever long term success this group has, so I want to get him in there as much as possible. His time will definitely come.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
He has 2 points in 5 games this year, he's not some offensive black hole. His overall play leads me to believe that the points will be there as long as he's playing. They're on a ridiculous run right now, so it's not the end of the world that they're going with what's working, but it just kind of annoys me to see Ryan Spooner in there over him, even if Spooner has been good lately.

And 4 points in 16 games playing with Krejci (since that's where he played last year too). Meanwhile, the guy people continually say sucks in that spot has 13 points in 20 games. So why exactly are you still talking? I mean, it simply doesn't add up. Cehlarik has options and can go down. He needs seasoning and to work more on his game. He needs reps to continue to get better. So once more, why again are we still talking about this?

You arguing this like it's valid is literally agenda driven nonsense, imo. Spooner has grossly out produced the guy at this point (and that's not meant as a slight to PC), and there's no shame in a young guy going down to work on things while a more effective player gets those minutes.

What The Puck

Future GM
Feb 12, 2014
Northeast
The stats don't lie. PC has been outplayed and pushed down the depth chart by better players. There's no shame in that. It's the NHL, and you have to beat the best to be the best.

The team on the ice right now is looking like what our playoff team is going to be, unless there's some injury. One thing these guys need to do to differentiate themselves is develop a better shot. These overtime losses, I think there's a place on this team for players who can put one in during a shootout.

pineapplestastegood

Oct 4, 2017
And 4 points in 16 games playing with Krejci (since that's where he played last year too). Meanwhile, the guy people continually say sucks in that spot has 13 points in 20 games. So why exactly are you still talking? I mean, it simply doesn't add up. Cehlarik has options and can go down. He needs seasoning and to work more on his game. He needs reps to continue to get better. So once more, why again are we still talking about this?

You arguing this like it's valid is literally agenda driven nonsense, imo. Spooner has grossly out produced the guy at this point (and that's not meant as a slight to PC), and there's no shame in a young guy going down to work on things while a more effective player gets those minutes.
I really don't put much stock into his lack of production in the 16 games from last year, his first 16 games ever in the NHL. There is more to the game than points and he checks every single other box. The points will be there if he plays. Cehlarik is a much better hockey player than Ryan Spooner, even if Spooner has been pretty good lately.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I really don't put much stock into his lack of production in the 16 games from last year, his first 16 games ever in the NHL. There is more to the game than points and he checks every single other box. The points will be there if he plays. Cehlarik is a much better hockey player than Ryan Spooner, even if Spooner has been pretty good lately.

Even if you take the games from last year out, with this year's numbers, it's a .40 ppg rate for PC vs a .65 ppg rate for Spooner. That's the equivalent of a 33 point per year player as compared to a 53 point per year guy. And that's only if Cehlarik continued at that pace, which is a huge unknown given he has no track record to base it off of. Spooner we know can be a productive points guy, even if you dislike the style he plays.

I've already covered why points matter if you're playing in the top 6 vs bottom 6, so you can continue to say points don't matter, but in a top 6 role, scoring and points matte very much. In fact, it's one of the only things that matter when you're on one of those lines. If you were a grinder bottom 6 guy, then skating your lane and playing positional hockey matters more, but that's because the team isn't relying on your line to produce. Top 6, yeah you need to produce.

So again, not seeing how you justify your position. All I see is you talking about how you feel and passing it off as if it's true, when in reality, the guy you dislike is outproducing the guy you want by a large amount at this point in their careers. That may not always be the case, but right now, it absolutely is. Which is why PC is in the AHL working on improving his game. Simple as that. So again, why are you still talking? I don't get it. You have literally no leg to stand on other than how you feel, which is fine, but not anything factual like you seem to want people to believe.

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

pineapplestastegood

Oct 4, 2017
Even if you take the games from last year out, with this year's numbers, it's a .40 ppg rate for PC vs a .65 ppg rate for Spooner. That's the equivalent of a 33 point per year player as compared to a 53 point per year guy. And that's only if Cehlarik continued at that pace, which is a huge unknown given he has no track record to base it off of. Spooner we know can be a productive points guy, even if you dislike the style he plays.

So again, not seeing how you justify your position. All I see is you talking about how you feel and passing it off as if it's true, when in reality, the guy you dislike is outproducing the guy you want by a large amount at this point in their careers. That may not always be the case, but right now, it absolutely is. Which is why PC is in the AHL working on improving his game. Simple as that. So again, why are you still talking? I don't get it. You have literally no leg to stand on other than how you feel, which is fine, but not anything factual like you seem to want people to believe.
He's played 5 games, the "ppg rate" which is an idiotic thing to base your argument on in the first place, differential is minimal. He could have one good game and eclipse Spooner's ppg rate for this year, so why are you using that as the basis of your argument? It's worthless.

I'm not passing anything off as anything other than my opinion. The whole point of this forum is to give our opinions and debate stuff, that's why I'm still talking. Why are you?

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
He's played 5 games, the "ppg rate" which is an idiotic thing to base your argument on in the first place, differential is minimal.

I'm not passing anything off as anything other than my opinion. The whole point of this forum is to give our opinions and debate stuff, that's why I'm still talking. Why are you?

You're the one who brought up his points in the 5 games this year. I merely extrapolated it out to further illustrate how silly your argument is that Spooner isn't effective on that line. He is. You pouting about it after isn't going to change that.

pineapplestastegood

Oct 4, 2017
You're the one who brought up his points in the 5 games this year. I merely extrapolated it out to further illustrate how silly your argument is that Spooner isn't effective on that line. He is. You pouting about it after isn't going to change that.
I agree it's a small sample size, but it was also a small sample size last year when you said the points weren't there last year. I think ppg for him is a worthless stat right now. Cehlarik's overall play leads me to believe that the points will be there and the line will be better off if he is given the ice time. Nobody is pouting at all. You're the only one getting emotional about this.

Last edited:
Reactions: rocketdan9

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I agree it's a small sample size, but it was also a small sample size last year when you said the points weren't there last year. I think ppg for him is a worthless stat right now. Cehlarik's overall play leads me to believe that the points will be there and the line will be better off if he is given the ice time. Nobody is pouting at all. You're the only one getting emotional about this.

I'm not emotional in the least. I just find your view to be misguided to a ridiculous level, and I believe it's motivated by a dislike for Spooner more than any actual belief in Cehlarik as a player. To that end, there's a better argument to be made that the team should trade DK and slot Spooner into his place because the production difference right now isn't nearly worth the extra money they're paying Krejci. And for the record, I am not suggesting this. What I am saying is that an argument like that makes more sense production-wise than suggesting PC be in that spot over Spooner, since Cehlarik hasn't really put up the points yet.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009

I agree. Spooner is not a "substance" player. While without doing much heavy lifting he may score a pt here and there.... He doesnt check no one, doesnt sacrifice his body in front of the net, hasnt figured out how to win battles on the board, is still so so defensively

When he is on the ice ... The Bruins are running around more vs having offensive zone time ...its due to the lack of some of things I listed above

Cehlarik is better for that 2nd line and his time is being wasted down at Providence

I hope the Bruins find a way to find Spooner a new home by the trade deadline.

Once Cehlarik is placed back with Debrusk, Krejci plus how the other lines are clicking.. this team is going to be even harder to play against

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
the Krejci line has been getting absolutely dominated since Krejci came back so let's not pretend like Spooner has been outstanding or anything. They are pretty much failing as a unit despite chipping in some points here & there. There are certainly some parts of this lineup I wouldn't mess with as long as the team keeps winning, but the Krejci line is absolutely something I would tweak because it's just not working.

Reactions: veganbruin

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
the Krejci line has been getting absolutely dominated since Krejci came back so let's not pretend like Spooner has been outstanding or anything. They are pretty much failing as a unit despite chipping in some points here & there. There are certainly some parts of this lineup I wouldn't mess with as long as the team keeps winning, but the Krejci line is absolutely something I would tweak because it's just not working.

So wait, let me see if I understood your premise correctly. The line has been getting dominated since DK came back? So that's automatically Spooner's fault? Seems to me, the case could be made that it's on DK, no? :laugh:

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I agree. Spooner is not a "substance" player. While without doing much heavy lifting he may score a pt here and there.... He doesnt check no one, doesnt sacrifice his body in front of the net, hasnt figured out how to win battles on the board, is still so so defensively

When he is on the ice ... The Bruins are running around more vs having offensive zone time ...its due to the lack of some of things I listed above

Cehlarik is better for that 2nd line and his time is being wasted down at Providence

I hope the Bruins find a way to find Spooner a new home by the trade deadline.

Once Cehlarik is placed back with Debrusk, Krejci plus how the other lines are clicking.. this team is going to be even harder to play against

You and pineapple keep saying this, yet neither has offered anything up as proof other than your opinion. I've gone the stats route and that certainly doesn't back up your claim. So other than how you feel, what can you point to that shows us this is true? Do you have some magical advanced stat? Any clipped Fenwick or CORSI subset that proves anything other than what's obvious? :laugh:

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
This constant blanket statement crap that Cehlarik is better than Spooner for that line and how that line is getting dominated reminds me of the 14-15 season when DK got hurt. Spooner filled in and played with Lucic and Pasta, and they were good offensively and had a lot of chemistry. Yet Claude hated that line with a passion. Always talked about how they got hemmed in (which if you recall that season, happened to a lot of lines and not just the one above), and couldn't wait to break them up. His belief was founded in nothing. The stats didn't back up his theory, yet he had it in his gut that it was true. It's just as ridiculous now as it was then. The team is rolling. The players are producing. Why would you mess that up at this point for a rookie that has all of 16 games played in this league?

It's baffling to me the shit some people get twisted over.

Reactions: Tampbear and Estlin

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
This constant blanket statement crap that Cehlarik is better than Spooner for that line and how that line is getting dominated reminds me of the 14-15 season when DK got hurt. Spooner filled in and played with Lucic and Pasta, and they were good offensively and had a lot of chemistry. Yet Claude hated that line with a passion. Always talked about how they got hemmed in (which if you recall that season, happened to a lot of lines and not just the one above), and couldn't wait to break them up. His belief was founded in nothing. The stats didn't back up his theory, yet he had it in his gut that it was true. It's just as ridiculous now as it was then. The team is rolling. The players are producing. Why would you mess that up at this point for a rookie that has all of 16 games played in this league?

It's baffling to me the **** some people get twisted over.

if you took your Spooner fanboy limited collection glasses off, you would understand

remember when your boy Spooner was out.....and so were Marchand and Bergeron due to injuries? That Debrusk Krejci Cehlarik line was doing alot of the heavy lifting

That 1st Cehlarik Goal was on a two on one breakaway (with Debrusk). Same game Debrusk scored another due to the hardwork of keeping the pucking in the offensive zone by that line... Krejci scoring a few days later etc.

For 5 games or majority of the games Cehlarik was up....that line worked opposing ds hard.

I don't know how didn't you catch this

Reactions: pineapplestastegood

Square Hammer*

Jan 22, 2017
This conversation is ridiculous considering Spooner has elevated his game recently.

LSCII is right - some of you are out to lunch and arguing on behalf of a stupid agenda.

Reactions: LSCII

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
if you took your Spooner fanboy limited collection glasses off, you would understand

remember when your boy Spooner was out.....and so were Marchand and Bergeron due to injuries? That Debrusk Krejci Cehlarik line was doing alot of the heavy lifting

That 1st Cehlarik Goal was on a two on one breakaway (with Debrusk). Same game Debrusk scored another due to the hardwork of keeping the pucking in the offensive zone by that line... Krejci scoring a few days later etc.

For 5 games or majority of the games Cehlarik was up....that line worked opposing ds hard.

I don't know how didn't you catch this

Yes, this is simply a case of fanboy-ism. Unfortunately for you, it's not on my end. :laugh:

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
So wait, let me see if I understood your premise correctly. The line has been getting dominated since DK came back? So that's automatically Spooner's fault? Seems to me, the case could be made that it's on DK, no? :laugh:
where did I say it was Spooner's fault? and why does every single discussion with you not just end with sarcasm and condescension but actually begins with it. I didn't say anything inflammatory or attack you in any way and your very first reply was this smartass bullshit

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
He will be back up. No need to argue about it.
He's one of the better passers on the NHL club.

I dont know if Spooner will be traded or not. But I figure sooner or later Nash will be moved to fourth line, then Spooner will get dropped to 3rd line. That will make room for Cehlarik. A couple losses to MTL and this will happen sooner trather than later.

Reactions: LSCII

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
He will be back up. No need to argue about it.
He's one of the better passers on the NHL club.

I dont know if Spooner will be traded or not. But I figure sooner or later Nash will be moved to fourth line, then Spooner will get dropped to 3rd line. That will make room for Cehlarik. A couple losses to MTL and this will happen sooner trather than later.

How would that make room for Cehlarik? Unless they sit Schaller. Something I don't see happening.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
I was figuring Schaller. He would be my first to go. He's a 4th liner. A Kuraly-Nash-Accari line wouldnt be any different.
The second line however, would be better offensively.

someone who makes sense

My 1st option would be to trade Spooner as he has no future with this club... watch , he will be benched again in the playoffs

but as a 2nd option I would definitely inject Cehlarik back with that 2nd line, and drop Spooner/Nash down in the lineup

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
where did I say it was Spooner's fault? and why does every single discussion with you not just end with sarcasm and condescension but actually begins with it. I didn't say anything inflammatory or attack you in any way and your very first reply was this smartass bull****

What can I say, I gotta be me.... :laugh:

Russell, In all seriousness and without any intended sarcasm, you cannot be serious, can you? If you break down what you posted, in one breath you say that line has sucked since DK has come back and in the next you say don't pretend that Spooner has been outstanding. Do you not realize the inference and implications of how you phrased that? If you read it, it comes off as since DK has been back, the line has been bad, and that's because Spooner hasn't been good.

If I interpreted your view incorrectly, I apologize. It's simply the way it comes off in your post.

Bruinator

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Toronto
Wow this thread is entertainig. Lol The team has been practically unbeatable for a long while now. Since mid November they have scored the 3rd most goals in the league and given up the least. What possible motivation does the team have to make any changes, especially one where you bring up a young player who is still eligible to be sent down to the minors and work on his game and over crowd your roster so you now have to send Vatrano down and lose him for nothing and then put a veteren you are paying 2.5 mil and is performing reasonably well, in the press box. Come on guys, this isnt rocket science.

Reactions: Chief Nine

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad