Patrik Laine and first two NHL playoff games

Gsus

MVP
Feb 20, 2014
Pori, Finland
The Jets are feasting on arguably the easiest first round opponent (outside of Philly) this year.
You mean the Flyers that beat the back to back champs yesterday 5-1?

Ofc there's always an excuse. I'd love to see Laine hoist the Cup and win the Conn Smythe as well this year. What would the excuse then be? He doesn't even have to do half of that and he would've still had great post season. See, how he's playing right now is lights out and believe me he probably would thrive against better opponents also which we will see in the coming weeks.

Why are you even trying to take anything away from him? I don't go into Matthews threads and tell everyone that he isn't for real its only a weaker opponent. Come on. If you've watched the two playoff games he's played in, he's had everything going on. Complete player as a sniper winger, could you imagine?

Last edited:

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Sorry can you quote me where I said let's see them win a game? I knew the Jets were the real deal. It's no secret they have one of the easier paths to the conference finals vs other teams.. However we know that will be ignored when people talk about the playoffs if certain teams are eliminated and others aren't.

Those Preds are pretty gud

And the Wild had 4 less pts than the Leafs..

Ny rillataan

Timo Jutila
Jan 7, 2017
Toronto
Sorry can you quote me where I said let's see them win a game? I knew the Jets were the real deal. It's no secret they have one of the easier paths to the conference finals vs other teams.. However we know that will be ignored when people talk about the playoffs if certain teams are eliminated and others aren't.

One of the easiest paths to the conference finals which more than likely includes facing the President's Trophy winners in the second round? Sure.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Ah I see, now I realize what this is about. Making this thread about the Leafs, also?

I hope you realize that Jets earned their easier route. If Leafs had had the same amount of points in the regular season, they'd have been playing against New Jersey Devils.

Furthermore, Nashville Predators would be the likely second round opponent and entering playoffs were seen as the strongest team in NHL by many. Therefore, you just are objectively incorrect. About as incorrect as you've been about Laine up until this point, I'd estimate.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
This kid's something special. Amazing how well he has started playoffs. Hope he keeps going that strong, just wow.

Thoughts?
Im impressed. The Jets have a fantastic player thats for sure. Entertaining to see him doing so well and Ive been called a Jets hater by some :laugh:

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
At least in this case yes... refers to this actually, all the way from the 70s:
hqdefault.jpg

DYqxl0wX4AARTHX.jpg

And we put a Finnish braintrust together at the Jets board and got each other convinced that Laine is doing it to intentionally irk especially Kaptain Koivu who has a serious TPS background.

Reactions: Aggie204 and Plural

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
He has a career 11.2 shooting % and put up 17.4% this year. It's clear to everyone that while he had a great season, he was very lucky and will not reproduce that again. The Jets are feasting on arguably the easiest first round opponent (outside of Philly) this year.

Good for them, good for Laine. I watched both games and they have been clearly the better team. All I said was before we go proclaiming Laine the greatest ever like many have been doing, let's see him and the Jets do it against a team with a chance at the cup.

I’m not arguing with you about Staal likelihood of scoring 40+ goals next year....I agree he likely he won’t. But he’s currently on a hot streak this year which happens at times and he’s played out of his mind.

I would say the Wild are in the bottom three teams in the playoffs and I would say that’s why teams play the regular season so they can end up higher in the standings if they are good enough so they don’t have to play any of the top 4-5 teams in the nhl in the 1st round.....credit goes to the Jets for doing that.

I’m fine with people checking posters who make wild and crazy statements about Laine or any Jets player......you don’t see me making any wild claims about Laine. I only only respond if the post is unfair imo or a preemptive post slamming a player when no one has even stated anything unrealistic just bc last week someone posted something dumb about a player. As a Leaf fan I’m sure you see it a lot and understand that point.

Reactions: Kamiccolo

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
You mean the Flyers that beat the back to back champs yesterday 5-1?

Ofc there's always an excuse. I'd love to see Laine hoist the Cup and win the Conn Smythe as well this year. What would the excuse then be? He doesn't even have to do half of that and he would've still had great post season. See, how he's playing right now is lights out and believe me he probably would thrive against better opponents also which we will see in the coming weeks.

Why are you even trying to take anything away from him?

If we can't even question him, why not just hand the Jets the cup right now and give Laine a sweep of the hardware? Because the game isn't played on paper. Draisatl proved last year that a single series means nothing in terms of future production. Some players just line up well against certain teams and struggle against others.

We need a bigger sample size than 2 games and 1 opponent is all I am saying.

Mad Dog Tannen

Apr 10, 2010
Im impressed. The Jets have a fantastic player thats for sure. Entertaining to see him doing so well and Ive been called a Jets hater by some :laugh:

Bahahahahaha!

Sorry your wild in 4 prediction didn’t come through. One of only 17 posters made that vote, there’s only so much jets love we can take. Tone it down!

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Bahahahahaha!

Sorry your wild in 4 prediction didn’t come through. One of only 17 posters made that vote, there’s only so much jets love we can take. Tone it down!
Its ok Ive never got all my preddies right anyways doggy so theres that you guys must be very happy with your first two playoff victories ever

Reactions: Plural

Gsus

MVP
Feb 20, 2014
Pori, Finland
If we can't even question him, why not just hand the Jets the cup right now and give Laine a sweep of the hardware? Because the game isn't played on paper. Draisatl proved last year that a single series means nothing in terms of future production. Some players just line up well against certain teams and struggle against others.

We can and should sometimes question him. It just seems that the questions are getting answered all the time in the Jets' favor.. We've (Finns/fans following him closely) seen this before before he came in the NHL. After that all questions have pretty much been answered.

I'm saying that at some point the doubters should go silent. We are expecting big things from Laine, and he's delivering.

Two years ago he wasn't going to score as easily on NHL goalies as the FEL "trash" goalies. He's done it and the list goes on and on.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011

Fair comment and I agree

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
Sorry can you quote me where I said let's see them win a game? I knew the Jets were the real deal. It's no secret they have one of the easier paths to the conference finals vs other teams. However we know that will be ignored when people talk about the playoffs if certain teams are eliminated and others aren't.

What???????

If we can beat the Wild, we have the best team in the NHL waiting for us in the next round (unless they collapse to Colorado but I don't see that happening).

That team includes this years Vezina winning goaltender, the best D-core in the league, and a fantastic group of forwards.

I don't want to start talking second round because anything can still happen in the first but the Preds scare the crap out of me.

Gsus

MVP
Feb 20, 2014
Pori, Finland
One thing I cannot wrap my head around is how calm he is.

19 years old. Playing in a massive game in a barn full of people losing their minds and he's just cool as a cucumber.
Also the things he does and says. Playing the violin in front of a Wild bench towards his own, he gives no shit. And it's like nobody even cares because of the boss he is.

And he backs up his comments. Time after time.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
What???????

If we can beat the Wild, we have the best team in the NHL waiting for us in the next round (unless they collapse to Colorado but I don't see that happening).

Jets have one of the easier first rounds, credit goes to the Jets for finishing 2nd OA and earning that right. They also have the toughest 2nd round to get through in the nhl, aka the Preds.

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
Also the things he does and says. Playing the violin in front of a Wild bench towards his own, he gives no ****. And it's like nobody even cares because of the boss he is.

And he backs up his comments. Time after time.

I both loved and hated the violin thing. Like you said, it's great to see a guy throw some smack around and back it up but DON'T GIVE THE WILD CORK BOARD MATERIAL!

We dominated game 2 but I want the Wild players leaving that game feeling dejected....not angry.

.............I still loved it though ;)

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
Jets have one of the easier first rounds, credit goes to the Jets for finishing 2nd OA and earning that right. They also have the toughest 2nd round to get through in the nhl, aka the Preds.

I'll give ya the first part. When Suter went down, I felt way more calm about this matchup.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
For sure. Although the one knock someone could give is that the Wild are not a very good team, and it will be interesting to see how he does when he faces an actual cup threat like Nashville for example. However no one can point to him in this series and say he hasn't been a factor.

Yeah, the Wild are very weak. :sarcasm: They only finished 3rd in the toughest Div in the NHL. They would have been 2nd in the Pacific or the Metropolitan. They were 8th over all in the league. Just terrible! :sarcasm:

Is Nashville the only example you could think of for an actual test of how good he is? He must be pretty flippin' good then! :)

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
Yeah, the Wild are very weak. :sarcasm: They only finished 3rd in the toughest Div in the NHL. They would have been 2nd in the Pacific or the Metropolitan. They were 8th over all in the league. Just terrible! :sarcasm:

Is Nashville the only example you could think of for an actual test of how good he is? He must be pretty flippin' good then! :)

Not to mention the Wild play a collapsing style defense which is a perfect counter to Laine.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Your last sentence here is fine. Your earlier comment, belittling Laine by belittling the opposition was not. That is what everybody is taking exception to.

It would be easier all around if you would simply concede that it was a poorly thought out comment and move on. Otherwise the argument just expands and goes OT - as it has done. :)

Plural

Mar 10, 2011

I'm pretty sure you were calling out all Leafs posters similarly when they raved about Matthews last season playoffs instead of being among the posters who read a lot in to the 6 games?

Your intellectual dishonesty is palpable.

Reactions: SamSteelFan4Ever

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad