Rumor: Perron extension, Yzerman listening on defensemen

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Agreed…With the team playing the way they are why mess with it?
I get that. But there’s a report/rumor/whatever that Yzerman was listening on some of his defensemen, soooo ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I get that. But there’s a report/rumor/whatever that Yzerman was listening on some of his defensemen, soooo ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Any GM worth his salt is LISTENING. They just have a price in mind that requires a lopsided win to pull the trigger.

The Debrincat trade took longer than expected but has been a major success. Hopefully Yzerman has something like that in mind, or just standing pat with a roster that's clicking.

Reactions: SoupNazi

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Any GM worth his salt is LISTENING. They just have a price in mind that requires a lopsided win to pull the trigger.

The Debrincat trade took longer than expected but has been a major success. Hopefully Yzerman has something like that in mind, or just standing pat with a roster that's clicking.
Really? Because there was a main board thread a couple days ago telling me how much he sucks.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Really? Because there was a main board thread a couple days ago telling me how much he sucks.
Let's spin the HFB Wheel-o-Nonsense! The choices include:
- Points per 60 of each player in the trade
- Debrincat is getting carried in Detroit (yet Ottawa somehow has a better roster)
- A declaration that no players under 5'10" can ever be successful
- Allegations of smoke and mirrors; the Wings will come crashing back to reality any day now

Am I doing this right?

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007

Well usually when it's reported that a GM is "listening" to offers on a player or players, it means more than just "I'm listening the same way I'll listen on any player, including Larkin and Seider." It usually means he has a bigger picture goal, and moving one of our D is a component of that. It likely means he has actively signaled to other GMs that these guys are available, depending on what return is desired/possible.

Of course, the report could be untrue, but assuming it's not, it's more than likely that Yzerman is shopping some of our dmen.

Reactions: Ricelund

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Who do they bench if they add another forward? Or maybe they're upgrading Veleno?

I imagine a Veleno, Fabbri type could be moved with other assets to upgrade at forward potentially.

A dman with grit makes sense. If you can get a tough d man that could bump Petry down a pair, that D doesnt look too bad going into playoffs. I have no idea who that might be but I like the idea

Reactions: sepster

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
I imagine a Veleno, Fabbri type could be moved with other assets to upgrade at forward potentially.

A dman with grit makes sense. If you can get a tough d man that could bump Petry down a pair, that D doesnt look too bad going into playoffs. I have no idea who that might be but I like the idea

Tanev would be that guy, as there aren't many RDs on the market.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Tanev would be that guy, as there aren't many RDs on the market.
With where we are in our build, I would much rather stand pat or go all in going after Rasmus Andersson than handing over a haul for Tanev. It's the mushy middle that won't have near enough impact to justify the cost. It's like Tampa trading an entire draft class for Tanner Jeannot. We aren't at the point where we think a Tanner Jeannot or a Chris Tanev is the make it or break it piece. We need that Sergachev or McDonagh move first.

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
With where we are in our build, I would much rather stand pat or go all in going after Rasmus Andersson than handing over a haul for Tanev. It's the mushy middle that won't have near enough impact to justify the cost. It's like Tampa trading an entire draft class for Tanner Jeannot. We aren't at the point where we think a Tanner Jeannot or a Chris Tanev is the make it or break it piece. We need that Sergachev or McDonagh move first.
Yeah definitely agree there. I don't want to give up assets for rentals. I don't want to give any up for old players either.

Let's see what this group can do, and evaluate in the off season.

Reactions: FMichael

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I don’t think Tanev will cost anything I’d consider a “haul”.

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
No. No to all of these trade suggestions.

No, don't trade Perron, a physical puck retriever with considerable playoff experience who's built for the whistle-in-the-pocket playoffs now, for a second round pick or less. (Unless some crazy GM offers you a better version of the same player -- but that's pretty unlikely, isn't it?)

No, don't trade Ghost Bear, when our PP is clicking at a rate that might dissuade teams from taking liberties. (Unless some crazy GM offers you a first rounder. Because Walman is serviceable in that PP role. But again: That's not going to happen.)

No, don't trade reliable defensive d-men like Maatta or Chiarot just before the playoffs for mid-round picks. No, of course not, do not trade Walman, a core piece.
Only trade Maatta in a package for a core defenseman returning.

Ghost Bear is at the point where he is almost single-handedly losing us games.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Only trade Maatta in a package for a core defenseman returning.

Ghost Bear is at the point where he is almost single-handedly losing us games.
I don't think it's a coincidence that as overall team defense has been more properly executed, Maatta appears to be playing better and Ghostisbehere appears to be playing worse.

The style of the 20 guys around them has shifted closer to the wheelhouse of the former and away from the strengths of the latter.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I'm expecting some +35 player becoming the "next Cleary". And based on these extension rumours, that could be David Perron.

When we'll start pushing against the cap, proably from next season and so on, at off-season you don't know how much money you have to use on free agency. For RFAs, you have some quite clear estimates, but the numbers aren't locked.

You need a player to sign last, to make the final total caphit fit in a perfect way. +35 contract can be fixed with bonuses, but you don't the share.

A dedicated and loyal vet like Perron could be it. If the last final number number to sign is 1.7M, he will get that. If it's 1.3M, he will get that etc. Rest on bonuses.

I see him as an important leader at the lockerroom right now. They have started talking more and more about it. He is demanding, but fair and good example, helping the younger guys to right pro way. And is keeping up the team spirit on bad moments. We have heard how there was this team struggles, but it was Perron who never surrendered after a bad game and told to guys keep going.

Usually these are guys who play few years, and then will get a job on front-office. Perron is on that way. He could be already planning on that career path, and those guys are ready to take less, than leave on the ice. That's important too under the cap.

I was letting him walk for sure at off-season. But now, it depends of the price. He has regressed, but if he is cheap at next season, he could be the perfect bench veteran 13th forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00