Rumor: Perron extension, Yzerman listening on defensemen

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
If Kane keeps up PPG and stays healthy he can ask for 6+ million on the open market. Decent chance he's not a Wing next year, as much as I'd like to keep him.
I don't think it's about money or ring chasing for Kane at this point in his career. Detroit's well known for treating their players very well, especially veterans. Geographically, it's right between Chicago and Buffalo. They're a team on the upswing. I'd bet money on him extending in Detroit. There was a reason he picked them in the first place.

I'd bet he signs for two more years at somewhere between $4.5-5.5M per.

why not just trade maatta and ghost...

norrisnick said ghost to tampa which actually does make some sense. Then trade maatta in a package for hanifin (might be tanev unfortunately, but not terrible to be fair). Then you can bring up edvinsson or aljo and whoever you just traded for.
You really think Yzerman will reconfigure the whole defense right before the playoffs? I can't see it.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Kane has made 115 million dollars in his career. I'd guess at this point he would be willing to take less to help the team out rather than getting the most $$$. Heck, I bet he had higher offers than he signed with Detroit for.

Kane will know that taking those 10.5M contracts with Toews did end their Cup window at Chicago. That's the last thing any smart guy would like to do.

Don't kill your team chances.

It's crazy. You get your market value deal as an individual, and that kills your chance of success.

I'm pretty much sure, that Kane will like to extend, but for a bargain, because he will want that competitive edge. That's what smart veterans will do and no wonder Yzerman is there after him, and suggesting the same playbook.

Same already happened with Perron. Everybody should look how good Perron was on the year before UFA. And Stevie got him with low-ball offer.

Stevie is now creating that Tampa cap-killing environment to Detroit. It's not the taxes, it's not the climate. He'll find a way. Everyone is gonna take less than expected, one way or another.

At some point we will ice 100M real valued team with only 85M real caphits, and that will win Cup. Just like it goes nowadays.

Last edited:

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
You really think Yzerman will reconfigure the whole defense right before the playoffs? I can't see it.
I think it is a lot more possible than you think it is because maatta has no long-term business here and neither does ghost. Trading for hanifin does (presumably signed) and bring up aljo/edvinsson does.

We are not competing for a cup this year. We will make the playoffs if we trade for hanifin and delete maatta and ghost. We will make the playoffs if we just stand pat as well. But if we want to compete next year for the conference finals/cup, then making that move now while maatta has some trade value and ghost helping someone's powerplay, it would be the exact thing yzerman would do.

There is absolutely no way yzerman thinks we are going for the cup this year. He barely wants us thinking playoffs. He would 100% make those moves to improve the defense dramatically for the future rather than a quick fix. I don't see us keeping ghost, and with him being on a 1 year deal, he is definitely gone.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
why not just trade maatta and ghost...

norrisnick said ghost to tampa which actually does make some sense. Then trade maatta in a package for hanifin (might be tanev unfortunately, but not terrible to be fair). Then you can bring up edvinsson or aljo and whoever you just traded for.

I honestly believe Holl is going to be traded for a pick or prospect at the deadline to a wide variety of teams. Holl can go to a potential playoff contender as a serviceable 7th d that could possibly be needed because another D got injured and they may need that option, or to a team like calgary that has no D prospects, is going to be extremely thin on the blue line after tanev/hanifin are potentially dealt (even andersson, never know). So they need D going back.

maatta + holl + 1st + prospect for hanifin would probably get the deal done. It isn't sexy by any means, but it helps them with getting two stabilized defenseman for at least 1-2 more years to push the can down the road, of which seems like that's what they want to do instead of doing an actual rebuild.

Sheesh man you expect me to take something like that seriously. I'm sure you've got good points but after that statement I just quit reading.

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
I think it is easier to trade Holl or Maatta now instead of waiting until the off season. In the off season, UFAs will be available and teams won't be as desperate. As for the contract for Holl, he only has two seasons left after this one, so it is should be easy enough to find a suitor looking for that extra depth or help on the PK going into the post season.

If you wait until the off season, teams won't be as interested in giving up assets for something they can find in free agency.

Reactions: norrisnick

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
I think it is easier to trade Holl or Maatta now instead of waiting until the off season. In the off season, UFAs will be available and teams won't be as desperate. As for the contract for Holl, he only has two seasons left after this one, so it is should be easy enough to find a suitor looking for that extra depth or help on the PK going into the post season.

If you wait until the off season, teams won't be as interested in giving up assets for something they can find in free agency.
I think if you are moving holl you are gonna have to retain some salary

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
Sheesh man you expect me to take something like that seriously. I'm sure you've got good points but after that statement I just quit reading.
look man, idk if you were there or not but i had a do-da-do where I wholeheartedly agreed with norrisnick on something (can't quite remember what it was) and it was on the other side of the argument of @OgeeOgelthorpe. It was the first time in history this has ever happened as I usually think the same way as ogee. Needless to say, I lived long enough to realize that I became the villain. @Oddbob was in complete dismay during the entire interaction as well.

I am recovering and trying my best but stockholm syndrome really stays with you for awhile.

TheOctopusKid

Sep 24, 2010
look man, idk if you were there or not but i had a do-da-do where I wholeheartedly agreed with norrisnick on something (can't quite remember what it was) and it was on the other side of the argument of @OgeeOgelthorpe. It was the first time in history this has ever happened as I usually think the same way as ogee. Needless to say, I lived long enough to realize that I became the villain. @Oddbob was in complete dismay during the entire interaction as well.

I am recovering and trying my best but stockholm syndrome really stays with you for awhile.
I feel you, I found myself arguing with @Gniwder and I still haven’t emotionally recovered yet

• Wow
Reactions: Detroit Knights

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
Welcome to the club.

If the nurse let's me outside this afternoon we can go yell at more clouds.
you haven't gotten out yet?

idk if i can hang out with ones that don't know how to get out...may ruin my street cred with the Altocumulus'.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
STFU, Sanguinet...

No, but, I totally forgot about the NTC... Hooray. How the hell did he get that?

In retrospect I gave Holland too much crap for his handing out NTCs to everyone because it seems like most GMs have to for players with any leverage. Especially guys who have families.

As I said in another thread, with the cap there aren't a lot of tools GMs have to lure players and reduce AAV. NTC's are one of them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad