Patrik Laine and first two NHL playoff games

Johnny HFBOARDS

Trade you!
Dec 10, 2011
Earth
incredulous.gif

The belief around here is often that Leafs fans bring Matthews up into Laine threads. Well, here are two non-Leafs fans bringing up Matthews in a Laine thread.

And we're good with having Matthews, thank you.
Hook line and ....
WH_EMAI_TUNA_010917_02.jpg

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
Great first two playoff games, indeed.

Though, I have some difficulties to comprehend how "easy feasting" against "bad" team in the playoffs round one can be perceived anyway bad thing as the purpose and the reward of grinding through full 82 games regular season is to get as "bad" opponent as possible in playoffs, while by definition there are no such teams in POs.

Laine is one of last guys in Jets to be blamed for the team's good seed in POs.

How Leafs #34 has anything to do with Laine's first two games, I have no idea. Is he in loan to Wild?

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
The BPA is back in action tomorrow. I am getting that feeling, on observation not gut. He is starting to feel it again. I last said this before his crazy March. So look out if he does. Watching Pasta do what he is doing now against the Leafs, these young players are fun to watch.

Reactions: LAINEC and kelsier

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
The goal in Game 1 was class.

I'm not sure about game 2 (didn't watch it!) but the best part was his level of engagement in game 1. He was in the thick of things for good chunks of the game. You can really see his development in comparison to the start of the season when people were down on him. The feet aren't "stuck in the mud" any longer and that's a wonderful sight.

Saitama

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 20, 2010
Winnipeg
I have a bility to change Plural. I use to hate the Sharks cause they were chockers but then they made it to the finals there was NO REASON anymore. The Jets have done what I predicted they could NOT do but here we are and Patrick Laine is playing like a true star. Thats something i cant just keep holding a pov that was clearly incorrect about him or about the Jets just completely bombing when thats NOT the case
I'm probably one of the people who call you out the most on the stuff you say about the Jets, but you've been nothing but complimentary and civil in this thread. :thumbu:

ijk

Oct 3, 2006
Helsinki, Finland
I have over 40 times more likes then you and youve been on this forum for over two years longer then me pal so Ill take your attack with a grain of salt :laugh:

The like system came to HF a year ago, so I don't how it is really even relevant that the poster has been here two years longer.

It's kind of like boasting that you've read the New Testament more than someone who lived before Christ was born.

Back to Laine. He has been impressive and he has been entertaining. Number one reason I follow the playoffs ever since Edmonton was eliminated (yeah yeah, I know, I did also watch the 6 months of the regular season after the Oil were done).

Ajaton Azer

A small hamster
Dec 5, 2005
Spandex
I think that scoring two goals in two playoff games is very nice beginning to a succesful career in ice hockey. Patrik Laine is such a natural scorer that more is surely to be come.

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
Hopefully Jets win in 5 games against Wilds, and Laine finish them off with a hat-trick at MTS to seal the deal...

Jul 16, 2013
Edmonton
I want to see him arrive on a horse and wagon for the next game. Playing a very small violin, he can basically do what he wants at this point. This Laine guy is unstoppable.

Last edited:
Reactions: Legend Leinonen

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I've visited Ontario...but hey, don't let that stop you from bringing up Matthews in a Laine thread.
Your opinions (ever changing) of Little is all I need to know about you.

Reactions: Plural

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
He's a gamer no doubt. I had no worries that he wouldn't produce in the playoffs.

This is what he had to say about himself & the playoffs before it even started (English translated):

"- These [playoff] games are like tailored for me.

- I've heard someone characterize me as being "best when under pressure" and that's how it goes. I really like to play these games where there's a lot of pressure. Playoff series suit me very well. I think I'm at my best when playing these.

- I want to finish the games, I want to win. There's a lot of players whose hands get shaky when you should finish the games or put the puck to the empty net when it's the deciding moment, but that's not me. Those are the moments when you need to be calm and believe in yourself.

- Now I want the puck even more. I want the puck in the moment when the games are being decided. It's a fact that after those opportunities a single game will soon be over. You have to be able to finish when the opportunity comes, and that's what you aim to do."

Source: Mestaruuksia ratkoneelta Patrik Laineelta tervettä uhoa NHL:n pudotuspelien alla: "Monella alkaa käsi täristä, kun pelejä aletaan ratkoa"

Of course it doesn't come as a surprise to many Finns that he's of to a hot start as we've already seen what he can be capable of at playoffs or big games in general. I've often thought his mind is like an ice, considering the way he can elevate his game when it matters the most while having some strange gift of nature of not letting the pressure get to him.

Laine being on the ice 5 times out of 7 when the Jets have scored a goal is kind of telling. The Wilds are doing everything they simply can to contain him which opens ice to his team mates. Considering that his time on the ice in the first game was something like 16+ and on the second 15+ minutes, makes it pretty terrific. He hasn't only excelled at the offensive end but has been playing great two-way game this far. A thrilling player to watch and the games have barely even started.

Oh and lets not forget the development of the beard. The bigger it grows the better he plays. Who knows what tricks are still hidden in there?

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I have over 40 times more likes then you and youve been on this forum for over two years longer then me pal so Ill take your attack with a grain of salt :laugh:
Stop dishonoring the like system, neophyte.

Mad Dog Tannen

Apr 10, 2010

I would like to nominate boeser for mayor of the Internet!

This post highlights your maturity so well. It’s like you should be embarrassed but are bragging instead, this level of self awareness is thru the floor!

Tdpjets

Dec 30, 2017
if you play man coverage to take away laine's space, then the jets defense will walk in from the blue line, like in game 2 when myers juked zucker and beat dubnyk.
Other teams can take away the one timer, but laine's ability to juke then shoot is unstoppable. Just like in game 1 when he tied the game at 2-2, laine managed to control the puck, juke/spin away from parise, make the pass to stastny, then cut around stastny, then snipe.
I was talking about Eric Staal not Laine. I don't think anyone questions Laine's shot when he is given the space to use it, but some people do question how he will do when he faces good teams who take away his time and space.

Do or Die

Jun 28, 2011
Even that beard is psychological warfare......the last thing goaltenders see, before the puck whistles by them.....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad