Rumor: Perron extension, Yzerman listening on defensemen

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Yeah I guess top 20 in points and top 10 in PP points isn't enough.

Makar or bust... ( he's only got 5 more PP points than Gostisbehere, Victor Hedman has 2 more, Roman Josi has less PP points... )

Hating a little much on the guy imo for a dude QBing a top 10 PP in the league.

It's not that. There could be a little pp regression. But Ghost could pull a first or a second round pick pretty easy given that he is top 4 capable if paired with a steady defensive d man partner to a playoff team. Maata would be more a third rounder back to us but he is defensively stable so he would be better to keep for a playoff run. Holl I think with 2 year's remaining wouldn't garner a top 3 round pick so it would be better to wait till next year to deal.

Reactions: Geezer WC

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Ohhh... so the pick is what matters than actually trying to win now, cause tell yourself as many times as you need to beleive youserlf... but saying Olli Maatta will help this team win more games now or in the playoffs than Shayne Gotisbehere is a big, big stretch.

Not to mention he said... Edvinsson would be brought up for Gostisbehere resulting in a net plus, and Edvinsson will not replace his production on the PP.

Edvinsson could replace Olli Maatta, 5on5, PK, 3rd pairing defender... anything. He's a better player than Maatta right now, where it's a long reach to suggest Edvinsson is going walk in the league and be a better PP producer than Gostisbehere.

Pick will be so low we'll be lucky if the player is up in time to even help us win a playoff game in the next 2/4 years.

We trying to make the playoffs/win a playoff series or people still obsessed with their Xbox and drafting?

Reactions: DamonDRW

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
It's not that. There could be a little pp regression. But Ghost could pull a first or a second round pick pretty easy given that he is top 4 capable if paired with a steady defensive d man partner to a playoff team. Maata would be more a third rounder back to us but he is defensively stable so he would be better to keep for a playoff run. Holl I think with 2 year's remaining wouldn't garner a top 3 round pick so it would be better to wait till next year to deal.

Ghost could get a 1st or 2nd rounder but the team would improve by replacing his 19 minutes a night with a rookie who has 11 career NHL games under his belt?

It seems unlikely both of those can be true.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Ghost could get a 1st or 2nd rounder but the team would improve by replacing his 19 minutes a night with a rookie who has 11 career NHL games under his belt?

It seems unlikely both of those can be true.
Nick Leddy played some of the most uninspiring shit hockey I’ve seen in his 6 months here, and someone was willing to give us a 2nd round pick and Walman for him, and I don’t think we got any worse after moving him.

Teams do silly things at the deadline every year. Some team might look at Ghost and his history of putting up points and think it’s what they are missing right now. Some other teams (like Tampa) might be able to insulate him more at even strength than we can right no.

As much as I am bagging on him for being what I believe is a net negative asset for us right now, I do think it’s possible he could be a positive for someone else in a different environment. I just don’t expect him to be that for us down the stretch, so I would look at shopping him and give my best sales pitch.

Last edited:

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
lol

so he is so damn secretive that he is going to tell emily kaplan? No not at all because later in this quote she says that he "believes" and "it sounds like" making it all the more clear that this entire story was what she feels like the situation is.

Yeah she brings up sources around the league (won't say exactly of course) but how many times have people said "sources say" when they don't even know themselves! If yzerman is so secretive, how is there other sources around the league?!? What because someone called him a month ago asking if perron was available and yzerman said what do you want to trade me for him? That is called listening to offers on non-core players lol.
Look at that, I get source policed even when I post a rumor from a legitimate source.

The Suter call still burns me to this day...

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I hope we aren't keeping Perron. He is slow and useless most of the time. He had a great start last season, but I see low effort from him away from the puck most of the time anymore and have really soured on him.

Reactions: PenskyMaterial

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA

If you don't know that he was traded for a third LAST SEASON then you really shouldn't be evaluating trade value. It also implies you didn't even look at his career stats, lol. He hasn't done jack shit in playoffs.

Since I've already mentioned the trade like 6 times this season, now I'm gonna yell and make sure everyone remembers.

GHOST WAS TRADED FOR A THIRD LAST SEASON!!!!

OK, now I'm done.... breathe.... breathe

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
If you don't know that he was traded for a third LAST SEASON then you really shouldn't be evaluating trade value. It also implies you didn't even look at his career stats, lol. He hasn't done jack shit in playoffs.

Since I've already mentioned the trade like 6 times this season, now I'm gonna yell and make sure everyone remembers.

GHOST WAS TRADED FOR A THIRD LAST SEASON!!!!

OK, now I'm done.... breathe.... breathe

Last year he was thought to be on the way outta the league soon. What he has done this year is prove he can be a 40'sh point 2nd pair offensive d man again. So there I'd a higher chance he can retain a first or second rounder back in compensation.

Value is not static. It can vary year to year. If he is the premier offensive d on the block this deadline he will garner a top two round pick mouth breather.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Nick Leddy played some of the most uninspiring shit hockey I’ve seen in his 6 months here, and someone was willing to give us a 2nd round pick and Walman for him, and I don’t think we got any worse after moving him.

Teams do silly things at the deadline every year. Some team might look at Ghost and his history of putting up points and think it’s what they are missing right now. Some other teams (like Tampa) might be able to insulate him more at even strength than we can right no.

As much as I am bagging on him for being what I believe is a net negative asset for us right now, I do think it’s possible he could be a positive for someone else in a different environment. I just don’t expect him to be that for us down the stretch, so I would look at shopping him and give my best sales pitch.

I don't remember leading the wild card for a playoff spot though when the trade was made.

Pretty sure Red Wings were if not the worst team in the league.

Idk how they're similar other than you want to pretend they are so selling Gostisbehere in the middle of a playoff chase doesn't sound bad. You've said many times Wings would be better without and it's almost no way that happens. PP would clearly get worst and Wings rely on goals not defensive prowess. They're 20th in goals against and 6th for goals for per game.

Circle back to Ollie Maatta... sure he's plus 13... it's just a stat... he also ONLY plays 5on5 hockey. Barley any PK and nothing on the PP. Averages just a pinch over 5 mins a period. This is a role Edvinsson can walk into and actually be better in every way. Ollie Maatta is a guy Wings can move for a tootsie roll, bring up Edvinsson and be a better team for it. Gostisbehere is not that guy, the PP is one of the reasons Wings are where they are. I'd argue anyone brought in to replace Gostisbehere won't do as good of a job on the PP for the rest of this season.

Leddy wasn't one of the main cogs manning one of the top special teams' units in the league for a playoff team.

We're not even in the same realm anymore.

Any move, even selling Gostisbehere needs to be about making the playoffs and winning playoff games now. Selling for picks... man.

Literally in the middle of a playoff chase and people wanna sell. You guys actually deserve to watch the Pistons. Constantly.

Last edited:

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I don't think being in a playoff hunt will keep Yzerman from trading someone out if he sees us getting the better end of the deal, and that we can compensate for the piece being moved. Will he see us getting a net positive moving a D out and bringing up Ed? I don't know. But I do know that he did trade people out in years Tampa was making the playoffs and got picks/prospects back.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
I don't think being in a playoff hunt will keep Yzerman from trading someone out if he sees us getting the better end of the deal, and that we can compensate for the piece being moved. Will he see us getting a net positive moving a D out and bringing up Ed? I don't know. But I do know that he did trade people out in years Tampa was making the playoffs and got picks/prospects back.
I can see SY moving someone out..but it won't be someone with an impact in the lockeroom.

He will not cut the knees out from under the team has they fight for their 1st playoff spot in a almost a decade

Last edited:
Reactions: SoupNazi

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I can see SY moving someone out..but it won't be someone with an impact in the lockeroom.

He will not the the knees out from under the team has they fight for their 1st playoff spot in a almost a decade

I agree. I also don't think Perron is a guy other teams will overpay for. My comment was more directed at the idea of Ghost being dealt. While I don't think someone will pay a 1st for him, I can also see situations that would encourage teams to make that deal.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018

Like who honestly?

Idk a shining example...

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
I agree. I also don't think Perron is a guy other teams will overpay for. My comment was more directed at the idea of Ghost being dealt. While I don't think someone will pay a 1st for him, I can also see situations that would encourage teams to make that deal.
See i believe ghost is probably a well respected vet in that room..

I could see a Veleno or Holl dealt and maybe...maybe a Fabbri or Maata insofar as actual roster players

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I don't remember leading the wild card for a playoff spot though when the trade was made.

Pretty sure Red Wings were if not the worst team in the league.

Idk how they're similar other than you want to pretend they are so selling Gostisbehere in the middle of a playoff chase doesn't sound bad. You've said many times Wings would be better without and it's almost no way that happens. PP would clearly get worst and Wings rely on goals not defensive prowess. They're 20th in goals against and 6th for goals for per game.

Circle back to Ollie Maatta... sure he's plus 13... it's just a stat... he also ONLY plays 5on5 hockey. Barley any PK and nothing on the PP. Averages just a pinch over 5 mins a period. This is a role Edvinsson can walk into and actually be better in every way. Ollie Maatta is a guy Wings can move for a tootsie roll, bring up Edvinsson and be a better team for it. Gostisbehere is not that guy, the PP is one of the reasons Wings are where they are. I'd argue anyone brought in to replace Gostisbehere won't do as good of a job on the PP for the rest of this season.

Leddy wasn't one of the main cogs manning one of the top special teams' units in the league for a playoff team.

We're not even in the same realm anymore.

Any move, even selling Gostisbehere needs to be about making the playoffs and winning playoff games now. Selling for picks... man.

Literally in the middle of a playoff chase and people wanna sell. You guys actually deserve to watch the Pistons. Constantly.
Just FYI, Ghost has not scored a goal on then power play since October. He’s not doing anything impossible to replicate on the power play right now. And he’s had games where he absolutely costs us in his own end.

Reactions: norrisnick

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
Just FYI, Ghost has not scored a goal on then power play since October. He’s not doing anything impossible to replicate on the power play right now. And he’s had games where he absolutely costs us in his own end.
Just because he hasn’t scored on the PP doesn’t mean he’s not good on it. Ghost is one of the better PP qb’s in the league

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
He's literally better than everyone on this roster at setting up the play on the back end. This is where you are really, really underestimating him. It is unreplaceable,(right now), He's part of the reason why our PP in a year went from bottom half(17th) to top 10(tied for 6th*).

Just this last game vs the Av's he's the reason it got tied with Perron/Larkin.

An you specially cherry-picked goals because he's got 20 assists on the PP out of 37 total points, it's cause he handles the puck on the back end a lot cycling it down low or to wingers. He doesn't even shoot a lot, with 38 total for the year on the PP so it's not a wonder.

For a team that wins by out scoring teams... the analogy would be you're cutting your nose off to save face over a pimple on it. You look better without the pimple but you've lost your nose!

OneMoreTry

Sep 26, 2021
Maatta, Holl, and Ghost should all be guys Yzerman is listening on. None are so bad that he should be working just to jettison them, but if you're ready to plug Ed in, the first two wouldn't be missed. The third, Ghost, is a little trickier, but frankly his offense is a bit overrated, and I question how much value he'll provide in the playoffs.

I don't get why Maatta always gets mentioned in this context. He's the only guy out of that group (Holl, Ghost, Chiarot, Petry) that should be kept, imo. He should rather be extended, at that salary he gets this season. The other 4 guys are all getting more money, which is just hilarious.

He's so defensively sound, makes so few mistakes - it's not by accident that he leads the team in plus/minus. Same story as Ras, for example. Yes, a few brainfarts here and there, that drive you nuts and kinda distort the overall impression - but that's the kind of players you want on a playoff team.

Ghost meanwhile.. he is like walking towards a house and when you are close enough you realize, you're in a movie setting. That it is just a front, and no real house behind. I'd sell the guy at the deadline if I were SY.

Put Mo on PP1, Walman on PP2 (or the other way around, whichever works better), move Ed up and be better overall.

Plus, right now, we are at a point where we probably shouldn't just sell for a pick. Rather take Ghost + prospect(s) + pick(s) to get a real upgrade on D.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Ollie Maata plays no special teams, has the same number of giveaways as Gostisbehere.

Jeff Petry has played more PK this year than Maatta.

I'm just gonna stop. Idc. I know Yzermans not trading his PP spcailist so, whatever have fun in fantasy land. Wasted too much effort already trying to change minds on an internet forum... :huh::help:

OneMoreTry

Sep 26, 2021
Ollie Maata plays no special teams, has the same number of giveaways as Gostisbehere.

I gotta ask.. you really think, that's an argument "pro" Ghost? They actually have the same (even strength) ice time, and Ghost is such a black hole on D to be -19 of 5on5 per game, while Maatta is +13?

Edit: Corrected a mistake.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad