Rumor: Perron extension, Yzerman listening on defensemen

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
Emily Kaplan/ESPN:

STEVE YZERMAN IS perhaps the most secretive general manager in the league. He won't even publicly (and for all I know privately) put a timeframe on the Red Wings' rebuild. However, in talking to sources around the league, it sounds like Yzerman is focused on making the playoffs this season, capitalizing on a strong first half.

Coach Derek Lalonde had told me what a gut punch it was for the players at this time last season when management decided yet again to collect for the future, trading away Tyler Bertuzzi, Filip Hronek, Oskar Sundqvist and Jakub Vrana. I was surprised, then, a few weeks ago when I heard that David Perron, a pending UFA and an emotional leader in the locker room, was potentially on the move. I do think there were legitimate discussions about trading Perron, but they have since quieted. In fact, I believe a contract extension for Perron could be in play either right before or after the March 8 deadline. If it doesn't get done, don't be surprised if they re-engage over the summer on a potential new contract in Detroit. That said, Yzerman has been listening to offers on his defensemen

Reactions: David D and wings95

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
I take anything on ESPN with a HUGE grain of salt, but it is interesting.

I would be shocked if they moved Perron before the deadline. He won't bring a lot in return and while I think it's an overused excuse he really does seem to be here for his leadership and mentorship. Even he talks about it and seems to look on his time here as paying it forward for the guys that helped him early in his career.

In terms of Dmen I wouldn't want anyone moved other than Holl, and maybe Ghost. But even Ghost is risky as they fight to make the playoffs.

GarlicbreadTB

Apr 16, 2015

I would be shocked if they moved Perron before the deadline. He won't bring a lot in return and while I think it's an overused excuse he really does seem to be here for his leadership and mentorship. Even he talks about it and seems to look on his time here as paying it forward for the guys that helped him early in his career.

In terms of Dmen I wouldn't want anyone moved other than Holl, and maybe Ghost. But even Ghost is risky as they fight to make the playoffs.

Kaplan is quite reliable I'd say.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
lol

STEVE YZERMAN IS perhaps the most secretive general manager in the league. He won't even publicly (and for all I know privately) put a timeframe on the Red Wings' rebuild.

so he is so damn secretive that he is going to tell emily kaplan? No not at all because later in this quote she says that he "believes" and "it sounds like" making it all the more clear that this entire story was what she feels like the situation is.

Yeah she brings up sources around the league (won't say exactly of course) but how many times have people said "sources say" when they don't even know themselves! If yzerman is so secretive, how is there other sources around the league?!? What because someone called him a month ago asking if perron was available and yzerman said what do you want to trade me for him? That is called listening to offers on non-core players lol.

Reactions: izlez

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
Well that would be the end of Berggren in Detroit if Papa Perron re-signs, unless Sprong prices himself out. Fischer and Veleno are different role guys.

Defenseman in question are most likely Ghost and Määttä but Määttä can be traded in July and Ghost's value 4th or 5th.

Rumours are rumours but these rumours sounds like that Yzerman stands pat, unless someone wants to really pay up.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
Yeah I feel like dealing Perron was a potential move after December and then January happened. I'd be very shocked if he was dealt now unless we spiraled and fell way out of the race in the next week. I could also see an extension for Perron if he was willing to come in cheaper for another year. To be clear this isn't my preference (skating has fallen off too much) but I could see it happening.

As for the Dmen we really have two guys in Walman (unless we are doing a major upgrade) and Seider that should be off the block. Chia has played well enough that again unless its for an upgrade dealing him would be a hit for our playoff contention. Everyone else is probably equal or worse than Ed.

Stevie needs to free up cap space and roster space next year and he is way more likely to be able to deal one of Maata, Petry, or Holl at the deadline then in the off season. They have term and aren't on great deals but a team might be desperate.

Ghost has really fallen off his play since the first couple of months of the season and but someone needing offense may be willing to overpay. I see zero possibility of him being re-signed so I'm not against dealing him if Stevie gets a good price. Dealing him for a 3rd makes zero sense though.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Lyon is already signed for next year, 900k.

I mentioned it to him yesterday. He's just planning for next season because extending Lyon would be cheaper before the Wings win the Cup next year. Husso's contract ends at the same time, so Stevie will be able to afford giving Lyon the raise he deserves.

Perron is so slow, I'd rather see him walk or take a front office job.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
You know... I said the other day I expected Perron to be signed again.

It's me. I'm the source.

there you go startin' rumors again...

giphy.gif

• Love
Reactions: Bench

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
if dp is really looking to "pay it forward" for the young guys than he needs to willing to take a league minimum contract, or close to it, otherwise it just looks like a cash grab

and what a d*** punch that would be to berggren
I doubt Perron going to get moved, he is very important to this team especially during playoffs.
Perron played in 104 playoff games .
If he agrees for pay cut, give him extra year.
I would not mind at all if he went to a front office role or part of the coaching staff for training or something. But I just don't think he should be on the ice anymore for us. Other teams, have at em.

Reactions: David D

letsgowings9999

May 13, 2023
Yes I'm sure it was a gut punch dealing vrana for a 7th

Pass on perron hes like 36 rather use assets if were gonna pass over our prospects again and go for a younger player like crouse

The Flying Octopus

Sep 18, 2017
Bloomfield Hills, MI

So you’d rather have Chariot over Ghost ?!?

Hahahah oooookkkkaaayyy

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
As for Perron and potentially getting re-signed? Good. Perron, beyond being a solid player, is important to this team. Has all those intangibles some people like to roll their eyes at but which do actually matter to NHL teams. He'll be a valuable guy in the playoffs. Those playoffs that he explicitly stated were his goal when he came to Detroit. He wanted to help this team ascend to that level, and I'll be happy to have him see that through.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad