Rumor: Perron extension, Yzerman listening on defensemen

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Maatta, Holl, and Ghost should all be guys Yzerman is listening on. None are so bad that he should be working just to jettison them, but if you're ready to plug Ed in, the first two wouldn't be missed. The third, Ghost, is a little trickier, but frankly his offense is a bit overrated, and I question how much value he'll provide in the playoffs.

Last edited:

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
I get that Walman is a good, young, mobile defenseman but I wouldn't be so attached to him that I wouldn't listen for the right offers. You'd have your work cut out for you to fill the hole he leaves but if there's an opportunity to cash in on a trade, why not?

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
I get that Walman is a good, young, mobile defenseman but I wouldn't be so attached to him that I wouldn't listen for the right offers. You'd have your work cut out for you to fill the hole he leaves but if there's an opportunity to cash in on a trade, why not?
Why on earth would they trade walman? Just idiotic

Reactions: WaW and Gniwder

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Why not? You answered your own question.
You'd have your work cut out for you to fill the hole he leaves
He's on a great contract. No need to ship him out. No team is going to pay more than what hes worth here.

Reactions: WaW and SoupNazi

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA

Who's gonna play on the top pair with Mo? Ghost? Matta? Chiarot? (The last one made me puke in my mouth.)

I'd like to see Ed on the team but he isn't ready for first pair D yet.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
Absolutely, yes. Have you been watching Chiarot play this season?

This is a particularly oddly timed comment after Chiarot playing what was probably his best game of the season last night.
its that last season's taste that is still lingering. need to get some Listerine to fix it

Why not just have edvinsson play up there and have hanifin anchor the second pairing and you have a top 2 pairing as lethal as they can come. 🤷‍♂️

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
its that last season's taste that is still lingering. need to get some Listerine to fix it

Why not just have edvinsson play up there and have hanifin anchor the second pairing and you have a top 2 pairing as lethal as they can come. 🤷‍♂️

I could see the future build on Hanifin - Edvinsson - Walman on the left side.

That's pretty damn good - maybe NHL best group if you think Norris-Seider is DOMINATING on the right side. And then Pellikka will arrive... more skill skill skill.

You can trade all the other LhD shit to make that happen.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Maatta, Holl, and Ghost should all be guys Yzerman is listening on. None are so bad that he should be working just to jettison them, but if you're ready to plug Ed in, the first two wouldn't be missed. The third, Ghost, is a little trickier, but frankly his offense is a bit overrated, and I question how much value he'll provide in the playoffs.

I'd prefer him to keep Maata, but deal Ghost for assets then bring Edvinsson up, and see if there are takers for Holl but doubtful until next year's deadline. At one year left at next year's deadline a team needing a vet d for depth could bite then on Holl.

The Flying Octopus

Sep 18, 2017
Bloomfield Hills, MI
Ghost is a defensive train wreck who gets easy offensive zone starts all day and still struggles. So.

i-think-you-should-leave-tim-robinson.gif
Don’t buy your argument. Clearly.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Top ten power play in the league...

Not sure it's wise to deal the guy manning one of the units for a rookie to replace him walking into a playoff chase/possible berth.

Maatta is the easy out if you want Edvinsson up, which, he is already better than Maatta.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
I think never giving Berg a chance would be a terrible mistake. Perron is useless 5 on 5 and we have plenty of wingers who can take his spot on the power play. I doubt he's dealt because of our current playoff spot, but re-signing him would be a huge mistake imo.

Reactions: 14ari13 and DoMakc

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Yeah I feel like dealing Perron was a potential move after December and then January happened. I'd be very shocked if he was dealt now unless we spiraled and fell way out of the race in the next week. I could also see an extension for Perron if he was willing to come in cheaper for another year. To be clear this isn't my preference (skating has fallen off too much) but I could see it happening.

As for the Dmen we really have two guys in Walman (unless we are doing a major upgrade) and Seider that should be off the block. Chia has played well enough that again unless its for an upgrade dealing him would be a hit for our playoff contention. Everyone else is probably equal or worse than Ed.

Stevie needs to free up cap space and roster space next year and he is way more likely to be able to deal one of Maata, Petry, or Holl at the deadline then in the off season. They have term and aren't on great deals but a team might be desperate.

Ghost has really fallen off his play since the first couple of months of the season and but someone needing offense may be willing to overpay. I see zero possibility of him being re-signed so I'm not against dealing him if Stevie gets a good price. Dealing him for a 3rd makes zero sense though.
Dealing a guy on an expiring deal who has given us nothing in the one area he’s supposed to be good at for weeks for a 3rd round pick makes zero sense? How?

I’d trade Ghost for a 3rd or 4th tomorrow at this point, and call up Edvinsson the next day. And I think we would be a better team for it in pretty short order.

So you’d rather have Chariot over Ghost ?!?

Hahahah oooookkkkaaayyy
A million percent, yes

(And I’m a guy who generally favors offensive defenseman and can deal with some flaws)

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Dealing a guy on an expiring deal who has given us nothing in the one area he’s supposed to be good at for weeks for a 3rd round pick makes zero sense? How?

I’d trade Ghost for a 3rd or 4th tomorrow at this point, and call up Edvinsson the next day. And I think we would be a better team for it in pretty short order.

A million percent, yes

(And I’m a guy who generally favors offensive defenseman and can deal with some flaws)
Yeah I guess top 20 in points and top 10 in PP points isn't enough.

Makar or bust... ( he's only got 5 more PP points than Gostisbehere, Victor Hedman has 2 more, Roman Josi has less PP points... )

Hating a little much on the guy imo for a dude QBing a top 10 PP in the league.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002

A million percent, yes

I don't think dealing Ghost for a 3rd sends the right message to the team. At least if that is the only move. If you use those assets to improve the team at the deadline that is different. Mise well keep him as injury depth at that point and still plan to call up Ed.

We could always waive Holl and hope someone takes him and call Ed up.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I don't think dealing Ghost for a 3rd sends the right message to the team. At least if that is the only move. If you use those assets to improve the team at the deadline that is different. Mise well keep him as injury depth at that point and still plan to call up Ed.

We could always waive Holl and hope someone takes him and call Ed up.
Calling up Edvinsson could be a great boost for the team right now.

I think ghost is lucky his ass is not in the press box with how he’s played these last few weeks.

If some team wants to give us an asset for a guy playing like crap because of what he’s done previously like St Louis did for Leddy a few years ago, I’m all for it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad